World Cup Not On U.b.c

warriors

I got the U.B.C magazine the other day and it looks like there is NO Coverage of the World Cup by U.B.C . Is this true? I called them and they are very unsure as if they have the coverage.

Any one know what's going on?

I see it is on many Thai T.V. channels.

I wounder if it has spoken English coverage on the Thai channels any one know? :o

That would be a big mistake if UBC does not cover the biggest sporting event in the world !!.

Gonna be a lot of angy subscribers.

Must be a misunderstanding somewhere.

But then again, TIT

I just did a search on the UBC website for 8.00pm on 10th June 2006 when England play their first game in the Cup and none of the Sport Channels on UBC have it scheduled. There is no mention of the world cup on the UBC website. Looks like it is going to be a "Beckham Krap, England Krap", world cup on channel 3 in Thailand.

Sport channels including ESPN decided not to invest in WC broadcasting rights since they will simply duplicate national broadcasters.

But you can tune into free channels broadcasting games (3,7 etc.) through UBC satellite dish. The reception is always better where I live.

Does that mean there will be/won't be World Cup on UBC? Yes and no.

There's still a theoretical chance that we'll get English commentary but the odds are heavily against us.

These same questions are aksed and answered in about five different threads. Perhaps the mods can combine them and pin them somewhere at the top.

I got the U.B.C magazine the other day and it looks like there is NO Coverage of the World Cup by U.B.C . Is this true? I called them and they are very unsure as if they have the coverage.

I wounder if it has spoken English coverage on the Thai channels any one know? :o

I called them yesterday and they immediately sent me an email that shows which Thai channels are showing each group game and at what time.

They will send me another email as soon as the knockout stage games are allocated.

Sport channels including ESPN decided not to invest in WC broadcasting rights since they will simply duplicate national broadcasters.

But you can tune into free channels broadcasting games (3,7 etc.) through UBC satellite dish. The reception is always better where I live.

There's still a theoretical chance that we'll get English commentary but the odds are heavily against us.

These same questions are aksed and answered in about five different threads. Perhaps the mods can combine them and pin them somewhere at the top.

I would say that it's almost 100% chance that you will get it in English, as long as you have a relativly modern TV with the duel language button

I called them yesterday and they immediately sent me an email that shows which Thai channels are showing each group game and at what time.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

x

------------------------------------ does that mean those channels have been fixed when they installed the satellite dish for the average UBC-subscriber ? or is that another task to do ?

I would say that it's almost 100% chance that you will get it in English, as long as you have a relativly modern TV with the duel language button

According to comments I've seen in the Bangkok Post (and probably repeated somewhere on here), the rights for Thailand only include Thai commentary. I have seen comments that hotels will be able to show English commentary but the rest of us won't be able to receive it.

I've not yet seen the original source for this information though, just comments/letters in the paper.

Amazing Thailand :o Looks like its off to the bars that show it live on there South African channel. What a pain in the butt. We will know after the first game shown on Thai T.V. if they speak or if my T.V controls can change the language. If not it is off to the Pub. :D

Amazing Thailand :D Looks like its off to the bars that show it live on there South African channel. What a pain in the butt. We will know after the first game shown on Thai T.V. if they speak or if my T.V controls can change the language. If not it is off to the Pub. :D

Should be off to the pub anyways :D

:o:D:D:D:D:D

So true I will ask him can he put a big bed in there for me. So I do not miss a moment of this world cup, unless one of the girls head gets in the way of the T.V. screen while it is moving up and do-n :o

Maybe I will be the top scorer over the whole comp. I better work on my fitness more :D

I just called my local cable company.

They use the South African Supersport channel for the Premiership everyweek and are also going to use it for the World Cup! Happy Days!!!

Off to the pub for the Saturday game is easy enough but the 2am kick off on a workday isn't so hot!

At the end of the day I wouldn't worry too much about commontery. You never get it at live games.

At the end of the day I wouldn't worry too much about commontery. You never get it at live games.

You dont have to listen to beckham, owen, gerrand, lampard, khrap.. 1000 times in 90 minutes at live games either :D

ESPN, the worldwide leader in sport... <deleted> off! :o

I checked the magazine too, and no mention of World Cup games on ESPN or STAR sports. Im beginning to think that tthis UBC is a waste of money, maybe ill just change my package for a couple of months (to the 350 Baht package - im sure Thai TV is included in this package) until the Premeirship begins again. :o

I don't remember language options during the last World Cup, but I don't remember listening to Thai commentary either.

There was English commentray during Euro 2004, from the same company, Dhosapak.

Anyhow, next time you drink Chang, remember them fondly for their WC broadcast.

if i remember rightly i was in pattaya for the last world cup and the local cable operator sofhon(i think) showed all the games in english ( i remember ron atkinson was doing the commentary they beamed it in off astro/solar sports dont know if they can do it this time but its worth checking out

The cheap cable I get in Phuket has Supersports from South Africa and Astro (not sure where its from, Philipines?) which are apparently both showing the World Cup, hopefully with English commentary - occassionally they screw up and we get French commentary for EPL matches.

Heres the Thai TV Schedule

(curtosey of Derek I might add)

Big cheers for Derek!

FYI, great schedule but do be aware that for the 21:00 start times in Germany, and the local Thai time of 02:00, that the schedule is incorrect. While they adjusted the time they forgot to change the date to +1 day.

An example would SWE-ENG, game starts at 21:00 on 20 June in Germany, so 02:00 on 21 June here in Thailand (the referenced schedule lists that game at 02:00 on 20 June).

Wouldn't want anyone to miss an important game.

FYI, great schedule but do be aware that for the 21:00 start times in Germany, and the local Thai time of 02:00, that the schedule is incorrect. While they adjusted the time they forgot to change the date to +1 day.

An example would SWE-ENG, game starts at 21:00 on 20 June in Germany, so 02:00 on 21 June here in Thailand (the referenced schedule lists that game at 02:00 on 20 June).

Wouldn't want anyone to miss an important game.

Well spotted

BE SURE TO UPDATE YOUR SCHEDULES!!!

Cheers Lomatopo

FWIW there is a great 1/2 page World Cup schedule in today's Bangkok Post (pg. 14, Sports section).

It has/shows everything, including an accurate TV schedule, with a channel listing for each match.

It looks like every single match will be televised, on one or more of channels 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, iTV.

The first match, the semi-finals and the final all list "ALL" for TV channels.