Nice Change Of Pace

ray23

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I did drive through for the bus company today, just to make sure everybody where they need to be I hope Tool Pro had been very helpful in this.

200 tickets in hand, seven volunteers and ten paid helpers.

First homes bought 100 tickets and three people contributed from America.

This is where the budget is today and I don't anticipate any further expense for this project.

Income 0

Expeditures Treats -600

Ice cream -360

VFW -30960

Donation -28120 3800

Donation 11120 17000

Donation 9620 1500

Expend Safety Pins _ 150

Balance -9770

Expend ribbons -750

balance -9620

Donation first homes 15000

balance 5380

Donation 3700

Paid Help 1000

Balance 8080

We have 8080 baht left over for other projects in the future, keep you your fingers crossed that we win the motorcycle tomorrow and we can convert that to cash for future usage.

Well it's done, it will take sometime describe this and to be honest I'm exhausted. Sufffice to say for the moment the children were very happy, the VFW and the gusts were very happy a well. The event was filmed by homecable and it will be on tomorrow at 6:00 P.M. on channel 1.

Thanks to all the volunteers and contributors. :o

I think we ended up with about 17 volunteers from the University, people that the guys in the VFW knew and people from our neighborhood

post-662-1152006253_thumb.jpg

post-662-1152006307_thumb.jpg

post-662-1152006356_thumb.jpg

My wifes poor Aunt arrived on the bus from Bangkok at 4:30 A.M., 7:00 A.M. we lauched into this and finished about 5:30 P.M. one very srtong lady :D

post-662-1152006618_thumb.jpg

My favorite volunteer when I started into this she thought I was nuts, at the end she knew I was :o

post-662-1152006765_thumb.jpg

EATING don't evne know where to begin, we were concerned tht the kid would not enjoy hamburgers and such WRONG :D We arrived a one and half hours early, aren't Thais always supposed to be late :D Well they had time to jump ahead of the gaem and were eating ice cream and downing soft driks like there was no tomorrow and they still went back for extra helping three times. There were kid wlaking around with corn on the cob an hour after lunch just munching away. Then they hit the ice cream and soft drinks again. :o If there were not a lot of tummy aches that noght at the home I would be very surprised :D

post-662-1152007276_thumb.jpg

One huge surprise, John Oles from the Udon VFW post stopped by the Nissan Market here in town, told them that 200 orphans were expected at the VFW July 4 th party and asked if they coud do a little something for them. well the did but it was far from little, stuffed animals, a bag for each child containg personal items like powder, tooth paste, cookies and a compact for each girl now what girl can go without a compact Now one of these not such a big deal but 200 that is a huge deal :D

We knew nothing about this and were a surprised as the girls :o

post-662-1152007808_thumb.jpg

post-662-1152007867_thumb.jpg

post-662-1152007914_thumb.jpg

post-662-1152007976_thumb.jpg

You know when we first started this the adminsitrator didn't know us from the moon, the lady on the right. Was very leary of us, she is we are happy to say very protective of the children when she saw what the event really was she found that we were just average people who wanted to help We got a thank you WITH PLEASE DON"T FORGET US

post-662-1152008466_thumb.jpg

I wish everyone could have heard this, the kids all sing a thank you song to Ron and I, there were so many who added to this and didn't hear it what a shame just know that I was thinking of everyone of you. The asked individually to come back next year, hey we can try :o

post-662-1152008862_thumb.jpg

post-662-1152009036_thumb.jpg

You know this was just an empty place till those kids got there, then it came to life with laughter and smiles. I have never seen such courteous children, not one plate was left on the table. They helped to serve soft drinks and Ice Cream. Not one bit of food was thrown away. The gratefulness at such simple gifts was unbelieveable.

I have so many to thank, this started our as a visions by someone who had not a clue of how to do it. It became a very international effort, w had peopel from Denmark, Germany, England and the US who helped on this.

The Thai's what remarkable people:

Tool Pro asked for some help in finding busses, didn't have a clue. they provided all the transportation, and made sure the event was televised, seems the owner owns home cable as well.

First Home told them I was short 100 tickets thinking they would chip in a bit, NO 15000 baht and bought one hundred tickets

Nissan Market hey how about a few things, not hardly gifts for 200

VFW shared this event with us and tried thier very best to make sure 200 kids had a great time and they did.

I would hope that all of us support this Thai businesse's who help thier own community JIA DEE MACH NMCH :o

Well not sure what the next event will be but I'm sure there will be one, anybody who wants to jump in the big middle with me they are more then welcome.

I would say whatever you want to do, just try thats all I did

Well we didn't win the motorcycle, so I have been thinking about some fund raising:

Brillant me a usual not thinking anyone have experience in sitting up bowling tournaments, or motorcycle rally's?

Two things that are creeping around in the brain bucket. I think I know who to contact about a golf turnament.

• 2 weeks later...

We started a clothing drive for the kids and had enough left over from the picnic monsy to buy 850 pairs of underwear, sent the wifes aunt a tough negoiator, deliverd them yesterday.

These kids will be OK and I will just try to make thing a bit better for them. I really screwed up yesterday, we went and spent sometime with the two year olds for the first time. In that age group they take care of little boys until they move them to the Boys Home. One little mousy looking little guy came over and wrapped himself around my legs. I picked him up then a second one came with the back I couldn't pick him up as well. So I wanted not to hurt the little guys feelings so I picked a place I could get my back to the wall and sit down. Thinking ok I could put both of them in my lap. The first little guy just sit in the floor slumped and wouldn't move not really crying but totaly dejected. I finally had Poi bring him to me and sit him on my lap with the second little guy. He sit there and a tear ran down his face, it wasn't the easiest thing to get up and go but I knew at some point I had to. sometimes it' not about money, sometimes it's just a human touch.

The hard thing a two year old doesn't know the first thing about money, but the do feel lonliness and want love and affection like all creatures. The staff out there have to many to take care of to do that. Trying to find a balance is proving very difficult, but I will just keep trying.

For me there are lots of lessons to be learned and that is becoming very clear, I wonder where this road is going to lead.

We started a clothing drive for the kids and had enough left over from the picnic monsy to buy 850 pairs of underwear, sent the wifes aunt a tough negoiator, deliverd them yesterday.

These kids will be OK and I will just try to make thing a bit better for them. I really screwed up yesterday, we went and spent sometime with the two year olds for the first time. In that age group they take care of little boys until they move them to the Boys Home. One little mousy looking little guy came over and wrapped himself around my legs. I picked him up then a second one came with the back I couldn't pick him up as well. So I wanted not to hurt the little guys feelings so I picked a place I could get my back to the wall and sit down. Thinking ok I could put both of them in my lap. The first little guy just sit in the floor slumped and wouldn't move not really crying but totaly dejected. I finally had Poi bring him to me and sit him on my lap with the second little guy. He sit there and a tear ran down his face, it wasn't the easiest thing to get up and go but I knew at some point I had to. sometimes it' not about money, sometimes it's just a human touch.

The hard thing a two year old doesn't know the first thing about money, but the do feel lonliness and want love and affection like all creatures. The staff out there have to many to take care of to do that. Trying to find a balance is proving very difficult, but I will just keep trying.

For me there are lots of lessons to be learned and that is becoming very clear, I wonder where this road is going to lead.

The road goes ever on, according to Bilbo Baggins,

Great stuff Ray

Edited by Mossfinn

my wife also likes to give back to her village when we visit. last visit, we sponsored a lunch for a school serving some of the less fortunate children. we also gave them packets of school supplies, like pens, pencils, erasers, and rulers. can't remember the exact cost, but like ray said, seeing the gratefulness and appreciation on the faces of these very courteous students was priceless.

• 3 months later...

After traveling back and forth to Asia 20 odd years for work – but never living abroad – I moved to Thailand about 3 years ago. My work those years was in PR China, India, and Indonesia. I only used Thailand as a transfer hub and for a few days R&R. In China I worked with the Ministry of Agriculture and in Indonesia with an agricultural cooperative on Sumatra. I traveled to agricultural regions so remote a CIA guy on a flight home told me THEY knew little about areas of China that I visited.

Following a random encounter ThaiAir flight to Khon Kaen, I became involved with the largest foundation for the blind in SE Asia which is based in Khon Kaen. I spent a total of about 6 months on 3 separate trips to KK before moving full time. After one of those trips I went back to USA and took a year long Braille course. I am now a US Library of Congress Certified Braille Transcriber – the only such accredited person in SE Asia so I’ve been told. My official US Government certificate often gets me near diplomatic status, sometimes almost embarrassingly so. I have assisted and still assist students who are blind and who have won scholarships to study in UK, a Chulalongkorn honor grad, and other exceptionally talented students who are blind.

I moved to Bangkok last July to do Braille work for the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT). They were very nice but due to work permit issues we had to abandon our Braille project. But with all the work I did in preparation for that project, I decided to set-up my own website called TravelBraille.com

Instead of writing this note, I should be working on the Braille files -- the first round of travel files will soon be available.

I am often asked how I intend to make any money off the website. I WON’T be making any money off the site. As mentioned in some of the posts by Ray23, I do the work for the sheer pleasure of it. John F. Kennedy said in the final sentence of his 1961 Presidential inaugural address: “With a good conscience our only sure reward… here on earth God’s work must truly be our own.”

I enjoy helping persons who, with just a little help, can do so much on their own without any additional help. Maybe somewhere down the road the website may lead to something lucrative, but, because of copyright restrictions if nothing else, I cannot charge anything for my work… And I do not bill myself very much for my time.

The website is very simple graphically because it is designed primarily for persons who are blind. But it is actually very sophisticated in terms of navigation so that it can be navigated with an audio ‘screen reader’.

I will soon be moving back to KK. My 6 months in BKK were very informative as I now know the city well. Maybe I will visit for 3-5 days at a time. But I am looking forward to living again in KK. To me, KK is a University town not unlike many university towns in the USA. I intend to get far more involved on campus this time around.

At the school for the blind, Thai families would regularly come to the school and buy dinner – and ice cream – for the students on a family member’s birthday. The school has branches in Khorat, Roi-Et, Lampang, and Lopburi. I sure you can find a similar school or NGO facility elsewhere and offer to do the same.

My situation is unique. But as Ray23 demonstrates, many things can be done for little money and only reasonable effort… and maybe a little imagination.

Well done Ray nice touch: We did the same last year here are some pics

post-32485-1163316288_thumb.jpgpost-32485-1163316322_thumb.jpgpost-32485-1163316347_thumb.jpg

But then I noticed the state of there kitchen in 2004

post-32485-1163316421_thumb.jpgpost-32485-1163316440_thumb.jpg

And I promised them a new one once my house was built and I was living in village and I kept my promise this is the new one, but was not expecting a ceremony and presentation from the Governor of all the schools in the area

post-32485-1163316626_thumb.jpg

[

Ray,

Yes, easy and inexpensive to do, and it really can be a positive thing for the kids. Many never get out of their own village and/or see much of their own land, history and culture. We do things in our village like this for the kids. One thing is filling up the truck with a bunch of the kids and women and taking them to the nearby waterfalls (a half hour's drive or so) to cool down on a hot day. Buying them all a feed is quite inexpensive, waters, ice creams, etc. It surely won't break the bank. :D I also like taking the kids to see the local ruins hereabouts so they can see some of their history. Khao Phanom Rung is a favorite for everyone. Nice place and filled with history. Many other smaller Khmer ruins around here as well. And the kids love it.

Cent

Cent,

Yes, easy to do. My wife (In Sydney) makes take-away size Thai meals for some of our friends' our bowling league and my work mates. Sell for $7.00. Not at all unusual to get an order from one person for '10 Massamans' that they put in the freezer. The money goes into a tin for our annual trip back to her home in Surin. Last time we went there was money for the local school and we had a pickup truck loaded with shoes, exercise books, pencils, s :o achels and had a great sit down meal for all the kids in the school. When I showed photos of all this to the 'customers' of the take-aways they were thrilled and a lot of them insisted on giving us $$ for our next trip.

Disadvantage of the last trip was that I had to give a talk to all the kids, and the questions they asked were, well, interesting: "what do you eat?" "sing a song for us"...loud cheers. ALL the kids wanted an autograph, too!

I am looking for an orphanage in Surin, and Martin was going to investigate for me...typical old far*: hasn't replied! There is a 'tree of life' orphanage in BuriRam I think looking for one in Surin.

Cheers

Colin

Dear Colin:

There is an orphanage close to Surin--- it is actually located within Buriram province at Grasang District. There is another orphanage with 12 kids called My Father's House in Pablachai--they have 11 girls aged 2 -17 and one boy around 2 years old. Ajarn Narin is the director there. Both of these centers do great work helping kids. Charles' center is about 15 kilometers from the city of Surin. Narin's is 45 kms from Buriram city on the road to Prakhonchai, turn left and follow signs to Pablaichai, about 100 meters down the road from the hospital. (Narin's phone number is 06-890-7921. He is Thai but speaks fluent English and worked as a translator before for the UN in Cambodia. He could stand some help, be it ice cream or toys and school stuff for his kids. Grasang Center is operated by Charles Henry and his wife from Ireland. They have a dozen girls in residence. They have been at it for a long time. I taught several of the kids from his center while I was at Rajabhat in Buriram. I don't have his phone number handy but I will see him on the 29th of this month when he is coming over for a visit. I will be glad to get his info to you if you are trying to help an orphanage in the Surin area. Contact me at tree-of-life-orphanage in Buriram and we will be glad to get you in touch with either of them.

Yes, please send me details of the Grasang Centre, and I will vist. I arrive Surin Christmas day and have 9 days there.

Thanks

Colin

• 1 year later...

Ray unfortunately is not able to carry on his good work at present and wonder if there are others who have the time to pay a visit and continue his good deeds.

While i, as mentioned on a current thread, cannot dedicate a serious amount of time ( due also for personal reasons and needing to be near to home base ), i would be more than willing to put a few baht in the kitty to offer further assistance to compliment a visit others may be fortunate enough to make.

As Ray say,s we get far more back in reward and feel good factor than what is given, and that,s for sure, no hesitations i might add.

How about it, then fellow members, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

• 2 weeks later...

that's great to see.

I plan of doing a tour of the north of Thailand next month including Udon, and would like to spend a day or 2 doing something for these kids. I don't know if that's acceptable for a nobody to show up and get involved for just a day or 2, I can understand that. Anyway let me know if there's anything I could do, even a monetary donation that is guaranteed to end up in the right hands.

that's great to see.

I plan of doing a tour of the north of Thailand next month including Udon, and would like to spend a day or 2 doing something for these kids. I don't know if that's acceptable for a nobody to show up and get involved for just a day or 2, I can understand that. Anyway let me know if there's anything I could do, even a monetary donation that is guaranteed to end up in the right hands

The answer to your question is yes you can. Keep in mind they attend school. So the older children are busy through the week, if school is in operation.

I've never been real crazy about over cash. But, they will give you receipts.

Through the week you can see the younger children if for nothing else to hold them or say hello. But if your going to do that You better be tough cause they will tear your heart out and hand it to you on a platter.

Just make sure you stop by the office and sign in, they will assign someone to go with you.