Work permit based on non regular hours

kimamey

I live in Thailand for about 6 months of the year on a Non Imm 'O' based on marriage. I've been asked to teach English in a local language school in Isaan but I'm not a qualified teacher. I know I need a work permit and my wife works in the Department of Skill Development and has access to the Ministry of Labour so has found out a bit but the problem seems to be that I would not be working set hours but covering if a teacher was unable to come in and also to help with correct pronunciation occasionally.

Has anyone else tried to get a WP without a set contract or actually got one?

This sounds a little like apple and oranges. I believe that if you have a contract that ties you to the school, that should be sufficient. The contract doesn't need to necessarily predict how much you will actually be working. We employ full-time substitute teachers. Some days they are very busy and other days they have nothing to do.

They do come in every day, however, and they do stay a full day.

Unless there is an attempt to be deliberately deceptive, I think you should be OK.

• Like 1

Could you please take the time and write your post once more, please? Just that people understand what you're talking about.

Might explain so many responses to your topic.-wai2.gif

Sorry I did write the post quickly land it was getting late but I think it's fairly clear that I was asking about getting a WP based on irregular working hours. Most posts on the subject of WPs for teaching seemed to be for fixed contracts.

This sounds a little like apple and oranges. I believe that if you have a contract that ties you to the school, that should be sufficient. The contract doesn't need to necessarily predict how much you will actually be working. We employ full-time substitute teachers. Some days they are very busy and other days they have nothing to do.

Unless there is an attempt to be deliberately deceptive, I think you should be OK.

Thanks for that. I wouldn't be going in every day but there's no intent to deceive.

I don't think the school is too worried about a WP and just want to pay cash. There's no advantage for me in doing that and I don't need to avoid tax or anything. I wouldn't be paid much which is OK but I don't want to risk any problems by not having a WP.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks for that. I wouldn't be going in every day but there's no intent to deceive.

I don't think the school is too worried about a WP and just want to pay cash. There's no advantage for me in doing that and I don't need to avoid tax or anything. I wouldn't be paid much which is OK but I don't want to risk any problems by not having a WP.

Easy answer ---- if the "employer " cannot be bothered to ensure you are working legally then refuse the "offer"

It is you who is liable to be prosecuted for illegal working !

• Like 1

You will need a contract to get a work permit. Contracts aren't dependant on how many hours or how often you work. As long as the school is willing to do the paperwork, then get the work permit. If you will only teach 1 or 2 lessons a month like a special seminar then it would be a lot of work for nothing, but if it will be fairly regular do things legally.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Easy answer ---- if the "employer " cannot be bothered to ensure you are working legally then refuse the "offer"

It is you who is liable to be prosecuted for illegal working !

That's my thinking as well. I think they can be prosecuted as well but from what I've heard it's never so bad for them and if they're Thai they won't experience visa problems as I would.