Done with the village life.

longstebe

@Hotrod - Lots of hard luck stories from people who met an Isaan girl, married her and then found out that they'd married into a family of lazy leaches.

Most of those guys no longer live in Isaan though, it's just the happy ones left (along with some who are in untested relationships). Most of the posters in the Isaan forum are happy here though, and insulting Isaan people means that you're insulting our wives, friends, children and inlaws, so you're unlikely to find much support for derogatory opinions in the Isaan forum section. If you'd like to commiserate with others who have hard luck stories, you might find more sympathetic ears in the Pattaya forum (Or post here but please don't make sweeping generalizations about all Isaan people).

For myself I live in an Amphur town, and have never lived in a village, although would be interested in doing so one day, as I think they'd be generally more social than living in a town/city (although the people might not necessarily be the type I want to socialize with lol). For visiting bars/restaurants etc it's easy enough to drive to a city/town anyway, but for that "popping over for a cup o tea" style village life might be fun (although it might be Lao Kaow instead lol).

But in saying that, I would need to work, or study, regardless of where I lived, and I think the OP will find that he's in the same boat (I'm a similar age to the OP). As you need a reason to get up in the morning, and something to give you purpose, kids might be enough I'm not sure, but working gives your life meaning.

I would suggest to the OP that he has a go at teaching, or alternatively (as it's not everyone's forte), get involved with the local temples, community events or clubs (e.g. A running club or regularly playing football with the Thai guys), and of course make sure you learn Thai or Isaan. These are the types of things which will greatly increase your quality of life in Isaan.

Also how big is a village.... How long is a piece of string :-p cities are usually provincial capitals, towns are Amphurs /district towns, Tumbons are usually a big village or small town and villages are Baans (I'm referencing the city/town/village which is named after the province/amphur/Tumbon. Although some Amphurs/Baans are big enough to be called cities/towns (e.g. Hat Yai is a district/Amphur in Songkla province).

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"insulting Isaan people means that you're insulting our wives, friends, children and inlaws"

I'm glad to see that other people on the forum feel this way.

A couple of weeks ago, the stickmanbangkok website printed a reader's story of the week, which, along with the usual clichés of "Isaan princesses" and "Nahkon Nowhere" had this to say about Isaan ladies "In an instant the sweet, façade of nicety will be replaced by a nastiness which emanates from deep in the jungles somewhere; a primal being not long down from the trees."

I emailed him and asked him if he realised just how offensive someone like myself, who has a Thai wife, children and grandchildren, found it to have them compared to monkeys simply on the basis of where they were born but he just didn't seem to get it.

"insulting Isaan people means that you're insulting our wives, friends, children and inlaws"

If you think Issan people dont insult or use derogatory remarks for each other, you are either misinformed, deaf or dont speak Thai.

Listen to the way other people from Issan speak about people from Buriam, Surin and Sisaket.

Listen to the use of "mia farang" and I dont mean it being used to describe a woman with a farang husband.

If you can speak Thai, listen to the lyrics, brilliant observations, Louis Wittong handbags, great stuff.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been involved with our village for about 12 years. Now making ready 4 rai on the edge backing a lake with house site + odourless (Philippino design) pig pen (yes it works), 6 large commercial fish ponds (looking for barramundi fingerlings and yabbies for the last 2 ponds), a lime tree orchard, bananas, crops for the pigs to forage, chook house, greenhouse etc. I am implementing the Kings closed biosystem step by step. I love the place and can only share a history of positive experience and acceptance. However with the sage advice from my wife I/we have worked conscientiously to participate in village activities and make a contribution to the community. My farung family has always been warmly embraced. Being involved has at times been a challenge but certainly worth the effort. I am 55.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Thank you, wonderful! Love watching these vids, especially when they contain well-received messages, not lifted too much out of their proper context, BUT it's exactly here I must have missed the ( probably relatve small village ) part, somewhere, the followup, next day, where I'm requested to donate some of my rice to them. Done with ( the basics ) of village life, huh? I don't think so, but, of course, I could be wrong ;-)

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Fair enough. You did well living there that long. I just holiday in the village but find myself getting bored after 3 weeks. Then cause I'm bored I start drinking beer. Then cause I'm drinking beer, she gets annoyed

Anyway you get the picture.

Mine kicks off after 2 or 3. That's in the city or the village!

Eleven years on the very EDGE of a moderate-sized Isaan city, with the baanawk (countryside) starting just a few hundred meters away. In 10 minutes I can be at the new shopping mall (cinema, Starbucks, shopping, IT stores, etc.) or sitting on a raft-restaurant in the river, eating freshly-caught fish, surrounded by jungle on both sides, or eating at a little noodle stand in the middle of some tiny rice village.

Best of both worlds! thumbsup.gif

(If I really get desperate for a more cosmopolitan civilization, Bangkok is a 45-minute flight away. But, I'm lately wondering about the "civilized" aspect of that latter choice... blink.png)

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 2

If you think Issan people dont insult or use derogatory remarks for each other, you are either misinformed, deaf or dont speak Thai.

Listen to the way other people from Issan speak about people from Buriam, Surin and Sisaket.

Listen to the use of "mia farang" and I dont mean it being used to describe a woman with a farang husband.

If you can speak Thai, listen to the lyrics, brilliant observations, Louis Wittong handbags,

I really don't get your point.

Just because a Thai person, or Isaan person or Burriram person uses an insult doesn't make the insult less offensive.

If a Songkla person went to Central Plaza in Ubon and yelled out "All Isaan girls are x y z", do you think they might insult someone?

If a poster comes to the Isaan section of the forums and posts "All Isaan girls are x y z", it has a similar effect.

If they do that in the south, or Bangkok or Pattaya, or in those forum sections, they'll offend significantly less people and this might get away with it, they might even have a lot of support for their comments.

Thus as I suggested in my original post, if you'd like acknowledgement and confirmation of any derogatory sweeping generalizations you have, goto another forum section.

Although also be mindful of the forum rules regarding insulting, trolling, racism and degradation of Thai people :)

• Like 2

After overnighting in the hell that is called jomtein enroute home from my 3 weeks in koh chang, i love the quiet ,i went outside the other night about 3am for a ciggarette, not a car engine,no disco or night clubs thumping out duh,duh,duh bass,only some crickets chirping,we live on the edge of a medium sized village,maybe 1,500 to 2000,i could be wrong,but it's not so big,town with amphur 10k away,Petchabun city 98k away,perfect for me,yes it can get boring but so can anywhere,personally i prefer the rural area's over cities,how any one would choose to live in Pattaya beat's me,but hey everyone is different,i could never live there though,and Jomtien,well they should rename it Jomtienski.

Did you mean Jomtienjetski, or Jomtienruskyski? -tongue.png

I have been involved with our village for about 12 years. Now making ready 4 rai on the edge backing a lake with house site + odourless (Philippino design) pig pen (yes it works), 6 large commercial fish ponds (looking for barramundi fingerlings and yabbies for the last 2 ponds), a lime tree orchard, bananas, crops for the pigs to forage, chook house, greenhouse etc. I am implementing the Kings closed biosystem step by step. I love the place and can only share a history of positive experience and acceptance. However with the sage advice from my wife I/we have worked conscientiously to participate in village activities and make a contribution to the community. My farung family has always been warmly embraced. Being involved has at times been a challenge but certainly worth the effort. I am 55.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My farung family has always been warmly embraced. Being involved has at times been a challenge but certainly worth the effort. I am 55

The 2014 Isaanlitzer price goes to.............Linno.We had so many names, but you'd choosen a new one. Okay, let's add your one to: farlang, farrang, faarlang, felong, fartlong, fatlong, feetlong, furunkelong, farandang, freindlang, and last but not least "farung." -w00t.gif

Now, after they know me for more than twelve years, I'm highly respected by all. It's not just because I enjoy having a chat with them.

It's more that I'm one of them, as I belong to my wife's family and they really like me. When I go there, I'm always invited by almost everybody to have some food, or something to drink.

Nobody comes and wants money from me, as they know that I'm just a little teechaaa.

I'm pretty much happy about this fact and enjoy my visits to Baan Jay. Anybody needs a buffalo?

Can give you a good price. And fantastic handwoven silk, produced by mom in law. -laugh.png

Different strokes for different folks. I live in the last house on a dirt roard in the middle of surgar cane and corn fields and wouldn't trade it for anything!

I think that is different to 'village life'.

I live in the middle of rice fields and the nearest neighbour (apart from a couple living in tin shacks nearby) is 3km away. That is not village life. to me village life is being surrounded by the daily activities of villagers who have nothing but time in their hands. Invariably gossiping while they eat somtam and drink lao khao.

You have no idea.

i can speak thai and issan,,so not a problem,,,

i dont want parasites around me like issan...i like to choose who i drink with,,and it aint the family every day...

pay for nothing but want everything...

i could go on...issan no more for me

everyone who is sane nows the thai husband / brother and giks come to ponce off the girls who have a falang....

how falangs have been kicked out of there homes...thai man moves in..

thats issan....

That's crap.Don't judge the rest of us by your lot.

• Like 1

If you can speak Thai, listen to the lyrics, brilliant observations, Louis Wittong handbags,

I really don't get your point.

Just because a Thai person, or Isaan person or Burriram person uses an insult doesn't make the insult less offensive.

If a Songkla person went to Central Plaza in Ubon and yelled out "All Isaan girls are x y z", do you think they might insult someone?

If a poster comes to the Isaan section of the forums and posts "All Isaan girls are x y z", it has a similar effect.

If they do that in the south, or Bangkok or Pattaya, or in those forum sections, they'll offend significantly less people and this might get away with it, they might even have a lot of support for their comments.

Thus as I suggested in my original post, if you'd like acknowledgement and confirmation of any derogatory sweeping generalizations you have, goto another forum section.

Although also be mindful of the forum rules regarding insulting, trolling, racism and degradation of Thai people smile.png

My point was, you are looking at it from a farang point of view and not from either a Thai or Issan point of view, nothing wrong with that, we are all entitled to have a personal point of view.

The song link I gave is an example of self parody, that would be evident to anyone with a basic understanding of the language, you at least have taken the effort to learn the language and and you will no doubt have found it gives a better understanding of how people view things.

I have been in Issan twice this month, the last time I was in a house in Korat the locals laughed at themselves on tv, sterotypes exist for a reason, the locals are well aware of this, thats why they are able to laugh at what they see on tv.

I appreciate there are many on here from different backgrounds and countries, I acknowledge some may come from countries where such openess of expression is frowned upon, people here have no such qualms when it comes to calling others names such as old, fat, or bald.

I didnt invent the language, I am but a mere student, the word ban nawk exists for a reason.

I dont know who made the quote about reading Stickman, I havent read the article for the simple reason his website is of no interest to me.

However if you want to see some sterotyping watch these inane lakorn shows or any of the comedy skits that appear on late night tv.

If Issan and or Thai people found these offensive they would soon be pulled, in MY experience they are loved, may well be they are too close to the bone that many would care to admit.

Although also be mindful of the forum rules regarding insulting, trolling, racism and degradation of Thai people

Wasnt aware of doing any of the above, it wasnt my intention to do so, my intention was to merely inform.

There is a big distinction based on the speaker and the tone as to how well these jokes are received.

My wife is from Issan and we live in her village now. She thinks its hilarious when they parody village life on TV, if it is done as a light-hearted comedy and especially if the actors are from Issan and speak some Issan. I think the most laughs are reserved for sketches where some central Thai from BKK or a westerner finds themselves in a village where silly language and culture misunderstandings for the basis for the jokes. Neither the westerner or the central Thai are put down though just situational comedy around the misunderstandings between them and the locals.

She gets very angry though, when she hears central Thais talking down about people from Issan. Even when they try to pass it as a joke they are often trying to set a barb in with the comment. On the other hand she usually couldn't care less what foreigners think as she figures they don't know anything about what it is like to be a Thai person from Issan (or anywhere else for that matter).

From what I can see, the locals in my area are very quick to "take the piss" from one another in lighthearted ways with no hard feelings, but they are very quick to anger if they think there was an intentional insult given. My wife is careful to always be polite to anyone who is not in her immediate family, if she disagrees with someone she just smiles and doesn't comment. Immediate family are not quite so lucky though.

As a side note, I find it funny who the westerners seem to form these strong opinions on issues that they know little about. Too many westerners sit on a bar stool in some western enclave talking about Issan as an expert after their one trip to meet their bar girls family. Also too many westerners who live in the country trash Bangkok/Pattaya/Phuket as unlivable despite never having lived in any of those places for more than a month or two. Speaking negatively about how another person lives their life says more about the speaker than anything else. There are good and bad things about both urban and rural lifestyles; there are good and bad things about the various regions of Thailand. I don't have any problem with people stating what their preferences are but I get a bit perturbed when people state something is empirically better or worse. Saying that you don't want to stay in a small village is one thing, implying that someone is a loser because they chose to do so is a different matter entirely.

• Like 2

I think the op being in his 30s makes a big difference. He says his gf is in her 20s. At that age most guys and girls are busy working and should be.

I suppose not working for 8 months must have been very boring.

Exactly, and there is no age limit on being bored & not working, depends on each individual mind. My question is what qualifies as a village. My wife's home is out in the country, no internet nor cell service & about a 15 min motorbike ride thru lush countryside to the closest commercial area - Thai shops, an open market & a 7/11. Another 40min to an hour to Makro or Central Plaza. In America I'd call places like these..."where you go to die".

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

My point was, you are looking at it from a farang point of view and not from either a Thai or Issan point of view, nothing wrong with that, we are all entitled to have a personal point of view.

The song link I gave is an example of self parody, that would be evident to anyone with a basic understanding of the language, you at least have taken the effort to learn the language and and you will no doubt have found it gives a better understanding of how people view things.

I have been in Issan twice this month, the last time I was in a house in Korat the locals laughed at themselves on tv, sterotypes exist for a reason, the locals are well aware of this, thats why they are able to laugh at what they see on tv.

I appreciate there are many on here from different backgrounds and countries, I acknowledge some may come from countries where such openess of expression is frowned upon, people here have no such qualms when it comes to calling others names such as old, fat, or bald.

I didnt invent the language, I am but a mere student, the word ban nawk exists for a reason.

I dont know who made the quote about reading Stickman, I havent read the article for the simple reason his website is of no interest to me.

However if you want to see some sterotyping watch these inane lakorn shows or any of the comedy skits that appear on late night tv.

If Issan and or Thai people found these offensive they would soon be pulled, in MY experience they are loved, may well be they are too close to the bone that many would care to admit.

Although also be mindful of the forum rules regarding insulting, trolling, racism and degradation of Thai people

Wasnt aware of doing any of the above, it wasnt my intention to do so, my intention was to merely inform.

If that's what your post was meaning, then I took it the wrong way.

As satire of stereotypes is fine, and doing it for comedy is completely different to the stereotyping and over generalisations which I was referring to, provided of course that the person doing so uses the correct medium and is "qualified" to do it. As if done incorrectly, satire can be offensive, but usually people don't do it for comedic purposes without knowing how to use satire without being offensive lol.

I was thinking that you were defending hotrod's post, as that most definitely wasn't satire or for comedic effect. Which is also why I posted the bit at the end, since if he posted something similar to his previous posts, he might cause further offence.

Also I usually look at things from either a Western or Urban Isaan perspective, as since I live in an Amphur town rather than a village, and work at a large school, most of the Isaan/Thai adults which I associate with don't fit into many of the stereotypes often associated with Isaan (Except as being superstitious, kind and genuine people). As most teachers are well paid, educated and part of being a teacher is that they shouldn't be alcoholics, gamble or visit karaoke bars, or at least not where other people can easily see anyway, since they're meant to be role models for students.

Although of course, I do understand where the negative stereotype comes from, as I only have to look next door at our aunt, who has never asked me for money, but would otherwise fit the bill lol. Other distantly linked family members which we occasionally visit might also fit some of the stereotypes, but I really don't get many opportunities to associate with them, even the random guys I have a yarn with while out running etc usually don't fit the stereotypes lol (But then hobbies/sports don't really go with the stereotype either lol).

But yeah, one day I might try living in a village, as I wanted to buy a plot of land + build a house in a village, as the land in our Amphur town was too expensive, but my fiance didn't want to live out of town, so we ended up knocking down her family house and rebuilding it instead. I'll get my chance to live rural one day though, as we're both realistic about the fact that this isn't our dream house, and that we'll just use it until we can afford to buy a large section + build another house, at which point her mum can have the one we're building. I really do think that living in a village would be fun though, as one of the things I really love about living in Thailand is the sense of community, I think to enjoy your stay in rural Isaan, you really do need to be a part of the community via work or community events etc (Living in a city is a different kettle of fish, as you have amenities to entertain you, and other farang to socialise with, even if you don't enjoy meeting Thai people).

• Like 1

In a weird way I had to laugh when I read this today:

Also I usually look at things from either a Western or Urban Isaan perspective, as since I live in an Amphur town rather than a village, and work at a large school, most of the Isaan/Thai adults which I associate with don't fit into many of the stereotypes often associated with Isaan (Except as being superstitious, kind and genuine people)

Driving home today, I rounded a corner to find a sugar truck, on my side of the road in the process of falling over, another car on the 'right' side of the road, nowhere to go so I slammed on the brakes came to a stop and watched as the now on its side sugar truck sliding headlong into my truck, 'BANG'.

My wife, university educated, SCB bank manager, was at the temple this morning, doing one of those 'lucky' thingies. Her memorable comment on coming to get me was that, her visiting the temple this morning had 'obviously' turned a definitely mortal event into something less bad. Oh Well....metal can be repaired

I used to live in my wife's village for a year, before we actually moved to Sisaket. Neither could I communicate with them, nor did they understand where I came from.

I was the first foreigner they'd seen in their village, then I had to pass all the being a man tests. Drank Lao Khao on daily bases with them, arm wrestling with the strongest guys who didn't believe why they'd lost,went to the rice fields in the morning around 6 am.

After all, a very good lesson for all involved. Nowadays we sometimes visit Ban Jai, and all of us are happy when back in town. Here's a Morlam dance show, which was shown in the middle of the local temple.

Just wondering how the monks' meditation went on this day. Didn't see them this evening.......seems that they had to wear horse blinders.

You won't see that in Pattaya in the same environment. I love Isaan people. Aeeh, their mentality.

P.S. Most f them are single.............................biggrin.png

That's NOT Morlam! Give me a break!

I used to live in my wife's village for a year, before we actually moved to Sisaket. Neither could I communicate with them, nor did they understand where I came from.

I was the first foreigner they'd seen in their village, then I had to pass all the being a man tests. Drank Lao Khao on daily bases with them, arm wrestling with the strongest guys who didn't believe why they'd lost,went to the rice fields in the morning around 6 am.

After all, a very good lesson for all involved. Nowadays we sometimes visit Ban Jai, and all of us are happy when back in town. Here's a Morlam dance show, which was shown in the middle of the local temple.

Just wondering how the monks' meditation went on this day. Didn't see them this evening.......seems that they had to wear horse blinders.

You won't see that in Pattaya in the same environment. I love Isaan people. Aeeh, their mentality.

P.S. Most f them are single.............................biggrin.png

That's NOT Morlam! Give me a break!
It's a poor mans gogo. Edited by Skint

Please forgive me. I'm curious about the definition of "village." How many residents would be in a village to call it a village?

Thanks. thumbsup.gifsmile.png

Is this a trick question?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

a group of houses and associated buildings, larger than a hamlet and smaller than a town, situated in a rural area.

Furthermore for a town to become a city it must have a cathedral in places like the UK.

Just some further useless information.

According to the BBC the need to have a cathedral ended in the 19th century....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13841482

Just some further needed information...

• 3 weeks later...

Where is the local farang hangout in sakon?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Apples restaurant and bakery.

2 km south of big c. Also the pit stop which is close by.

Cool. I know where apples is at. No idea about the pit stop. I'll try and stop into apples when I get a chance. What are the hours?

Cool. I know where apples is at. No idea about the pit stop. I'll try and stop into apples when I get a chance. What are the hours?

Me thinks it's 09:00-21:00.

Take them times with a pinch of salt though mate. Friday nights tend to go on after 21:00 due to the lads bringing their partners out.

Are you local mate?

Take them times with a pinch of salt though mate. Friday nights tend to go on after 21:00 due to the lads bringing their partners out.

Are you local mate?

I've recently relocated on a more permanent basis to sakon. Still have a house in pattaya but we don't stay down there anymore.

Are you local mate?

I've recently relocated on a more permanent basis to sakon. Still have a house in pattaya but we don't stay down there anymore.

Oh ok fella. I'm back in Sakon in 3 weeks or so, maybe I'll catch you in apples.