Foreigners Arrested for Not Carrying Passport

gk10002000

For whatever is worth, I have been stopped this morning - again - on the motorcycle on Second Road.

The usual check on tax, insurance and driving license. Then the policeman has asked to see my passport.

Not aggressively but quite firmly. I had it with me (I only started carrying it a few days ago after reading about

all this, never had for years) and have been sent on my way without any problems, but they seem to have instructions

to check.

It must be the flavor of the month, probably it will fade away soon.

I was sitting near Central yesterday watching 4 policeman pullover scores of bikes to check papers, but not one rider was asked to produce a passport?blink.png

In fact, I have never seen a traffic cop ask to see a passport?

Edited by Asiantravel

For whatever is worth, I have been stopped this morning - again - on the motorcycle on Second Road.

The usual check on tax, insurance and driving license. Then the policeman has asked to see my passport.

Not aggressively but quite firmly. I had it with me (I only started carrying it a few days ago after reading about

all this, never had for years) and have been sent on my way without any problems, but they seem to have instructions

to check.

I was sitting near Central yesterday watching 4 policeman pullover scores of bikes to check papers, but not one rider was asked to produce a passport?blink.png

Maybe there were no foreigners among the bikers that's why the policemen didn't ask passport

to check.

Maybe there were no foreigners among the bikers that's why the policemen didn't ask passport

they were 90- 95 % foreigners and mostly touristsblink.png

Edited by Asiantravel

to check.

they were 90- 95 % foreigners and mostly touristsblink.png

Which Central were you sitting at and what is usually the schedule of the policemen to do the checking of papers and I will see if I can go and watch the 90-95% tourists in motorcycles that are not asked for passports?rolleyes.gif

Which Central were you sitting at and what is usually the schedule of the policemen to do the checking of papers and I will see if I can go and watch the 90-95% tourists in motorcycles that are not asked for passports?rolleyes.gif

Beside watching checkpoints do you have an other hobby that can keep your away from banging your tired drum on this forum ?

And no, that is not a real question.

• Like 1

you may be detained until it is presented. OK if you have some one to bring it straight from home. Not so good if you do not as you will be in a cell until someone does.

Scary.

no, scary is being held for inadequate identification by police in your home town.

here, its simply inconvenient.

• Like 1

Beside watching checkpoints do you have an other hobby that can keep your away from banging your tired drum on this forum ?

And no, that is not a real question.

paz,

Do you understand what you are reading and know how to answer questions?

Go back to school and learn how to answer questions properly.

What hobby have I told you? Did I tell you that watching checkpoints is my hobby? OK, show me where I wrote it.

And what have you answered with this - And no, that is not a real question?

I nearly got nicked for not staggering and swearing in a public place i pleaded diminished bar girl with me and they saw her and felt sorry for me

And her if it was a her

Sent from my GT-S5310B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

2nd diminuished brain, patetic off topic posting from you today, do you have any more ?

I nearly got nicked for not staggering and swearing in a public place i pleaded diminished bar girl with me and they saw her and felt sorry for me

And her if it was a her

Sent from my GT-S5310B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

2nd diminuished brain, patetic off topic posting from you today, do you have any more ?

No more for at least the next few weeks.

wai2.gif

• Like 1

From the UK.gov website:

By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport on request. Make sure you complete the next of kin details section in the back of your passport.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/local-laws-and-customs

I remember when I did some commissioning work out in Gibraltar many years ago, I was persuaded buy my employers to find digs on the Spanish side of the boarder, my passport lived in my back pocket for a week, and twice I mislaid it., never again.

As pointed out by many posters how often have you been asked for your passport in Pattaya? well I have never been, the local police are not looking for tourists to shake down, they are looking for our more shadier expat comrades who are overstayers and/or are working illegally in Thailand, they are easy to get tea money out of.

Given the problems that one would encounter should one lose their passport while been out and about, I choose not to carry my passport on my person unless going to the bank etc, I choose to carry a photo copy of my passport photo page and TM card with arrival stamp instead, also good idea on hotel business card, normally a few questions such as how long you been here, where you stay, where you from? will soon separate the tourists from the shady ones, and if you are staying in a hotel a call to reception would clear things up quickly.

I don't know if they keep them for the duration of your stay, but hotels do of course make photocopies of your passport on your arrival which get turned over to police or immigration (not sure which, but thai law enforcement would know how to run it down...). Thus there's little reason to throw a legitimate tourist into detention, much less proceed to deportation, solely because he doesn't have his passport on him, and with no opportunity to produce it, unless they have some other reason for wanting to, and just need the pretext. And, well, some guys are just full of, um, pretext...

Again, if it makes you feel better and the possibility of its being lost or stolen doesn't concern you, then by all means carry it. But I'd bet most experienced visitors to Thailand don't, that fear of loss is the major reason why, and either carry a photocopy, a laminated copy, or don't even bother with copies at all, particularly if not renting cars or motorbikes for their stay, which probably accounts for most encounters between RTP and foreigners in the first place. I'm guessing that being caught up in drug sweeps is the first runner up, and that having some pissed-off local drop the dime on you the 2nd runner up for said encounters.

Now if I'm a Thai policeman, and some foreigner asks me over drinks if they should carry their passport at all times, what do you think my answer is going to be? Duh!

• Like 1

I am not sure whether the law says all foreigners have carry a passport or acceptable ID at all times, but then either the legislation and/or the officers enforcing the legislation should give leeway, what I am trying to say is it would be unreasonable for them to stand on the beach and arrest everybody coming out the sea for not carrying ID.

I do think it is reasonable in any country including the UK that law enforcement can detain anybody until their true identity can be verified, as for immigration status virtually every country has a computerized database that this can be checked very quickly.

To carry only photo copy is probably not lawful as it can not be checked for the security features that prevent fraud, but I do so based on it being a sensible option as long as I am not travelling out of area.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

True... clap2.gif

Even a 2000 baht fine is considerably cheaper for me than the cost of of replacing a lost, stolen, or damaged passport. Not to mention the time and hassle of getting a new passport from the Embassy with replacement stamps for entry/exit Visas in it from Thai Immigration!

I've been down that road before. wink.png

Why, if you bring your passport with you, are you that reckless that you are sure that it will be lost or damaged?

If you care about your wallet not to be pick-pocketed or lose, treat your passport the same.

DGIE, obviously you can't read and are trolling.

Like I said, I've been down that road before. I didn't say that I'm sure it will be lost or damaged, but that it was and it was by no fault of me being reckless as you're implying. My passport is one of the most important documents I possess! Hence I won't carry it with me at all times. I'd rather risk the fine.

hit-the-fan.gif

I can read and am not trolling. If trolling is what you are doing, don't think of others the same.

With the immense number of foreigners carrying passport with them, I have not heard that many of them complained of lost and damaged.

I was not implying when I asked you that "are you that reckless that you are sure to lose or damaged your passport when bringing it with you? That was a question and not a statement. Know how to differentiate the two.

You know that passport is one of the most important document you posses. It is not intended for keeping but as more than any of your identification specially in a country where you are only an "alien" to it.

If you consider it as one of the most important thing to you, so you will take care of it if you carry it with you.

Remember this: sh*t happens and often by means which you don't have control over!

Agree! Just hope that we will not get shit one day in things we have control of but we pretext to don't have control over it.

Interesting footnote on missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370. NBC News is reporting that two of the passengers were carrying passports previously reported stolen. 'Guess WHERE. Yeap. Stolen in Thailand (one from an Austrian, the other from an Italian). The same article also mentions that Interpol maintains a database of lost & stolen travel documents. Guess how many. OVER 39 MILLION, from 166 countries! (I realize that's a cumulative, pretty much world-wide, number, and not just passports. But jeez - 39 million?!)

You say you "have not heard that many of them complained of lost and damaged". Well, now you've heard of more than 39 million. And one of the possibilities concerning these two stolen passports in particular, stolen in Thailand, is that they may have been used by terrorists...

239 passengers and crew...

• Like 1

They have not even found flight 370 yet, There is reason to believe two passengers had stolen passports but as the cause of the crash has not been determined yet, to say those who used the passports were terrorists who blew the plane up is unfounded speculation.

offtopic.gif.pagespeed.ce.ifZtFTWxj3.png

This is getting a bit off topic as this is also being discussed here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/709464-missing-malaysia-airlines-jet-carrying-239-triggers-southeast-asia-search/ and here coffee1.gif

• Like 1

They have not even found flight 370 yet, There is reason to believe two passengers had stolen passports but as the cause of the crash has not been determined yet, to say those who used the passports were terrorists who blew the plane up is unfounded speculation.

This is getting a bit off topic as this is also being discussed here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/709464-missing-malaysia-airlines-jet-carrying-239-triggers-southeast-asia-search/ and here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/709351-contact-lost-with-malaysia-airlines-plane-with-239-people-on-board/ coffee1.gif

And Here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/709672-missing-plane-highlights-phukets-stolen-passport-trade/

This is getting a bit off topic as this is also being discussed here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/709464-missing-malaysia-airlines-jet-carrying-239-triggers-southeast-asia-search/ and here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/709351-contact-lost-with-malaysia-airlines-plane-with-239-people-on-board/ coffee1.gif

You don't read very well, do you? I didn't SAY they were terrorists. Just that it's a possibility.

And it's not off-topic - 'has to do with the real risk of having your passport stolen while carrying it, rather than leaving it locked up, which has been a thread within this topic. One poster seemed to think the possibility of theft is remote...

You're not the topic police. Get off your high horse and let people talk.

Edited by hawker9000

I'm a bit late arriving at this thread, as I missed it when it was started and I rely on email notifications to keep me up to date. Hence I responded in a similar thread which our esteemed mod decreed must be closed.

Anyway, what I posted there is probably a bit 'old hat' at this stage,(after 7 pages of posts), but here it is anyway:

Despite all those legal experts who maintain otherwise, I am personally quite convinced that the Thai law requires aliens to carry their passports with them at all times.

In any event, I would hardly be in position to challenge the police on a point of law, should they demand to see my passport.

That being said, since I returned to Thailand in 2,000, there has not been a single occasion when any policeman has ever asked to see my passport - not even during the years when I was drinking and carousing on a nightly basis in the bars of Bangkok, Pattaya and elsewhere until the small hours.

But I completely agree with those who never carry their passports with them

I always carry my driving licence and a laminated copy of my passport which also shows my current visa extension. In the unlikely event that the cops are not satisfied with either of these, then so be it. I would rather go through the inconvenience of being held until my passport can be brought along, than stand the risk of a corrupt cop or anyone else arbitrarily seizing it.

But as I say, the risk of this happening is so small as to not be worth worrying about.

My passport stays at home. Period.

You don't read very well, do you? I didn't SAY they were terrorists. Just that it's a possibility.

And it's not off-topic - 'has to do with the real risk of having your passport stolen while carrying it, rather than leaving it locked up, which has been a thread within this topic. One poster seemed to think the possibility of theft is remote...

Yes there is a risk of losing ones passport in Thailand, how this compares to the rest of the world I do not know...

And yes, two of the passengers on flight 370 were believed to be using passports stolen in Thailand, and speculation as to why is being discussed on at least 3 other threads...

Edited by Basil B

My passport stays in my condo until I need it for travelling. Thai driver's licence is adequate for booking hotel room in Thailand. The licence also lists my passport number.

This story about passports being stolen in Phuket has left me feeling very uneasy. Anybody travelling on a stolen passport is obviously up to no good, or already wanted for something else.

If you have been stolen of money or other valuables in your bag or pocket, well there is also a possibility that your passport will be stolen while with you. It maybe that you are careless.

Even if your passport is locked up, it is not excused of being stolen.

It may be more prone to theft when left.

If you have been stolen of money or other valuables in your bag or pocket, well there is also a possibility that your passport will be stolen while with you. It maybe that you are careless.

DGIE, you seem to like to imply people are careless with their passports.

According to what's being reported:

The father of the Italian man told The Associated Press that his son’s passport had been stolen about a year and a half ago while traveling in Thailand.

“He deposited it with rental car agency, and when he returned the car it was gone,”

Hardly the case of the Italian being careless!

Edited by BB1950

DGIE, you seem to like to imply people are careless with their passports.

According to what's being reported:

The father of the Italian man told The Associated Press that his son’s passport had been stolen about a year and a half ago while traveling in Thailand.

“He deposited it with rental car agency, and when he returned the car it was gone,”

Hardly the case of the Italian being careless!

If I were the Italian, I would not have deposited my passport.

Why? think why.

When he deposited his passport with the rental car agency,

1) was the passport not kept in safety place?

2) was the passport kept in safety place?

3) Or, was car agency brought the passport wherever they went to so that it was stolen? (impossible)

His passport might not have lost if he brought it by himself. Or locked in his room as others said. It's up to every individual

Except it's not. If by "left", you mean like left with a rental bike outfit or the like, yeah, that's pretty dumb. But locked up in a hotel room safe, it's much safer than in my pocket. Stop trying to imply that anyone who's been pickpocketed is "careless". The pros have it down to a science. You simply don't know what you're talking about, and are absurdly overgeneralizing. There are some good reasons to carry one's passport at all times, fear of a police encounter I suppose being one of them. But security of the passport is NOT one of them.

Except it's not. If by "left", you mean like left with a rental bike outfit or the like, yeah, that's pretty dumb. But locked up in a hotel room safe, it's much safer than in my pocket. Stop trying to imply that anyone who's been pickpocketed is "careless". The pros have it down to a science. You simply don't know what you're talking about, and are absurdly overgeneralizing. There are some good reasons to carry one's passport at all times, fear of a police encounter I suppose being one of them. But security of the passport is NOT one of them.

I was not generalizing people as I know that in every rule, there is always an exemption.

Go back to my post above.

Had you not read the word It "maybe" that you are careless? I did not say "for sure"

you are careless.

With regard to leaving your passport in your hotel room. Do not also absurdly generalize that everything left in hotel are safe. Remember, your hotel key is just a duplicate. The hotel also has their copy of the key and they can get into your room when you are away. Don't generalize that all hotel staffs are good. There maybe one serpent to steal. And most hotels do not allow you to bring your key when going out.

So it's up to you how and where you categorize yourself. Whether you are among the careless or not

Edited by Rimmer
Flame removed

"Most hotels do not allow you to bring your key when going out". ??!! Total BS. Rubbish. Some (certainly nowhere near a majority) may prefer or even ask that you don't, but I've NEVER EVER had an issue made of it. Not once. And I almost always take mine with me, being careful to remove it from the hotel 'plank' (not always possible, but usually so) so that if IT'S stolen, the thief can't tell my room no. or hopefully even the hotel it's from, or perhaps even that its a room-key to begin with. You are correct that these keys are usually duplicates, plus there's almost always a master or two floating around. But WRT the possibility of staff theft, a great deal depends on the category of hotel we're talking about. Yeah - I wouldn't have much confidence in a dorm-style backpackers places, or the dirt-cheap guest houses, but I don't stay in them and probably wouldn't leave important or valuable stuff lying around in them if I could possibly avoid it. But I've stayed in a LOT of hotels, and a LOT in Thailand, over many years, and NEVER had a problem with theft. Does that mean it NEVER happens? Of course not. No such thing as "riskless"; risks have to be weighed. But comparing risk for risk, the risk of a reasonably reputable hotel room, esp. if you're not flaunting lots of cash, jewelry, etc., is MUCH less than the risk of having your pockets picked in Thailand (and many other places as well). And the Interpol numbers seem to provide convincing evidence of that.

Oh, and it's possible to carry with you an add-on lock for room safes (can be fitted on all but a few) that deters entry, even if a would-be thief has a master key or universal code or whatever. I have one of these, but often don't even bother with it.

Lastly, with respect to the room thefts in Thailand one DOES read about from time to time, I've never heard of one where it was travel documents taken or thought to have been the principal object of the theft... And I don't wonder. A competent pickpocket can much more easily lift wallets & passports on the street, and evade more & more ubiquitous surveillance cameras, than he can inside a hotel.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I bet it also very much depends on the attitude of the foreigner.

I see often some guy being very verbal and unpleasant at routine

traffic stops, and I wonder if those four perhaps thought they

where untouchable and tried to tell the cops off ...

In my 20 years here I have never had a problem having my Passport

Copy and/or Thai Drivers license accepted as ID.

luudee

• Like 1