I would love to live on Phi Phi

finy

You might just squeeze into that budget, off season, for a room with kitchen facilities ( a gas burner in the corner)

In the "green season" Phi Phi is like Ibiza on Mogadon - Partying in the rain every day doesn't bring in the party crowd.

High season - no chance.

Anyway, why Phi Phi? Just as the party scene left Ibiza when it got too commercial, so it has now left Phi Phi, leaving behind high prices and a load of party wannabe's.

It just is no longer the place to be for serious partying.

Before you ask me where is the place? - If you aren't aware where to be, then your a wannabe

Been to many beaches here in LOS. Phi Phi without a doubt is the shittiest place i stayed. Never seen so much rubbish and filth in such a small area. Ruined the place. Even the Thai wife hated it, and she looks forward to her once a year beach hols.

• Like 2

You realize it is a Muslim island right? You have to follow their rules, there is no tolerance against infidels in Islam. I went there 2 times, I was warned by tour guide not to bring Alcohol or drink Alcohol on the island, not to offend precious muslims in Island.

Of course they can't watch you 7/24 in your hotel room or something but why bother? Just pick another island with no islamic management.

The first few years I came to Thailand phi phi was great.so I thought,but then I want island hopping for 4 months and did not want to go back.I had a friend come to visit me from the states.I had just finished a four day golf tournament in Phoket so we went over there just 2 weeks ago and that place is garbage.I can't see what I liked about it.the place I stayed at at 4 years ago for 400 is now 1200.no kitchen or tv......Go Samui and I'm sure in the long run you will thank everyone....good luck.hey I'm on Koh Chang now and have a nice place for 12,000 a month with everything.motorbike one month 3000

• Like 1

You realize it is a Muslim island right? You have to follow their rules, there is no tolerance against infidels in Islam. I went there 2 times, I was warned by tour guide not to bring Alcohol or drink Alcohol on the island, not to offend precious muslims in Island.

Of course they can't watch you 7/24 in your hotel room or something but why bother? Just pick another island with no islamic management.

Nonsense

Sadly, phi phi has gone down hill rapidly over the last few years. Sure, it looks stunning on approach from the phuket side but beyond that, it is awash with drunken louts that seem to regard screeching and loud fiul mouthed abuse as a perfectly normal activity.

The main beaches are generally filthy and dominated by very loud beach bars all pushing out different music to satisfy the young misdirected hippy types that flock to the island for the alcohol and drug abuse.

Generally, it is significantly more expensive here for most things be it an ice cream or a bedroom. Expect to pay way over the odds for some poor quality food served by disenchanted and rude staff in 'most' eateries. There are however a few decent restaurants that take some pride in serving good quality food at reasonable prices.

Phi phi island does not offer much for families or those seeking any resemblance to a quiet or relaxing holiday. More suited to young drunkards that are on world trips and treap the island as a party location.

• Like 2

Methinks the OP should try Phangan; I spent 5 high seasons there and had a blast.

If you are relatively young you would love it there, besides the one week before full moon there are always parties around, and lots of cute girls from Europe. For 12K a month you could get a very nice bungalow outside of Haad Rin, furnished with a kitchen and bedroom, fans, wifi, etc.........you have a lot more space to stretch out also; Phangan is about 30Km by 10km and has beautiful beaches all around it, most of 'em usually empty.

Check it out OP, if you want pure hedonism and "Ibiza on steroids" you will find that on Phangan, and for much less than Phi Phi.

• Like 2

Have you actually been there? You know they sell alcohol on the island right? lol.. and it comes in buckets.

You guys know what islands besides Samui & Koh Phangan are worth substituting for Phi Phi. We go feb. 28th start in Krabi off to Raley beach & most likely Samui(is on our list to go to anyway) I would enjoy Koh Phangan , but not sure my gal would dig on it that much & we only have 10 days on this Vacation. We don't require top end stays just air & a place to sleep while we explore the islands around on motorbike. I was in Krabi area right before the Tsunami so it has been a while!

Thanks

Have you actually been there? You know they sell alcohol on the island right? lol.. and it comes in buckets.

Went there 2 times. In first one there was no beer in mini marts in beach. In second time, i brought my own beer and drank despite the warning.

I did not stay in hotel if thats what you mean. Of course they will allow everything in a hotel! They do in maldives, which also happen to be hundred percent muslim country.

You guys know what islands besides Samui & Koh Phangan are worth substituting for Phi Phi. We go feb. 28th start in Krabi off to Raley beach & most likely Samui(is on our list to go to anyway) I would enjoy Koh Phangan , but not sure my gal would dig on it that much & we only have 10 days on this Vacation. We don't require top end stays just air & a place to sleep while we explore the islands around on motorbike. I was in Krabi area right before the Tsunami so it has been a while!

Thanks

Just my personal opinion, but I would say skip Samui all together. I have never been a big Samui guy and now it's worse than ever; expensive and crowded especially in Chewang and Lamai. But especially Chewang [avoid at all costs]. On Phangan you have about 50km of nice, paved roads to ride around on these days, with nice scenery and gorgeous beaches. Haad Yao and Haad Salad in particular, maybe Thing Nai Pan as well.

But you are on the Krabi side, so easiest for you would be Phi Phi or maybe Koh Lanta? Kinda quiet there, but it sounds like you don't want to do too much partying anyway.

Thanks

Just my personal opinion, but I would say skip Samui all together. I have never been a big Samui guy and now it's worse than ever; expensive and crowded especially in Chewang and Lamai. But especially Chewang [avoid at all costs]. On Phangan you have about 50km of nice, paved roads to ride around on these days, with nice scenery and gorgeous beaches. Haad Yao and Haad Salad in particular, maybe Thing Nai Pan as well.

But you are on the Krabi side, so easiest for you would be Phi Phi or maybe Koh Lanta? Kinda quiet there, but it sounds like you don't want to do too much partying anyway.

Thanks for the tips! actually I like to party hardy when I go beach hopping. Koh Chang always has a club that has some bangin house music that the party moves from each of the business establishments so they all get a share of the funds generated by the tourists. Unfortunately like most of the Islands Koh Chang has become lax on trash removal & is not as much fun as it once was since the heavy rains destroyed a lot of the cheaper bungalow's & now is fastly becoming a refuge for the guests for 3000 baht a nite & up.....Still has music but not the younger people to party because of the price.Koh Lanta was on the list to visit. I just want to see more than Krabi this time around. 10 years ago Krabi was with a dynamite dancer(beer bar gal) & this time with a 10 year partner so IT will be a much different trip but it will have all the benefits. thanks for the tip! I just like to know which direction the speakers are pointing so I don't wind up in the non sleep zone....But loud music on vacation does not bother me. Trash on any island is not my idea of a great time but TIT & that's just how it is like it or leave it.

well, from your first post it seems as though your girl would not like Phangan......but if you like to party and like beautiful beaches, and you like to ride around on a 'cycle, I can think of literally no better place. You don't have to stay in Haad Run, which is the backpacker ghetto and much more expensive than the rest of the island; stay in Haad Yao or Haad Salad and cruise around on the 'cycle after spending the days laying around doing nothing.

You could even stay in Thong Sala, which isn't much in and of itself but is close proximity to about 10 nice beaches and is also within striking distance of Haad Rin, about 10KM, just in case you want to go to the party scene there. Haad Rin is a great place also, and you can get decent rooms on the sunset side with striking views of Samui and with the sun melting into the ocean every night at about 630 for less than 1000 a night. In fact, you can get decent rooms for 500-800 if you are really on a tight budget; 1000-1200 will get you A/C and a nice big room, maybe even ocean-front.

I went to Phangan for the first time in 2006 and liked it so much I went back and lived there for 5 high seasons.......it's a true paradise, much-maligned [and rightfully so] by the lunatics who mess it all up on Full Moon night, but for most of the month it's heaven on earth. PM me if you want some more advice.

Edited by Deaw
  • Like 2

well, from your first post it seems as though your girl would not like Phangan......but if you like to party and like beautiful beaches, and you like to ride around on a 'cycle, I can think of literally no better place. You don't have to stay in Haad Run, which is the backpacker ghetto and much more expensive than the rest of the island; stay in Haad Yao or Haad Salad and cruise around on the 'cycle after spending the days laying around doing nothing.

You could even stay in Thong Sala, which isn't much in and of itself but is close proximity to about 10 nice beaches and is also within striking distance of Haad Rin, about 10KM, just in case you want to go to the party scene there. Haad Rin is a great place also, and you can get decent rooms on the sunset side with striking views of Samui and with the sun melting into the ocean every night at about 630 for less than 1000 a night. In fact, you can get decent rooms for 500-800 if you are really on a tight budget; 1000-1200 will get you A/C and a nice big room, maybe even ocean-front.

I went to Phangan for the first time in 2006 and liked it so much I went back and lived there for 5 high seasons.......it's a true paradise, much-maligned [and rightfully so] by the lunatics who mess it all up on Full Moon night, but for most of the month it's heaven on earth. PM me if you want some more advice.

Priceless post. I copied everything & will use the info for sure. The price for the med to top perfect for the stay. For that price the ocean ac sounds like the ticket in Haad Rin.

Have sent you a PM!

Thanks

Thanks for the tips! actually I like to party hardy when I go beach hopping. Koh Chang always has a club that has some bangin house music that the party moves from each of the business establishments so they all get a share of the funds generated by the tourists. Unfortunately like most of the Islands Koh Chang has become lax on trash removal & is not as much fun as it once was since the heavy rains destroyed a lot of the cheaper bungalow's & now is fastly becoming a refuge for the guests for 3000 baht a nite & up.....Still has music but not the younger people to party because of the price.Koh Lanta was on the list to visit. I just want to see more than Krabi this time around. 10 years ago Krabi was with a dynamite dancer(beer bar gal) & this time with a 10 year partner so IT will be a much different trip but it will have all the benefits. thanks for the tip! I just like to know which direction the speakers are pointing so I don't wind up in the non sleep zone....But loud music on vacation does not bother me. Trash on any island is not my idea of a great time but TIT & that's just how it is like it or leave it.

If you like party and loud music – tech-dance, house, trance etc. – Phangan and Samui are definitely a destination for you. The Full Moon Party at Had Rin Beach (Phangan) have some eleven stages, each with their own music style, and up to maybe 20,000 or 30,000 guests in high season; Chaweng Beach is party zone for mainly young people almost every night, but especially Wednesday & Friday; good clubs/discos and after party every night in Chaweng; cosy cafés of which a number have live band earlier in the evenings… tongue.png
You can still find nice bungalows beach front for around or less than 2,000 baht – and when you are mobile you can choose to stay at a quiet beach, but still only 10-15 min. from the party-zone – or you can stay in Chaweng for around 1,200 baht and up. More primitive backpacker style accommodation is also available.

I think I got a little over-excited by all the backpackers walking around in tiny bikinis.

If there are similar (but cheaper) islands I might try them instead.

I still like Phi Phi, but like a few people mentioned it's double prices for most things like water.

Any suggestions you can give me?

I need good Wi-Fi connection, so thinking Samui or Phangan (been to both).

Island can't be too small because I prefer a lot going on. I know Phi Phi is small, but it does have lots going on.

To the guy that said I'm a wanabee if I need to ask where the happening place is - get over yourself. I just want somewhere with a good vibe. I'm not looking to find an untouched place the masses won't descend on for years.

Is Phi Phi even connected to the national electric grid ? I remember last time I was there (about 6 years ago) that all the electric was supplied by local diesil generators. Late at night some gennies would be switched off, peaceful bliss, but no lights. I guess that's why electric might be very expensive.

Went there 2 times. In first one there was no beer in mini marts in beach. In second time, i brought my own beer and drank despite the warning.

I did not stay in hotel if thats what you mean. Of course they will allow everything in a hotel! They do in maldives, which also happen to be hundred percent muslim country.

Phi Phi,

How long ago.. because its filled with people drinking and alcohol is on display everywhere buckets with mixes everything. I have never seen it differently in the 6-7 times i have been there.

Phi Phi is also full of foreigners working everywhere.

I'm not just talking about a guy running a pub and selling beer to customers.

I'm talking multiple flyer touts standing outside bars trying to tempt people in and all that crap.

Basically the exact same as Magaluf, Kavos, etc.

Wasn't expecting that.

Here are a few pics my friend took that might prove things have now changed.

1623623_10152134394604792_1692581403_n.j

That is in the middle of the street.

and:

1779149_10152134394789792_1542671240_n.j

i think you may have the wrong place buddy.