Growing oranges, sapodilla, jack fruit, mango, tamarind and apples from seed

Started doing this about 6 weeks ago and now have some seedlings.

While googling, found some info that makes me think the orange seeds are not going to be worth it. I now know about rootstock and grafting.

But what about sapodilla, jack fruit, mango, tamarind and apples?

Anybody tried this? What are my long term chances of success?

Edited by sean in udon

All except apples, you can buy "cheap-good quality plants" and be several

years ahead of trying to grow from seed.

I'm waiting for the fair they have downtown here every year to buy some fruit

trees for the farm and more bananas plants.

rice555

I know nothing about the others, but there is no orange in nature. Its seeds will either be sterile or they won't bear true to kind.

The orange is a hybrid of other citrus fruits, depending on the variety. You do need to start by grafting scions from a variety you like to another citrus plant.

• Like 1

Hello All, I'm in Korat, but you must have some sources of

fruit trees in your area. The guy that sells bananas here comes

to the fair from BKK to sell,they do a lot big shows/fairs.

They just had an Ag Show in KK, I imagine that trees/plants

were for sale there.

rice555

There are two wild mango varieties that grow in Thailand and you see these around farms. They have a straight trunk as opposed to the cultivated types which look so untidy. They also have a rather strong taste and give fruit a bit later than the cultivars. We have two and we had fruit last year while the neighbours had very little due to it raining into the blossoms. These will come true from seeds, some will be better than others, but you can also take cuttings, presumably just after harvesting.

There are two wild mango varieties that grow in Thailand and you see these around farms. They have a straight trunk as opposed to the cultivated types which look so untidy. They also have a rather strong taste and give fruit a bit later than the cultivars. We have two and we had fruit last year while the neighbours had very little due to it raining into the blossoms. These will come true from seeds, some will be better than others, but you can also take cuttings, presumably just after harvesting.

"mamuang galon" extremely yummy. small fruit mostly seed, great flavor, if you hit the right kind, eat with the skin.

That said, growing fruit trees from seed is not worth it when grafted varieties are easily available.

Most seed grown trees will take up to ten years to fruit and quality is unpredictable.

Grafts will fruit on average after three years and you know what to expect.

OP, look around in your area; sure to find nurseries with everything imaginable; if not, take a nice drive to Pak Cheong; there are countless nurseries in the area.

• Like 1

Mini mango's i have seen many times in Thailand. Small okrung, very early in season and cost like 120 baht or more.

Bought a canistle tree today, it is flowering and for 50 baht. I never ate it before so we will see.

Jackfruit from seed is maybe even better then grafted, they fruit about the same time and from seed will be a bigger tree.

Personally i prefer grafted tree's, they stay smaller so i can plant more tree's. Also they fruit faster and sure have the exact fruit.

Chatuchak has loads of fruittree's. On wednesday is the plantmarket.

Mini mango's i have seen many times in Thailand. Small okrung, very early in season and cost like 120 baht or more.

Bought a canistle tree today, it is flowering and for 50 baht. I never ate it before so we will see.

Jackfruit from seed is maybe even better then grafted, they fruit about the same time and from seed will be a bigger tree.

Personally i prefer grafted tree's, they stay smaller so i can plant more tree's. Also they fruit faster and sure have the exact fruit.

Chatuchak has loads of fruittree's. On wednesday is the plantmarket.

The info about jack fruit is interesting and of all the seedlings, they are definitely growing the fastest.