How to say "whine" or "whiner" in Thai?

dude123

I want to say

TookTookOne Khun whines "everday she whines"

TookTookone meaning "everday"

also..........

how can I say "she is a whiner"?

I want to know how to say "whine" and "whiner" in a polite way, not a rude way to be vulgar.

Edited by dude123
  • Haha 1

คุณบ่นทุกๆ วัน

I guess your meaning of "whine" is บ่น

A whiner would be ขี้บ่น

Alternatively, I suppose you could also use โวยวาย and ขี้โวยวาย.

It depends in what way this person whines. โวยวาย is a more loudly form of whine.

คุณบ่นทุกๆ วัน

I guess your meaning of "whine" is บ่น

A whiner would be ขี้บ่น

Alternatively, I suppose you could also use โวยวาย and ขี้โวยวาย.

It depends in what way this person whines. โวยวาย is a more loudly form of whine.

Thanks for your reply Mole!

If you were to prounounce บ่น in english letters how would you write it?

same for ขี้บ่น, how would that sound if you could write the sound in eng?

for "thankyou" in Thai, I write it in english as it sounds to me as Korp Khun Krup.

That's how I write things down until I get the sound of them in my memory.

ครวญคราง Kruan Krang is to whine about everything.....

ผู้ครวญคราง Poo Kruan Krang is the person doing said whining...

บ่น = 'Bon" although that tends to be more complaint specific than endless whining....

I take you have a whiner in your office...? Poor you....

for "thankyou" in Thai, I write it in english as it sounds to me as Korp Khun Krup.

ขี้บ่น = Kee Bon, though the prefix '' ขี้'' (Kee) isn't particularly polite....

Korp Khun Krup is just fine....however I can't stress enough how important it is to get hitting those Thai script books and wean yourself off Romanisations....Good luck with the whiner...

Edited by HeavyDrinker

ครวญคราง Kruan Krang is to whine about everything.....

ผู้ครวญคราง Poo Kruan Krang is the person doing said whining...

บ่น = 'Bon" although that tends to be more complaint specific than endless whining....

I take you have a whiner in your office...? Poor you....

ขี้บ่น = Kee Bon, though the prefix '' ขี้'' (Kee) isn't particularly polite....

Korp Khun Krup is just fine....however I can't stress enough how important it is to get hitting those Thai script books and wean yourself off Romanisations....Good luck with the whiner...

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!!! Yes, will get to those Thai script books. Any good ones on the net that I can look at?

Yes, have a whiner in the office lol

You should not analyze Thai words by what it's made up. Words containing ขี้ does not necessary mean it'll be an impolite word just because it contains this word which would normally by itself mean "excrement".

Would you for example say that ขี้เกียจ is impolite because it also contains ขี้??

I also see that you've simply looked up the word "whine" in the dictionary and got ครวญคราง.

I also did that before my first reply, ครวญคราง isn't really used in day to day speech.

Can you provide any examples of a 'positive' verb prefixed by ขี้ or are you just peed off because you got it wrong?

• Like 1

You should not analyze Thai words by what it's made up. Words containing ขี้ does not necessary mean it'll be an impolite word just because it contains this word which would normally by itself mean "excrement".

Would you for example say that ขี้เกียจ is impolite because it also contains ขี้??

I also see that you've simply looked up the word "whine" in the dictionary and got ครวญคราง.

I also did that before my first reply, ครวญคราง isn't really used in day to day speech.

Can you provide any examples of a 'positive' verb prefixed by ขี้ or are you just peed off because you got it wrong?

Mole didn't get anything wrong. You implied--quite wrongly--that the construction using ขี้ was somehow "impolite" *because* of the presence of ขี้ (where the heck did you get that?!) and Mole (a native speaker of Thai, in case you're forgetting) ably proved you wrong.

Deal with it, put your tail between your legs and scurry away, why don't you? Don't hang around and be a คนขี้หาเรื่อง or a คนขี้บ่น...which, by the way, is a very common spoken (and written) Thai phrase which I have heard many times.

Edited by Ajaan

Mole didn't get anything wrong. You implied--quite wrongly--that the construction using ขี้ was somehow "impolite" *because* of the presence of ขี้ (where the heck did you get that?!) and Mole (a native speaker of Thai, in case you're forgetting) ably proved you wrong.

Deal with it, put your tail between your legs and scurry away, why don't you? Don't hang around and be a คนขี้หาเรื่อง or a คนขี้บ่น...which, by the way, is a very common spoken (and written) Thai phrase which I have heard many times.

Before getting your wife to type your Thai would you care to show me how ขี้ is ever used in a positive sense...or maybe our 'native' Thai speaker Me Mole, who couldn't even get close to the right answer in the first place may care to try....

The problem with these kinds of translation questions is that the English word can have several meanings.

If the poster wants to get a correct answer he needs to describe the context in which the English word (whine in this case) is used.

An alternative translation could be จู้จี้

If the whining person whines about small details, complains because of small mistakes, or is overly strict.

Obviously you have problems understand the meaning of "negative".

I don't really understand why you're so stuck with needing a positive meaning of word ขี้??? Nobody ever said that ขี้ was positive!!!

It is however NOT impolite as you clearly thought it was.

BTW, here's a few words for you:

ขี้เกรงใจ

ขี้ผึ้ง

ขี้เถ้า

ขี้ฝุ่น

ขี้มูก

ขี้หู

Edited by Mole
  • Like 2

So no one, can provide a use of "ขี้" ever used in a positive way....

ขี้เล่น - playful, fun-loving, frisky, fond of joking is one that springs to mind.

There's also ขี้สงสาร - tenderhearted, compassionate and ขี้อาย - shy, bashful -not necessarily a bad thing.

In a negative sense, there's ขี้เมา ขี้เหล้า ขี้โม้ ขี้คุย .. tongue.png

Edited by katana
  • Like 2

Oh yes! You certainly nailed it with ขี้เล่น!

I knew there must be a word which is positive with ขี้ but just could not get it in my mind.

Although I suppose (at least in Thai society) it's better with เขาเป็นคนขี้เกรงใจ than เขาเป็นคนไม่ค่อยเกรงใจ.

In this case, being called คนขี้เกรงใจ could be rather seen as a compliment (positive attribute of a person).

No Thai would ever say that there's ever too much ความเกรงใจ. "ขี้เกรงใจ" something you describe a person.

เขาเป็นคนขี้เกรงใจ and เขาเป็นคนเกรงใจ is not the same.

Such as เขาเป็นคนขี้โม้ or เขาเป็นคนโม้ is different meaning.

Or เขาเป็นคนขี้เกียจ and เขาเป็นคนเกียจ

ขี้เล่น may also be attributed to a person who doesn't take things seriously, so depending on context, it may also be "negative".

But certainly if a woman describes her man เขาเป็นคนขี้เล่นทำให้ฉันหัวเราะบ่อยๆ certainly must be seen as a compliment (something positive)!

However, NONE of these words are IMPOLITE. Certainly not because of the word ขี้.

How else would you say the word ขี้ผึ้ง if you're gonna worry that it's "impolite" because of the word ขี้??

Edited by Mole
  • Like 1

ขี้เล่น

So that would be the same ''ขี้เล่น'' one hears Thai parents and teachers yelling at unruly kids all the time...not really a 'positive' is it pal?

and none of katana's examples are really positive....

You need to look up the word '' IMPOLITE'' as regards to ''positive'' meaning ...

My apologies for getting hot and pedantic but when I see some TEFL sort calling himself 'Ajaan; when he clearly knows nothing himself...it got my goat, if you will........

Edited by HeavyDrinker

Actually, I don't have to look up anything.

The irony is that anybody in here can see that you're the one who needs to constantly look up things in the dictionary.

ขี้ผึ้ง

ขี้เถ้า

Are certainly not impolite or negative words.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Boastful is not 100% correct, because ขี้โม้ is only used for things which are not true

So you call somebody ขี้โม้ if he is boasting about something which never happened

Usually it's used in a playful way

So if for example you date a girl and tell her you have a private jet to impress her, she might call you ขี้โม้ because she doesn't believe you ????

• Like 1

This is an old thread where a disagreement came about because one poster said ‘impolite’ when he meant ‘negative’.

People don’t use words with precision, “only used for” is a statement which is easily disproved.

I have no experience of ขี้โม้ so I went downstairs and asked, the answer was boastful. The inflexion -ful I assume is provided for by ขี้.

Equivalent words, or what people call vocabulary, just add another layer of misunderstanding in my view. Thai speaker translates, โว, พูดเกินความจริง as ‘boastful’ and an English speaker sees ขีโม้ as showing excessive pride and satisfaction in one’s achievements. Which is why I said “generally accepted to be boastful”.

Your example screams โกหก to me. But I assume that you have experienced ขี้โม้ it is more playful than that. โกหก is a very negative word so could I say that you see ขี้โม้ as a kind way of saying โกหก?

ขี้คุย can mean the same, how does that come about? I think that If people know คุย as meaning ‘conversation’ that could mean loves to chat. The Thai interpretation seems to ask why is he eager to chat, to tell us something, to brag of course why else would someone initiate a conversation?

I expect that most people will find me incoherent but never mind.

You will see ขี้ being said to be positive by Katana in ขี้เล่น >playful, agreed to by Mole, the native speaker, but then contradicted by a teacher who said to children in class where it is definitely negative.

Would you say that your experience of ขี้โม้ accuses you of being ขี้เล่น ?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Nearest English transliterations would be helpful on this thread

Sorry, I realise my deficiency in that department but it is very labourious because of the refusal of the spell checker to accept what is written. The word we are discussing is ขี้ khee (2nd or falling tone) meaning excrement. Used before the verb โม้ mow (3rd or high tone) verb to make of โม้ an adjective.

Also mentioned is คุย khoo-ee (common or no tone) to converse and ขี้ khee making of คุย an adjective.

The last word is ขี้ เล่น len (2nd tone) meaning play. the effect of ขี้ again makes the suffix -ful playful.

I hope that helps.

P.s. I see that I wrote more than that.

Definitions appear in

โว wow , phoot gern kwam jing = speak more than the truth. ‘exaggerate’ you might say.

I will leave it there just in case it does nothing for you.

In english one would say party pooper, or she is very constipated, or a half empty glass sort of person. Regardless, not someone who is fun to be around. I find most Thai people to be quite positive. One of the things I love about them. But, there are always some. My heart goes out to you, if you are stuck with one. Not an easy habit to change.