Nice Change Of Pace

ray23

A friend and I treated a local orphange here in Udon to a Ice Cream party today. Teribbly expensive 350 baht each.

Couldn't buy the smiles in a miliion years, trust me we got much then we gave.

post-662-1148734180_thumb.jpg

post-662-1148734267_thumb.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give a little time to some one who can really use it, the rewards are amazing

This little cutie was shy at first wouldn't get in line I wnt and got her, she consumed four Ice Creams then and toddled off I think a tummy ache is coming a no nonsence gal

post-662-1148734760_thumb.jpg

Edited by ray23

The Photos say it all nothing I could add so I wll just post them.

These girls just latched onto my wife

post-662-1148734539_thumb.jpg

Good one ray,

They say that one random act of kindness per day is good for your soul. i am not saying your kind act was random but just as good for the soul

Ray,

That is such a nice thing to do. How did you set that up? Did you just contact the director of the orphange? My wife has talked about doing something like that, but does not know how to go about doing it.

I like your style Ray. Very nice thing to do. Great pics. Thanks for sharing. :D

Nice post Ray.

I do a similar thing at our village school a couple of times a year.

The kids love it and so do I...... :o

Ray,

That is such a nice thing to do. How did you set that up? Did you just contact the director of the orphange? My wife has talked about doing something like that, but does not know how to go about doing it.

A friend had sent to the local girls orphanage and I decided to join him we talked to the administrator in This case I beleive his name was koon Supat. Asked waht we could and could not do. Hi sugggsetion wa start by bringing a treat for the kids ion a Saturday or Sunday. They are really very busy with school through the week.

It was such a rewarding experience I will probably try to get out there a coupple of hours a week.

The next thing I'm working on is a field trip for as many as I can. The VFW has it's fourth of July party here in Udon every year. So I will purchase twenty tickets, the facility will provide supervision, still haven't figured out transportation yet, that depends on how mmany tickets I can come up with.

Truth is the VFW would probably pop for the tickests, but this is thier big fund raiser that is normally used to put together a Christmas party each year. That party is free to all of Udon, so I just don't think it is right to ask them.

That Christmas party is a big deal, along wiht food each child gets a gift wrapped present and sees Sanat Clause many for the first time. So they really need thier funding for that one along with most guys chipping in baht for presents around that time of year.

There are proably many things that can be done individually on the horizon but you have to go slowly, they have to get to know you. I'm happy to say they are very protective of the kids.

The wife is popping for cunnum next weekend when we visit. I think the kids get a o lot of joy out of jusrt having something change thier day a bit. It reminds me of my village rides, just something different happening brightens the day. Of course it adds something to my day as well :o

I'm really leanring at this point about what I can do.

• 2 weeks later...
A friend and I treated a local orphange here in Udon to a Ice Cream party today. Teribbly expensive 350 baht each.

Couldn't buy the smiles in a miliion years, trust me we got much then we gave.

post-662-1148734180_thumb.jpg

post-662-1148734267_thumb.jpg

Ray,

Yes, easy and inexpensive to do, and it really can be a positive thing for the kids. Many never get out of their own village and/or see much of their own land, history and culture. We do things in our village like this for the kids. One thing is filling up the truck with a bunch of the kids and women and taking them to the nearby waterfalls (a half hour's drive or so) to cool down on a hot day. Buying them all a feed is quite inexpensive, waters, ice creams, etc. It surely won't break the bank. :o I also like taking the kids to see the local ruins hereabouts so they can see some of their history. Khao Phanom Rung is a favorite for everyone. Nice place and filled with history. Many other smaller Khmer ruins around here as well. And the kids love it.

Cent

Thanks guys, but actually I think there are a lot people around like me Sometime it is very hard to figure out what to do.

I'm working on a project now to get as many of them to the 4th of July picnic by the VFW here in Udon. With some help from one the guys from Udonmap.com got enough to put together for 65 tickets.

That was the easy part now it is getting permission from the orphanage to take a group along with staff to watch over them. Rightlfully so they are very protective of the kids.

Have a meeting tomorrow to see if I can put it together.

Keep you fingers crossed for me this is a biggy. The 4th is as a fund raiser for the VFW from that they put together the Christmas party which is an annual free event. Each child gets food a visit, for many thier first Santa and a gift wrapped persent.

So my plan is whatever number I can get to the 4th party I will bring the same number to the Christmas party.

So we will see what happens tomorrow, either it will come together or I will be stopped. If I get stopped then I will think of something else that fits within thier guidelines.

Well everything was approaved today,just had to be talking to the right person.

They don't make it easy, they won't allow small groups to go out on field trips, they want you to take large numbers such as the VFW picnic. I understand thier point, they don't want to explain to the kids who don't get to go. So I suggested sitting up a rotation for the field trips, she said she would dicuss it with the staff.

On the other hand makes it almost impossible for an individual to help, I may be able to get a large number some place a few times a year, but there is no way as one peson I could do more then that. So I may have to stick to the ice cream treats on occasion and let it go at that. But I will do what I can.

When the 4th of July party is done I will try to post some photos should be fun

Boy talk about a big surprise today Tool Pro chose to sponsor the transportation for the event and has generuosly donated three huge busses to pick the children up an bring them back to the home.

Three busees for the entire day, that is no little thing.

It's up to 85 tickets just a 100 or more or so to go

Would be nice to fill those busses

Originally I was just going to show up but the numbers are already twice what I envisioned so I sent the VFW a letter to today letting them know what the plan was. I didn't want them to be short on the day of the picnic. Since I intend to purchase the tickets in about two weeks.

Well thing are improving each day a to the number of tickets we are going to be able to buy :D

Noticed something I hadn't been aware of each ticket is also a entry into a drawing for a new motorcycle. I can just see it now a five year old wins the bike talk about King of the Hill :D

I think if one of the tickets wins we probably better sale that critter and let them have the money :D

Since the goal is 200 tickets theres probably is a 50% chance that one of them will be the winner :o

Anyone down Udon way. that has the time and the desire, they need volunteers a well.

But I will warn you right up front if you go there those kids will own you in no time :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well it happened I have 200 tickets in hand.

Actually It really look like there may be a bit extra. If we get lucky and win the bike a substanial extra since it will be sold and the money put in the fund. So everybody keep thier fingers crossed.

Whatever monies that are left I will go back to the people who contributed and let them decide how to use it. As to me little things for a while, would be just fine. If we are invited to the VFW Christmas party that will be another big event requiring transporatation and such just like this one. So by Decemmber I may be ready to take that on again.

What can I say there are a lot of people out there who wanted to help, people contributed money from as far away as the U.S. As you noticed I'm sure Tool Pro is furnishing the transportation for 200. First Homes here in Udon purchased 100 tickets for the kids. To be honest I never knew it would go this far and I'm very grateful for all the help.

I'll post photos of the party when it is finsihed next week :o

Nice one Ray,

given me food for thought for when i'm back in the village in Ubon.

Even if its only with the local school.

It is good to read these stories, sharp contrast to others in the world, shows how a little effort can make a huge difference.

Good luck

Moss

Nice one Ray,

given me food for thought for when i'm back in the village in Ubon.

Even if its only with the local school.

It is good to read these stories, sharp contrast to others in the world, shows how a little effort can make a huge difference.

Good luck

Moss

You know mosfiin this started as somehthing I wanted to do first time out a friend split the cost of ice cream a whooping 350 baht.

I didn't think in terms of saving Thailand's poor, or the facility for that matter. Just wanted to do something nice for a few kids having a hard life.

What you do doesn't have to be big, just share a little fun with someone they will feel better and you will to. :o

Wow. Among all the bitchy threads on TV ("Life is Cheap," "Traffic Woes," "Discrimination Against Foreigners," etc.) this thread was a breath of fresh air.

A few months back, some farang in our Isan town got together, procured the services of a Thai medical doctor and went to a far-flung remote village which has no clinic. There, they spent the day treating minor illnesses and injuries, and dispensing medicine/drugs to the elderly. While the doctor worked, the farang organizers helped fill out medical histories, assisted by English-major Thai university students. These will be used for future visits.

The physical needs of over 100 people were ministered to. Grateful elderly patients kissed the hands that brought assistance to them.

So little time and expense on the part of better-off foreigners can go such a long way to meet genuine local needs, and build significant cross-cultral bridges.

Thanks Ray, for being a bridge-builder.

You know mosfiin this started as somehthing I wanted to do first time out a friend split the cost of ice cream a whooping 350 baht.

I didn't think in terms of saving Thailand's poor, or the facility for that matter. Just wanted to do something nice for a few kids having a hard life.

Hi Ray,

You can't eat a whole elephant in one go, but a lot of bites can make a difference, and with other guys experiences inspiring further bites, you never know, you wont solve the problem but you will make a difference.

Thanks for the insight

Moss

edit ( Didn't quite get the quote correctly, the first two paragraphs are from Rays post )

Edited by Mossfinn