Done with the village life.

longstebe

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the op being in his 30s makes a big difference. He says his gf is in her 20s. At that age most guys and girls are busy working and should be.

I suppose not working for 8 months must have been very boring.

I think the op being in his 30s makes a big difference. He says his gf is in her 20s. At that age most guys and girls are busy working and should be.

I suppose not working for 8 months must have been very boring.

It was after a while mate, you can only pick so much fruit off a tree :-)

It was around the 4th month were I wanted to get back to work but it was a slow year for everyone (2009-'10).

Without sounding a bell I did say my wife not gf.

Edit: I'm the bell, I didn't mention it was my wife :-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by longstebe
  • Like 1

Get yourself a family and life would have been so boring. There's never enough hours in the day. I did consider moving to a city for the childrens sake but they can do that when they're of an age. Me, I love the place I live and all that comes with it.

Please forgive me. I'm curious about the definition of "village." How many residents would be in a village to call it a village?

Thanks. thumbsup.gifsmile.png

Is this a trick question?

A rhetorical and metaphorical question. thumbsup.gif

Please forgive me. I'm curious about the definition of "village." How many residents would be in a village to call it a village?

No. I really don't know. I've been in Isaan just once. In English I hear of villages, towns, cities... I also hear Mueang especially attached to capitals of provinces, but to other noteworthy towns.

I have lived only in Chiang Mai and only for a few months at a time.

Please define "village" in Isaan for me?

Thanks.

No. I really don't know. I've been in Isaan just once. In English I hear of villages, towns, cities... I also hear Mueang especially attached to capitals of provinces, but to other noteworthy towns.

I have lived only in Chiang Mai and only for a few months at a time.

Please define "village" in Isaan for me?

Thanks.

My apologies mate, thought you were being sarcastic.

Well off the top of my head I would say there's about 100 houses. Maybe my definition of a village differs from others. Its approximately 25 klm to the city.

• Like 1

a group of houses and associated buildings, larger than a hamlet and smaller than a town, situated in a rural area.

Furthermore for a town to become a city it must have a cathedral in places like the UK.

Just some further useless information.

Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

After five years or so we're finally leaving the village life behind.

It began back in '08 when we rushed ourselves into buying a piece of property what needed a lot of work doing. After 6 months or so it was ready for us to move in. The house was never up to the standard most of us are used to but it was ours and it was also my first ever house I'd owned (well, her house). We had about 2.5 rai with plenty of fruit trees which I loved, just to go out your back door and pick fruit from a tree put a big smile on my face. Our house was at the very back of the village surrounded by lush greenery, very pleasant on the eye.

It all came too light when I spent a total of 8 months there out of work, I knew it just wasn't for me. In my thirties and my wife in her late twenties it was now time to move into the city and try and sell the house. We've now sold it and we are both over the moon, albeit we're still in Isaan (Sakon), it's so much better for us. She now has a 5 minute drive to work and I only have a 10 min drive to the local farang hangout.

I'm not knocking the village life whatsoever, I see it as an experience.

Just thought I'd share my little story.

i can imagine how were your feelings in the village.

Me too i came to live with my wife in the Loei province in a farming village and i had to live there 3 years until my wife could get the transfer for work in Khon Kaen. ( my wife is an official teacher).

I thought i would become crazy in the village, really. But now in Kk we feel good and we aldo bought a new house.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

OP, thanks for sharing :)

I'm happy for you that you had the village experience and sold your (her) house in a timely manner. Good on you buddy!

I live in Chiang Mai and while its reasonably quiet, it can still get a bit noisy. I've always thought I would be bored stiff in a rural village but, unlike you, I've never actually tried it. I do find (most of) the folks in Isan to be genuine and more friendly than other areas of Thailand.

I still need to mix with my own kind and having many Westerners around would be a deal breaker for me...

• Like 1

We're still in Isaan (Sakon), it's so much better for us. She now has a 5 minute drive to work and I only have a 10 min drive to the local farang hangout.

Please do yourself (and the world) a favor and find more to life than the local farang hangout. I don't mean that as a slam- but as a constructive suggestion.

There's an old saying, "Wherever you go, there you are". If the village bored you after 8 months, I'd mark 8 months on a calendar and see if the farang hangout holds your interest any longer.

In the meantime, build a boat, restore a car, volunteer at the hospital, learn a language, or think back on all the things you wanted to do as a kid- and do some of them.

It was more tongue-n-cheek than anything else. Just for the record though, I do like to visit the local farang hideout and have a wee natter and a beer.

• Like 1

I've been living in a small village with my wife and daughter for almost 3 years now.

I like it, but there are times when I would love to move to the big city where it is much quieter and all of your neighbors are not family who consider everything that is your's to be their's.

It would also be nice to have a selection of places to shop, eat and be entertained as well.

I guess the perfect life would be to have a home in the village and one in the city too.

When one gets old, you switch to the other and back again...

The perfect life!

( if it matters, my village consists of about 30 houses along a river and surrounded by rice farms. Nearest "large village" a little over 1Km away with about 1500 people. Stil not much to offer there either. )

Edited by willyumiii
  • Like 1

OP, thanks for sharing :)

I'm happy for you that you had the village experience and sold your (her) house in a timely manner. Good on you buddy!

I live in Chiang Mai and while its reasonably quiet, it can still get a bit noisy. I've always thought I would be bored stiff in a rural village but, unlike you, I've never actually tried it. I do find (most of) the folks in Isan to be genuine and more friendly than other areas of Thailand.

I still need to mix with my own kind and having many Westerners around would be a deal breaker for me...

Nice reply that mate. I'm also like you, I like to mix with the westerners. It's certainly not a crime before anyone jumps on the 'go back home' wagon.

If you're ever in Sakon we'll have a meet up for a bevy or 2 :-)

• Like 1

OP, thanks for sharing smile.png

Nice reply that mate. I'm also like you, I like to mix with the westerners. It's certainly not a crime before anyone jumps on the 'go back home' wagon.

Be careful Buddy, "Have Bike; will Travel" might just wash up on the shores of Nakon some day :)

Any way we could smuggle in some Beer Lao? :)

OP, thanks for sharing smile.png

Be careful Buddy, "Have Bike; will Travel" might just wash up on the shores of Nakon some day :)

Any way we could smuggle in some Beer Lao? :)

I'm in Sakon Nakhon :-)

But I'm always up for a trip to Nakon Phanom especially to nip over the water and get some beer lao.

I used to live in my wife's village for a year, before we actually moved to Sisaket. Neither could I communicate with them, nor did they understand where I came from.

I was the first foreigner they'd seen in their village, then I had to pass all the being a man tests. Drank Lao Khao on daily bases with them, arm wrestling with the strongest guys who didn't believe why they'd lost,went to the rice fields in the morning around 6 am.

After all, a very good lesson for all involved. Nowadays we sometimes visit Ban Jai, and all of us are happy when back in town. Here's a Morlam dance show, which was shown in the middle of the local temple.

Just wondering how the monks' meditation went on this day. Didn't see them this evening.......seems that they had to wear horse blinders.

You won't see that in Pattaya in the same environment. I love Isaan people. Aeeh, their mentality.

P.S. Most f them are single.............................biggrin.png

We plan on moving to Si Saket in a few years. Watching that video makes me wonder how long it will take for the wife to change the locks, throw me out of the house I bought, and have me be back in BKK begging for beer money on Nana. Maybe you'll see a story about me in Coconuts one day.

• Like 2

I used to live in my wife's village for a year, before we actually moved to Sisaket. Neither could I communicate with them, nor did they understand where I came from.

I was the first foreigner they'd seen in their village, then I had to pass all the being a man tests. Drank Lao Khao on daily bases with them, arm wrestling with the strongest guys who didn't believe why they'd lost,went to the rice fields in the morning around 6 am.

After all, a very good lesson for all involved. Nowadays we sometimes visit Ban Jai, and all of us are happy when back in town. Here's a Morlam dance show, which was shown in the middle of the local temple.

Just wondering how the monks' meditation went on this day. Didn't see them this evening.......seems that they had to wear horse blinders.

You won't see that in Pattaya in the same environment. I love Isaan people. Aeeh, their mentality.

P.S. Most f them are single.............................biggrin.png

We plan on moving to Si Saket in a few years. Watching that video makes me wonder how long it will take for the wife to change the locks, throw me out of the house I bought, and have me be back in BKK begging for beer money on Nana. Maybe you'll see a story about me in Coconuts one day.

Your wife might consider this one more appropriate. Made in same village of my wife. wub.png

Edited by sirchai

Your wife might consider this one more appropriate. Made in same village of my wife. wub.png

Were you comatose on Sirchai's Lao Khao when filming this ?

No, but some monks fell in a sort of a coma. I had the best view.....w00t.gif