BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
gk10002000

Foreigners Arrested for Not Carrying Passport

I just read the news article where the Thai police were checking on many bars and arrested several foreigners for not carrying their passports. I would never normally carry my passport around. I keep it "locked up" in my hotel safe. I do carry a copy of the ID page from my passport on me. The article didn't say if something like that would be good enough or if any of the falangs offered to show that instead of their passports.

• Like 1

This above is all true however since 2011 they are now accepting those small laminated copies of your passport however you SHOULD have bothe the "face page" on the front and your "visa) page on the back but the OP is correct as Pattaya has a new "police cheif" and has already done a walk down (himselfe involved too) and is plannng on a "round up" type of situation so if you DON'T have your originsl documents then I reccoment that you do get the above.

• Like 1

Thai drivers license has passport number but in 3 years I have never been asked to produce a passport,

• Like 1

I read the story on Pattaya One and the falangs seemed to have been in a dodgy bar. The bar in question had been on the police radar for sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Thai drivers license has passport number but in 3 years I have never been asked to produce a passport,

Means nothing, that was the passport number you had when you got your license. It now may be expired or even worse you are here on an overstay. Don't count on the police accepting your license as proof of your legality

• Like 1

Means nothing, that was the passport number you had when you got your license. It now may be expired or even worse you are here on an overstay. Don't count on the police accepting your license as proof of your legality

I always thought only immigration officer's could demand to see your passport, police could only request a photo id?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So then I can not leave my passport at an embassy to get a visa ;)

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Never had a problem presenting just my driver licence.

My guess is that these arrests were made for other reasons. The cops probably thought the foreigners were acting suspiciously, and then it was a question of finding a reason for arrest to win more time to investigate them. Maybe they forgot the drugs testing kit at the station.

I doubt the average Pattaya visitor would get arrested.

• Like 1

You *are* required to present documentation of your immigrations status on demand, and for 99% of us that is our passport.

"Presenting" doesn't mean "presenting the passport that you must be carrying on you at all times."

This has been discussed ad nauseam here on TV. Look up the many previous threads. Nobody's ever been able to find any law saying that foreigners must carry their passports, specifically, at all times. Nobody's been fined or deported for not doing so. (If you think there is such a law, then quote it.) They must have a passport, yes. So you can be detained until you produce it, if BiB or Immigration so chooses. If you have no passport, the obvious follows. What else is new?

Keep carrying those copies and DL.

Prostitution is illegal in Thailand, that's why Pat Pong, Soi Cowboy, and Nana Plaza don't really exist; who are you going to believe, ME, or your lying eyes? If you really believe in the event that your unfortunate enough to be in a bar that is raided and that you recollect that there is NO law stipulating that you are required to produce your passport or that there is a 24 hour period that you are entitled to produce, then Knock yourself out. I've been in those situations personally and anyone without a passport or carrying copies eventually cashed-out just to go home.

Edited by TimTang
  • Like 1

you may be detained until it is presented. OK if you have some one to bring it straight from home. Not so good if you do not as you will be in a cell until someone does.

• Like 1