Best place to buy spices in Bangkok?

tool84

Hi,

I'm looking for advice to find good spice shops in Bangkok that have best selection and prices. I'm looking in particular for these spices : nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, allspice, cardamom powder, vanilla beans although extract will be fine, whole ginger and peppercorn. I don't know if there are stores that specializes in spices if you know of one it would be helpful.

Thanks

If you are looking to save money I would try Lotus and BigC first and get what you can there before going to Foodland or Villa Market. One thing I have noticed the cinnamon I have found here is not the same as abroad, it is a different kind and the flavor is not the same . My last trip to the US I bought a few bottles and brought it back here.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a very good selection of spices in Macro, well the Macro on Chaeng Wattana at least

Ditto on the Makro branch near Chong Nonsi BTS... They have two different spice sections -- a bulk section with larger bags of a lot of Thai oriented spices as well as other varieties, which is near their fresh fruit section, and then a shelves section near the deli section with small to medium size bottles/jars of a lot of different western spices, mostly imported brands.

Overall, it's one of the best selections of spices that I've seen offered in one place in Thailand. Though if you go to places like Villa Market, you can also find small imported jars of the typical western spices like nutmeg, sage, cinammon, etc etc.

The Villa on Sukhumvit 7 I think.

No, it's Suk Soi 11, among other locations, including Suk Soi 2 and Suk Soi 31 or so.

There's a Foodland on Suk Soi 5 and also Suk Soi 16.

Villa does seem to have a better selected of jarred spices/seasonings that the Foodlands' I've visited, but it all depends on what exactly you're looking for.

• 1 year later...

Archived