Foreigners Arrested for Not Carrying Passport

gk10002000

In 23 years i have never carried my passport ,my dribing license has always been accepted and before when they were just paper ones i used to get a photcopy of my passport ,that was accepted as well.

Presumably you mean your dribbling license?

what dribbling? does that mean because he has a car so he has dribbling licence?smile.png

"Most hotels do not allow you to bring your key when going out". ??!! Total BS. Rubbish. Some (certainly nowhere near a majority) may prefer or even ask that you don't, but I've NEVER EVER had an issue made of it. Not once. And I almost always take mine with me, being careful to remove it from the hotel 'plank' (not always possible, but usually so) so that if IT'S stolen, the thief can't tell my room no. or hopefully even the hotel it's from, or perhaps even that its a room-key to begin with. You are correct that these keys are usually duplicates, plus there's almost always a master or two floating around. But WRT the possibility of staff theft, a great deal depends on the category of hotel we're talking about. Yeah - I wouldn't have much confidence in a dorm-style backpackers places, or the dirt-cheap guest houses, but I don't stay in them and probably wouldn't leave important or valuable stuff lying around in them if I could possibly avoid it. But I've stayed in a LOT of hotels, and a LOT in Thailand, over many years, and NEVER had a problem with theft. Does that mean it NEVER happens? Of course not. No such thing as "riskless"; risks have to be weighed. But comparing risk for risk, the risk of a reasonably reputable hotel room, esp. if you're not flaunting lots of cash, jewelry, etc., is MUCH less than the risk of having your pockets picked in Thailand (and many other places as well). And the Interpol numbers seem to provide convincing evidence of that.

Oh, and it's possible to carry with you an add-on lock for room safes (can be fitted on all but a few) that deters entry, even if a would-be thief has a master key or universal code or whatever. I have one of these, but often don't even bother with it.

Lastly, with respect to the room thefts in Thailand one DOES read about from time to time, I've never heard of one where it was travel documents taken or thought to have been the principal object of the theft... And I don't wonder. A competent pickpocket can much more easily lift wallets & passports on the street, and evade more & more ubiquitous surveillance cameras, than he can inside a hotel.

I don't have much time reading your very long explanations.

But I made glance on this below:

Oh, and it's possible to carry with you an add-on lock for room safes (can be fitted on all but a few) that deters entry, even if a would-be thief has a master key or universal code or whatever. I have one of these, but often don't even bother with it.

How's that and and where can I buy one? Interesting that it is allowed to use in hotels? Does that not need a door locking device that hotels have it?

Edited by Rimmer
Fonts

I've found this ID helpful when dealing with police all over SEA. Of course, that photo isnt me - it would be silly for me to even pretend to be someone I'm not in Thailand, wouldnt it ? wink.png

$_35.JPG

All I thought it's my son's photosmile.png

"Most hotels do not allow you to bring your key when going out". ??!! Total BS. Rubbish. Some (certainly nowhere near a majority) may prefer or even ask that you don't, but I've NEVER EVER had an issue made of it. Not once. And I almost always take mine with me, being careful to remove it from the hotel 'plank' (not always possible, but usually so) so that if IT'S stolen, the thief can't tell my room no. or hopefully even the hotel it's from, or perhaps even that its a room-key to begin with. You are correct that these keys are usually duplicates, plus there's almost always a master or two floating around. But WRT the possibility of staff theft, a great deal depends on the category of hotel we're talking about. Yeah - I wouldn't have much confidence in a dorm-style backpackers places, or the dirt-cheap guest houses, but I don't stay in them and probably wouldn't leave important or valuable stuff lying around in them if I could possibly avoid it. But I've stayed in a LOT of hotels, and a LOT in Thailand, over many years, and NEVER had a problem with theft. Does that mean it NEVER happens? Of course not. No such thing as "riskless"; risks have to be weighed. But comparing risk for risk, the risk of a reasonably reputable hotel room, esp. if you're not flaunting lots of cash, jewelry, etc., is MUCH less than the risk of having your pockets picked in Thailand (and many other places as well). And the Interpol numbers seem to provide convincing evidence of that.

Lastly, with respect to the room thefts in Thailand one DOES read about from time to time, I've never heard of one where it was travel documents taken or thought to have been the principal object of the theft... And I don't wonder. A competent pickpocket can much more easily lift wallets & passports on the street, and evade more & more ubiquitous surveillance cameras, than he can inside a hotel.

How's that and and where can I buy one? Interesting that it is allowed to use in hotels? Does that not need a door locking device that hotels have it?

Milockie. Google it. Not for doors; it's for safes. You're paying for the room; the hotel has nothing to say about it.

Milockie. Google it. Not for doors; it's for safes. You're paying for the room; the hotel has nothing to say about it.

Poor reviews on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Milockie-17312-Hotel-Safe-Lock/dp/B0042WWMA8

In 23 years i have never carried my passport ,my dribing license has always been accepted and before when they were just paper ones i used to get a photcopy of my passport ,that was accepted as well.

Presumably you mean your dribbling license? laugh.png

its just that i have taken to dribling in my old age ,especially when driving.biggrin.png

Presumably you mean your dribbling license? laugh.png

its just that i have taken to dribling in my old age ,especially when driving.biggrin.png

You me both. laugh.png

It may be one of these pictures in the link below:

https://www.google.com.ph/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=o7wvU674EsmE8Qey9IHgBg#q=Milockie+images

Still destroyable but yeah, it discourage the thief to enter your room because he needs something to destroy if he forces to.

The "foreigners" in this case were most likely Laos or Cambodian and were arrested for not having a passport at all, not tourists or expats who just didn't have their passport with them.

Sent from my GT-S7270L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

The "foreigners" in this case were most likely Laos or Cambodian and were arrested for not having a passport at all, not tourists or expats who just didn't have their passport with them.

Sent from my GT-S7270L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

not only Laos or Cambodians but also any other foreigners when chanced by hungry policemen or the strict ones.

Poor reviews on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Milockie-17312-Hotel-Safe-Lock/dp/B0042WWMA8

'Works for me... When I use it, I put a photo or two on my cell after installing it (and really - if you've got two brain cells to rub together it ain't rocket science...). The real point is to be able to show that the room was entered and the safe tampered with. No, it's only a relative deterrent; it won't stop a determined thief with time & tools or withstand a nuclear blast. Nothing will. But really, depending on the type of places you stay in (and what the ladies would call your "bling" index...), the risk of theft is overblown. Each to his own.

So then I can not leave my passport at an embassy to get a visa wink.png

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My passport is always at immigration, to be picked up in the morning.

• 5 years later...