What is this fish called in Thailand?

pickledvegtables

In the US, along the east coast, it is called Bluefish. In Australia it is called Tailor. What is it called in Thailand? Is it fished commercially? Where can I buy some?

The Bluefish (Pomatomus saltatrix) is the only living species of the family Pomatomidae. It is a marine pelagic fish that can be found around the world in temperate and subtropical waters, except for the northern Pacific Ocean. Bluefish are known as tailor in Australia, shad on the east coast of South Africa, and elf on the west coast. Other common names regarding this fish are blue, chopper, and anchoa. It is a good eating and game fish.

Read more at http://www.redorbit.com/education/reference_library/animal_kingdom/fish/1112981338/bluefish-pomatomus-saltatrix/#Hias12C34FrcGc4x.99

Pomatomus_saltatrix-copy-617x416.jpg

I am pretty sure that Tailor are not found in Thai waters,even in Australia they are primarily a sports or recreational fish.

Straight from hook to pan they are good eating but once out of the water they spoil very quickly,the flesh literally turns to mush within a couple of hours after death

On rare occasions they are sold in fishmongers in Australia when they are caught as a by product of beach seining.

• Like 1

Found this not sure if it's just the latin name in Thai, maybe someone here can read it ปลาบลูฟิช

Then I found this

บล็อบฟิช

... ั งกฤษ : deep sea fish )[ 2 ] ปลาบล ็ อบฟ ชสามารถพบเจอได ้ ในก ้ นทะเลซ ึ่ งม ี ความกดอากาศมากกว ่ ...

... ประส ิ ทธ ิ ภาพของกระเพาะปลาลดต ่ ำลง แต ่ ปลาบล ็ อบฟ ชม ี หน ั งเป ็ นแพว ุ้ นอ ั ...

Edited by rhythmworx

Found this not sure if it's just the latin name in Thai, maybe someone here can read it ปลาบลูฟิช

Then I found this

บล็อบฟิช

... ั งกฤษ : deep sea fish )[ 2 ] ปลาบล ็ อบฟ ชสามารถพบเจอได ้ ในก ้ นทะเลซ ึ่ งม ี ความกดอากาศมากกว ่ ...

... ประส ิ ทธ ิ ภาพของกระเพาะปลาลดต ่ ำลง แต ่ ปลาบล ็ อบฟ ชม ี หน ั งเป ็ นแพว ุ้ นอ ั ...

This just reads "Plaa Blue Fish" and Plaa in thai means fish.

I don't think they live in Thai waters, but we have a lot of blues off the coast here in New York. Fun to fish for, ok tasting meat. Little ones are called snappers here.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Could also be ปลาแฌ็ด (Plā c̣hæ̆d, Shad)

Wiki says they (bluefish) live in SE Asia but whether that includes the area around Thailand is not stated.

Yes,may not be in the waters around Thailand. Do not think it is shad as in the American shad which migrate up rivers to spawn and blue fish is a pelagic fish or one that lives in the open waters away from the coastal areas. Shad also has different fins then blues as in photo below. But yes off of the coast of Africa it is called shad.

american_shad.jpg

Edited by pickledvegtables

In some places on the US East Coast, they're called "choppers" because of the noise their teeth make when they're trying to bite everything that gets close to them. I used to love to fish for them on the east coast where my biggest was about 15 lbs. Had 'em in Texas, but never caught one over a pound or so. They are a superb sport fish- especially on topwater, and great eating if you cut out the bloodline before cooking them.

In way of a comparison, put a bluefish and an American shad in the same water, and you'll end up with a happy bluefish and a few shad scales floating away.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1