Myanmar Rice Prices Climb on Exports

SeaVisionBurma

A increasing demand for rice from abroad has led the price of paddy rice in Myanmar to grow 25.84 percent over the past year as recently acquired duty-free access in other countries is expected to drive exports further in 2014, experts said.

From the Myanmar Times, by Zaw Htike

The price of emahta white rice, which makes up better than 90 pc of the country’s rice production, is currently selling for US$488 per 100 baskets (or 2.05 tonnes) on the markets, up from $356 per 100 baskets sold one year ago, farmers said.
“The high price is the result of demand for rice from China and this year the EU’s demand for rice from Myanmar is going up because the country entered the generalised system of preferences agreement, so the price is not likely to go down in the short term,” said U Lu Maw Myint Maung, joint general secretary of the Myanmar Rice Federation.
Paddy rice prices usually fall early in the season and bounce back mid-season after most of the harvest has been sold, sapping farmers’ profits. But last November-December, prices reached an early-season record of $377 per 100 baskets and continued increasing to its current price levels.

Read the full article here: http://www.mmtimes.com/index.php/business/9570-paddy-rice-prices-climb-on-exports.html

So if rice has risen this high, why can't the Thai Gov. unload the stored rice and pay the farmers.

Or is it being blocked and used as a political tool by PDRC and other political

rivals?

It's the latter situation. Successful sales of rice by the PTP Government only enhances its power base with farmers; PDRC hopes to get farmers to support Suthep instead by preventing the government from making sales and distribution of proceeds to the farmers.

Sorry to disagree entirely, but if you read the initial article carefully, it says that 100 baskets = 2.05 MT are sold for USD 488.- that's just USD 238.- p/MT or about THB 7,500.- p/MT which is only half (50%) of the totally insane and inflated price the PTP has promised - but not kept - to pay Thai Farmers !!

exporting rice, in the meantime most people are poor & hungry but food is exported as there is easy money to be made, specially by some select group that is doing the least work

sorry are we still talking about Myanmar? or are we talking about Thailand?

exporting rice, in the meantime most people are poor & hungry but food is exported as there is easy money to be made, specially by some select group that is doing the least work

sorry are we still talking about Myanmar? or are we talking about Thailand?

I believe he is talking about Myanmar. Is it true that most people are poor and hungry in Myanmar? When I was there I didn't see hungry people. Of course, I only saw a small part of the country.

is there any reliable data on sources and prices for other agro-commodities such as Beans & Pulses in Myanmar ?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Check out the Play store for an app. I believe it's called Myanmar Market Place. Whether or not it has what you want, I'm not sure.

• Like 1