Foreigners Arrested for Not Carrying Passport

gk10002000

On that same link, you will see a Maj. from Bangkok stating this:

"Tourists must carry their passports with them at all times. This is an international rule. A passport is like an ID card; if you dont have it with you, the police may arrest you.

There is no such "international rule". Only local rules apply and these inevitably vary from country to country.

Having been to almost 90 countries now, most have a requirement you be in physical possession of your passport. Maybe not all, but if traveling in a foreign country, it's best to have it on you.

• Like 1

else is new?I have read the laws and several legal opinions on this. There are 2 laws. One that requires every person to carry state issued identification (whether you are Thai or a foreigner). Your Thai DL accomplishes this. If you don't have a Thai DL, then carrying your passport on you does become a legal requirement. (It's called the Thai ID card act.) The other law, an immigration law, states that every alien must prove they have entered the kingdom legally if asked by a competent official. For this usually a copy is sufficient. But they may not be convinced and require you to produce the original. During this time they can detain you. There is no law in Thailand specifically requiring you to carry your passport. Period.

Edit: Just realized Jsixpack provided a link to a post I made a few months ago on this topic where I list references. Here it is again.

Please be more specific with your references. Some are in Thai and hard to translate. One you did reference was this one:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand

By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport on request.

I've yet to see a reference to an official website saying a passport and visa are not required to be either on your person or available within a "reasonable" timeframe.

More than a little rude isn't it to demand someone be more specific with his references and to complain that one is hard to read because it is an original document and in thai.

Sorry, but I'd really like to get to the bottom of this. We sure would hate to be providing inaccurate information to people reading this, right? The reference I gave is from a Thai government's website with an English translation of the immigration law. I wish I could read Thai, but can't!

These threads always go on for pages arguing about this. And for good reason. A definitive answer seems to be illusive.

Edit: nomadjoe seems to have put some time into researching this. Thanks!!

I'll post this again:

This has been argued many times here on this forum. Here's an interesting post from a member:

http://www.thaivisa....-4#entry5452041

The Thai law is clear as mud. Which is how they like it. Open to interpretation. This link shows the laws translated as best we can:

http://www.thaivisa....92#entry5443292

And here's another listing of the laws:

Section 58 : Any alien who has no lawful document for entering the Kingdom under Section 12 (1); or has no Residence Certificate under this Act; and also has no identification in accordance with the Law on Alien registration, is considered to have entered into the Kingdom in violation to this Act.

Section 59 :The Director General, or the competent official deputized by Director General, shall have the authority to arrest and suppress any person violating this Act. They shall also have the authority to issue a subpoena, warrant of arrest or search, make arrest , search , or detain. They shall also have the authority to conduct inquiry into the offense against the provisions of this Act in the same manner as the inquiry official under the Criminal Procedure Code.

It's true most here have never been asked for their passport. It's also true many have been and have had to pay money or end up at the local police station if they didn't have their passport on them. And as we all know, the BiB like ways to make money. This is an easy one.

The second link above has some good information also. So far, this is the most definitive information I've been able to find. Which for most of us, basically says you need to be able to present your visa (which is in your passport) if asked or be "possibly" fined/cited/arrested. Up to the officer involved. Clear as mud.

...and about as likely as a foot of snow on Sukhumvit...

While I have never been stopped in the street and asked for my passport when I was at Pattaya Police station recently making a complaint about a neighbor I was asked for it. I handed over my Thai DL and a laminated minatureised colour photocopy of my passport and current visa. Mr. Plod was more than satisfied.

I'll take the risk that this is OK as having lost one passport already I know the hassle you go through to get a new one. When traveling out of province however I'll carry the original.

I think there is little doubt that they can detain you to get the passport (and that does not mean they have to take you to get it. There may be times you can pay a little bit of money...these are probably revenue busts but there are times that money will not fixd it.

I have personally had this happen.

It gets to a question of what are the odds. Well they are probably a bit safer than travelling on a no name intercity tour bus. Most times you arrive safely at your destination but occasionally some do not.

Personally I do not carry my passport near home but I do when I go to the city of Chiangrai usually. If I forget it though here I do not worry as I have someone who can get it from home quickly.

Many do not have that luxury so I would be very hesitant to have it left in a locked safe and have to eventually rely on a volunteer tourist policeman to go and get it.

Up to you.

quote:

I just read the news article where the Thai police were checking on many bars and arrested several foreigners for not carrying their passports. I would never normally carry my passport around. I keep it "locked up" in my hotel safe. I do carry a copy of the ID page from my passport on me. The article didn't say if something like that would be good enough or if any of the falangs offered to show that instead of their passports.

article link please or reference and source?

thanks

quote:

I just read the news article where the Thai police were checking on many bars and arrested several foreigners for not carrying their passports. I would never normally carry my passport around. I keep it "locked up" in my hotel safe. I do carry a copy of the ID page from my passport on me. The article didn't say if something like that would be good enough or if any of the falangs offered to show that instead of their passports.

article link please or reference and source?

thanks

Once again, I believe this was the incident the OP was refering to

http://www.pattayaon...r-pattaya-bars/

• Like 1

I was always told Thai Driving licence is ok instead f passport. but when police get greedy what they say becomes the law. We had the same last year in jomtiem at road blocks. was only 200 baht fine to getout of it but am sure immigration issues makes us more scared and we pay up more easily

apart from the name-page of your passport the following may be required:

- copy of your visa/exempt-stamp/entry-stamp

- copy of the departure card

- copy of the 90-day reports if on hand)

Don't give them any reason to hold you.

And yes, usually copies will do.

but if my police friend asks you passport show him passport not copies. If you cannot show, you will be in trouble.

Wichit Police Lieutenant Somboon Malai told The Phuket News that Mykola Chornyi, 30, had been fined B1,000 for disturbing customers and B2,000 for failing to provide his passport when arrested.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/705251-deaf-ukrainian-tourist-arrested-in-phuket-is-fined-bt3000-and-released/?utm_source=newsletter-20140218-1505&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Maybe you will say he should have copies of his passport pages?

but if my police friend asks you passport show him passport not copies. If you cannot show, you will be in trouble.

If your police friend insists on originals and does not give me a chance to get it in the room it means he's thirsty, perhaps you two clowns will be drinking together later ? Probably not, hje will be drinking with other cops not vaselined foreigners.

Edited by paz

Wichit Police Lieutenant Somboon Malai told The Phuket News that Mykola Chornyi, 30, had been fined B1,000 for disturbing customers and B2,000 for failing to provide his passport when arrested.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/705251-deaf-ukrainian-tourist-arrested-in-phuket-is-fined-bt3000-and-released/?utm_source=newsletter-20140218-1505&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

No, I will say he shouldn't have been disturbing the other customers! If you can't mind your manners, remember you're a guest in Thailand, and "fit in", without making a pest out of yourself, then maybe you're one of the few who HAD BETTER be sure & carry his passport. 'Not that it will probably be of much help to you when the police, who can be fairly inventive when it comes to pretext for shakedowns, arrive...

Will NEVER carry my passport with me !! I`ll rather risk interigation at the police station and the 2.000 baht fine.After all you are not gonna be sentenced to death for this rolleyes.gif .

True... clap2.gif

Even a 2000 baht fine is considerably cheaper for me than the cost of of replacing a lost, stolen, or damaged passport. Not to mention the time and hassle of getting a new passport from the Embassy with replacement stamps for entry/exit Visas in it from Thai Immigration!

I've been down that road before. wink.png

I just got this from a friend:

The police in Pattaya are fairly strict on it and if you do not have it and cannot produce it within a short time then you are jailed, if unable to produce within 24 hours its off to Bangkok detention for deportation. It is one of the requirements when making a police report that a valid passport with current visa must be produced.

• Like 2

I just got this from a friend:

The police in Pattaya are fairly strict on it and if you do not have it and cannot produce it within a short time then you are jailed, if unable to produce within 24 hours its off to Bangkok detention for deportation. It is one of the requirements when making a police report that a valid passport with current visa must be produced.

You forgot to say that they will not let you leave to get it...somone else must bring it.

• Like 2

If your police friend insists on originals and does not give me a chance to get it in the room it means he's thirsty, perhaps you two clowns will be drinking together later ? Probably not, hje will be drinking with other cops not vaselined foreigners.

paz,

Yeah, he may be thirsty as I also thought to some policemen if not most of them. He is my friend not because of beer or anything you think against policemen.

I drink but just on occasions but not everytime somebody invites me.

I don't enjoy drinking so don't ever think of me like that.

If you want to see me in person so that you can see if I am what you think of, tell me where I shall we meet

Will NEVER carry my passport with me !! I`ll rather risk interigation at the police station and the 2.000 baht fine.After all you are not gonna be sentenced to death for this rolleyes.gif .

True... clap2.gif

Even a 2000 baht fine is considerably cheaper for me than the cost of of replacing a lost, stolen, or damaged passport. Not to mention the time and hassle of getting a new passport from the Embassy with replacement stamps for entry/exit Visas in it from Thai Immigration!

Why, if you bring your passport with you, are you that reckless that you are sure that it will be lost or damaged?

If you care about your wallet not to be pick-pocketed or lose, treat your passport the same.

No, I will say he shouldn't have been disturbing the other customers! If you can't mind your manners, remember you're a guest in Thailand, and "fit in", without making a pest out of yourself, then maybe you're one of the few who HAD BETTER be sure & carry his passport. 'Not that it will probably be of much help to you when the police, who can be fairly inventive when it comes to pretext for shakedowns, arrive...

Yes, my passport and work permit are always with me. And I aside from the topic here which is about passport, I also hate what that fake deaf foreigner did. I hate not so much on disturbing the customers but his scam work.

True... clap2.gif

Why, if you bring your passport with you, are you that reckless that you are sure that it will be lost or damaged?

If you care about your wallet not to be pick-pocketed or lose, treat your passport the same.

DGIE, obviously you can't read and are trolling.

Like I said, I've been down that road before. I didn't say that I'm sure it will be lost or damaged, but that it was and it was by no fault of me being reckless as you're implying. My passport is one of the most important documents I possess! Hence I won't carry it with me at all times. I'd rather risk the fine.

Remember this: sh*t happens and often by means which you don't have control over!hit-the-fan.gif

• Like 2

True... clap2.gif

DGIE, obviously you can't read and are trolling.

Like I said, I've been down that road before. I didn't say that I'm sure it will be lost or damaged, but that it was and it was by no fault of me being reckless as you're implying. My passport is one of the most important documents I possess! Hence I won't carry it with me at all times. I'd rather risk the fine.

hit-the-fan.gif

I can read and am not trolling. If trolling is what you are doing, don't think of others the same.

With the immense number of foreigners carrying passport with them, I have not heard that many of them complained of lost and damaged.

I was not implying when I asked you that "are you that reckless that you are sure to lose or damaged your passport when bringing it with you? That was a question and not a statement. Know how to differentiate the two.

You know that passport is one of the most important document you posses. It is not intended for keeping but as more than any of your identification specially in a country where you are only an "alien" to it.

If you consider it as one of the most important thing to you, so you will take care of it if you carry it with you.

Remember this: sh*t happens and often by means which you don't have control over!

Agree! Just hope that we will not get shit one day in things we have control of but we pretext to don't have control over it.

For whatever is worth, I have been stopped this morning - again - on the motorcycle on Second Road.

The usual check on tax, insurance and driving license. Then the policeman has asked to see my passport.

Not aggressively but quite firmly. I had it with me (I only started carrying it a few days ago after reading about

all this, never had for years) and have been sent on my way without any problems, but they seem to have instructions

to check.

It must be the flavor of the month, probably it will fade away soon.

• Like 1

Rule 6 in my passport tells me that it is not my property but her majesty's government in the united kingdom and that I have to take good care of it and not give it to any unauthorised person. With the passport being very easy to damage and wear out if you take it out with you everyday of the year for 10 years then you would not be looking after your passport as instructed. The cost of renewal is very expensive and with a lot of visa problems it is not worth the problem of a small fine once in a blue moon for not having the real one to show. So I have a copy in my wallet laminated and also my Thai driving licence. I also have been living here 14 years and so far no police have asked me for my passport but if they did I would show my copy and my Thai licence if that was not good enough then I would ask my wife to come to the police station with my passport. I will never carry my passport.

Regards

Scotsman

Rule 6 in my passport tells me that it is not my property but her majesty's government in the united kingdom and that I have to take good care of it and not give it to any unauthorised person. With the passport being very easy to damage and wear out if you take it out with you everyday of the year for 10 years then you would not be looking after your passport as instructed. The cost of renewal is very expensive and with a lot of visa problems it is not worth the problem of a small fine once in a blue moon for not having the real one to show. So I have a copy in my wallet laminated and also my Thai driving licence. I also have been living here 14 years and so far no police have asked me for my passport but if they did I would show my copy and my Thai licence if that was not good enough then I would ask my wife to come to the police station with my passport. I will never carry my passport.

Regards

Scotsman

Good recommendation if you are where you live. But if traveling around the country, it's best to have your passport on you. I carried my passport with me daily during my many years of traveling around the world. My passport looks well used, but it's still in great shape.

• Like 1