baby cahors

UKJASE

we have a lake at the bottom of some land we have bought, and the english guy who owns the lake allows us to fish it, and he has stocked it with koi, gourami, barb, pla ninn, mekong catfish, walking catfish etc

i asked him if we could put some baby cahors in, and he said that some type of carp eat all the vegetation that is in the lake and chomp away at the bank etc

do you know if this is true with cahor?

are there any other fish that we could stock that are not predators, and that can grow big and provide good fishing for us?

the lake is 4 rai big and about 1.5 metres deep

PS how much would it cost us to buy say 100 baby cahor and is there anywhere near hua hin selling them?

PPS i would love to put redtails in, but he asked if they were predators and i told him they were, so i guess his koi's would not be looking as relaxed as they do at the minute if we introduced redtails

Seen kaho for sale in the past. A few hundred baht each, probably 1kg to 2kg in size. You'd be best asking a Thai friend to find some and negotiate.

I imagine it's the grass carp that are the big vegetation eaters and the silver carp/asian carp will absolutely clean a lake of any available food as they are filter feeders, so I'd avoid them. (pla chin).

thanks Steath mate. he has gian gourami already and he said all the weeds and lillies he had put in previously had been eaten, so that must be why

i will pass this information on

BTW does anyone know if Giant Gourami die easily after being caught? the reason i ask is that i have caught two at the lake, and one died a few days later and the guy reckons that the fish died because i had caught it

do you think that this could be true? if so, is there anything a fisherman can do to help the fish survival chances? apart from not fishing of course (as the wife keeps nagging on at me)