Chiangmai's Weather In July?

gary and kids

July is rainy season. Bring an umbrella or poncho. If you are only going to be in the city center meds aren't needed. Repellent optional only for keeping regular mosquitos away.

I’m traveling to Chiangmai with my kid’s in July and wondering what to expect weather wise?? Do we need to take meds. For possible malaria??? :o

Malaria isn't a big worry.

Think Dengue Fever if you want something to worry about! :D

Thanks for the reply---

should(can) we get shots for Denue fever? is the rain constant (all day) ? :o

You cannot get shots for dengue. You would be considered very unlucky if you contracted this disese.Just make sure that the kids have mozzie repellant to be on the safe side.

It does not rain all the time.Somedays no rain, some days it can bucket down for half an hour and that's it..... :D

Thanks for the reply---

You cannot get shots for dengue. You would be considered very unlucky if you contracted this disese.Just make sure that the kids have mozzie repellant to be on the safe side.

It does not rain all the time.Somedays no rain, some days it can bucket down for half an hour and that's it..... :D

:D Sounds like Seattle sometimes, we get a lot of really cold rain.

Thanks for the reply---

:D Sounds like Seattle sometimes, we get a lot of really cold rain.

The way it's been here recently I would expect flooding by July - it has been raining in Chiang Mai Province everyday for the past 10 days or so.

Nope, I'm not expecting flooding in *July*. When it floods in Chiang Mai it's beause water has to be released from the reservoirs. That typically happens very late in the rainy season, say september (or early October). While we

had a lot of rain early on the rainy season, there's plenty of time to gradually release it.

And in any case, flooding is a pretty localized affair, in certain low areas close-ish to the river. That sucks if you happen to live there, but as a tourist you just pick a hotel that's higher up. (So you'd ideally not book right at the Night Bazar or thereabouts but in or near the Old Town area, which is a more interesting, quieter, more scenic and less touristy area to be in anyway)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Nope, I'm not expecting flooding in *July*. When it floods in Chiang Mai it's beause water has to be released from the reservoirs. That typically happens very late in the rainy season, say september (or early October). While we

had a lot of rain early on the rainy season, there's plenty of time to gradually release it.

And in any case, flooding is a pretty localized affair, in certain low areas close-ish to the river. That sucks if you happen to live there, but as a tourist you just pick a hotel that's higher up. (So you'd ideally not book right at the Night Bazar or thereabouts but in or near the Old Town area, which is a more interesting, quieter, more scenic and less touristy area to be in anyway)

Cheers,

Chanchao

I dunno, last time I was part the Ping - Saturday - it was looking a lot higher than a couple of weeks ago.

My impression with the media was that we were in for worse rain than last year - and didn't I read that a lot of reservoir are almost at capacity - unless the rain stops completely for a couple of weeks I think it's not unreasonable to expect flooding.

They probably werent't expecting floods in Uttaradit during May either.