Queues At The Cinema

The Dan Sai Kid

I'm on a wee bit of a rant here. For the past 2 saturdays I've been wanting to go to see the Da Vinci code - but the queues at Major are unreal - at some points the queue had snaked back as far as the karaoke!

I don't really have much time during the week for movie watching - but my wife went to buy tickets on Friday - and Major don't sell tickets more than a day in advance - WHY? - if you have massive queues at the weekend maybe the concept of advanced bookings would be worth trying out.

Does anybody here queue? How long does it take?

I know, I could get there earlier, but it's the weekend and I'm up at the crack of dawn Monday to Friday.

I know I could go to Vista - but it's always too warm or the seats are too uncomfortable.

I reckon I'm due a visit to the Night Bazaar...

I went last Thursday for the 220pm screening, arrived at 1.45pm and had a ticket within 15 minutes, queues not that long.

I thought the film was better done than the novel, both full of gaping plot holes .... :o

We always head to Vista at Central instead. While the selection is less, they still have a lot of new films... and the theatres are usually empty.

I'm not sure if they're playing the Da Vinci code now or not... I heard that it's been edited in Thailand (and that there are several scenees where the actors are speaking Italian and they only provide the Thai subtitles). Maybe somone whose seen it can verify this.

Don't go on the weekend.......

Last weekend, I got conned into seeing a "Cartoon" about an elephant....... so I gather up the wife and kids and its' off to MajorSpinalFlex (or something like that). Enter the Airport Plaza with the family and probably 10,000 kids and their families who seemed to follow us up to the floor of the MajorSphincterFlex (or something like that).

I get to the floor and all I can say is "Honey, Lokks like you and the kids are fu__ed on going to the movie today!" The lines were everywhere........ They actually had lines that went nowhere, thats right, someone stopped to tie his shoe a line formed and didn't seem to start or end.

To make a long story short. I picked up my oldest at school on Monday, we go out to the MajorWhateverYouWantToCallIt and purchased tickets for a show 30 minutes later. There were 5 people in front of us. There were around 20 people in our show. The Davincie Code might have had 50 people.

Now this "Cartoon" ........... is about a War Elephant with Blood and Violence, my 9 and 3 year old thouroughly enjoyed the showing.

Don't go on the weekend.......

Last weekend, I got conned into seeing a "Cartoon" about an elephant....... so I gather up the wife and kids and its' off to MajorSpinalFlex (or something like that). Enter the Airport Plaza with the family and probably 10,000 kids and their families who seemed to follow us up to the floor of the MajorSphincterFlex (or something like that).

I get to the floor and all I can say is "Honey, Lokks like you and the kids are fu__ed on going to the movie today!" The lines were everywhere........ They actually had lines that went nowhere, thats right, someone stopped to tie his shoe a line formed and didn't seem to start or end.

To make a long story short. I picked up my oldest at school on Monday, we go out to the MajorWhateverYouWantToCallIt and purchased tickets for a show 30 minutes later. There were 5 people in front of us. There were around 20 people in our show. The Davincie Code might have had 50 people.

Now this "Cartoon" ........... is about a War Elephant with Blood and Violence, my 9 and 3 year old thouroughly enjoyed the showing.

I would like to go to the cinema on my day off though...

Is it always like this on the weekends or is it the Elephant Movie? I used to work at the weekend and was off during the week - so I never had this problem.

Dan Sai,

I don't know if the F++king Elephant was the cause of the crowds.

To be honest, this is the first time in a decade I have gone to a movie...... I recently quit smoking and decided to "STEP OUT" a bit. Test myself so to speak..... So is this normal for a weekend, I don't have a clue. This was one of my initial tests in a smoke free atmosphere without the influence of alcohol experiments. I successfuly passed.

For what it is worth, I also passed my next experiment of playing billiards in a smoke infested sh_thole amd resisiting the urge to light-up.

Next weekend I plan on seeing X-Men!

Dan Sai,

I don't know if the F++king Elephant was the cause of the crowds.

To be honest, this is the first time in a decade I have gone to a movie...... I recently quit smoking and decided to "STEP OUT" a bit. Test myself so to speak..... So is this normal for a weekend, I don't have a clue. This was one of my initial tests in a smoke free atmosphere without the influence of alcohol experiments. I successfuly passed.

For what it is worth, I also passed my next experiment of playing billiards in a smoke infested sh_thole amd resisiting the urge to light-up.

Next weekend I plan on seeing X-Men!

Good luck on stopping - I quit 3 and a half years ago. I put it down to cigarettes being edited out of movies - it just didn't seem cool anymore... :o

Anyway -I saw The Untouchables the other day - and they edited out the cigarettes with white digital blobs - but in The Untouchables everyone smokes cigars - so it just looks like De Niro, Connery, Et Al are toking on doobies for half the movie.

I have read that 20% of the da Vinci code is spoken in Latin with Thai subtitles so those that could understand the language could not really follow the plot and were left dissapointed.

I am currently 90% of the way through the book and think its very good, so I have to get back to it now

Bye...

I have read that 20% of the da Vinci code is spoken in Latin with Thai subtitles so those that could understand the language could not really follow the plot and were left dissapointed.

I am currently 90% of the way through the book and think its very good, so I have to get back to it now

Bye...

I read the Da Vinci Code last year when all the hub-bub was about...

I thought it was a great read and so much so that I got his 3 previous books and though they were very good also...

Now waiting for the next output from Mr. Brown

Gonzo

maybe wait till Da Vinci comes out on DVD, perhaps with the English subtitles then. its not like a movie that needs to be watched at the cinemas anyways.

wonder how many thais read the Da Vinci code in tranlated thai version. not underestimating anyone though.

When you're limited to viewing a Blockbuster on weekends only, the simplest economical solution would be to opt for the Gold Class venues. As far as I'm concerned: the higher cost factor more than makes up for the crammed conventional venues.

Edited by GoodHeart

X Men III was decent, not as good as the second one though.

I think the long queues are due to Kaan Kluay (the elephant) coinciding with Xmen (Thais love good CGI animations), MI III and the Da Vinci Code. It just happens to be lots of movies people want to see at the same time.

I saw X Men III on Saturday Night, and the queues were indeed pretty bad - we arrived at 8 PM and caught the 10.10 PM showing.

When you're limited to viewing a Blockbuster on weekends only, the simplest economical solution would be to opt for the Gold Class venues. As far as I'm concerned: the higher cost factor more than makes up for the crammed conventional venues.

Flying to Bangkok to watch a movie would be a bit more hassle than standing in a queue for an hour.

Why do you think I posted in the Chiang Mai section? :o

The book wasn't bad, although I thought it got a bit stale towards the end... as someone else said, I think the DVC would be something better watched at home.

Edited by jackr