khwaibah

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is more info on the poll:

A poll by Chiang Mai University in Thailand has showed that local people do not welcome the increasing number of Chinese tourists, reports the state-run China News Service (CNS).

CNS cited a poll published on Feb. 17 which claimed that 80% of those surveyed said that they dislike Chinese visitors because they do not respect local culture and leave a mess.

Visitors from China were criticized for talking too loudly in public, cutting in line, smoking, spitting and litter in the streets. Some 70% said peace and quiet are immediately destroyed whenever a Chinese visitor enters the house; 53% complained that the local government does nothing to address poor behavior on the part of tourists, and 30% said public order in Chiang Mai has been jeopardized because of the increasing number of Chinese tourists.

CNS reported that Chiang Mai University has begun to ask visitors to show their photo ID or passport on entering its campus after a group of Chinese visitors spent a night camping on the grounds, during which they painted on the ground without permission.

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20140224000074&cid=1103

A poll by Chiang Mai University in Thailand has showed that local people do not welcome the increasing number of Chinese tourists, reports the state-run China News Service (CNS).

CNS cited a poll published on Feb. 17 which claimed that 80% of those surveyed said that they dislike Chinese visitors because they do not respect local culture and leave a mess.

Visitors from China were criticized for talking too loudly in public, cutting in line, smoking, spitting and litter in the streets. Some 70% said peace and quiet are immediately destroyed whenever a Chinese visitor enters the house; 53% complained that the local government does nothing to address poor behavior on the part of tourists, and 30% said public order in Chiang Mai has been jeopardized because of the increasing number of Chinese tourists.

CNS reported that Chiang Mai University has begun to ask visitors to show their photo ID or passport on entering its campus after a group of Chinese visitors spent a night camping on the grounds, during which they painted on the ground without permission.

the Chinese tourists spent more than one night camping by the lake at CMU. they also sprayed graffiti.

furthermore Khum Phaya and Khum Kantoke have been extremely disappointed with Chinese tourists who have defecated in the hallways and grounds of the this beautiful establishment presumably during the night.

There are a couple of articles in Chiang Mai News about this poll, but really not much more information than a very brief summary of the results and nothing about whether the poll is valid or not.

My personal encounters have been pleasant, but I have been very careful driving since tourists on bikes and motorbikes can be careless. As tourists, they tend to be looking at the sites rather than after themselves. At the same time, I have seen a fair number of bandaged farang in hospital. No Chinese yet although I imagine there must have been some this season.

the Chinese tourists spent more than one night camping by the lake at CMU. they also sprayed graffiti.

furthermore Khum Phaya and Khum Kantoke have been extremely disappointed with Chinese tourists who have defecated in the hallways and grounds of the this beautiful establishment presumably during the night.

What are Khum Phaya and Khum Kantoke? Seems they might need some signage in Chinese.

Maybe they will have to send them to Pattaya. There was a thread there that Pattaya was talking to the Chinese Government because they want more of them.

No thank youbiggrin.png

I have extensive experience with Chinese Tourists as customers, and can honestly say, in over 4-5 years have only had 1 pleasant experience out of hundreds if not more.

Funny enough, all my staff are not too found of them either.

Really unsure if its culture or just way to behave, but i have serious doubts they act same way back in China

• Like 1

What are Khum Phaya and Khum Kantoke? Seems they might need some signage in Chinese.

really lovely establishments owned by Centara Group (Central) - well at least the hotel/spa is. not sure if Khum Kantoke located on the same grounds is part of the group.located behind Big C Super Highway. hotel/spa is really lovely. khantoke is popular with busloads of Chinese tourists - some obviously poorly behaved.

Why? They have been living with the Chinese for hundreds of years.

Suddenly, they remembered to get angry with the tourists?

Even the Chines Thais complain about the Chinese tourists! I watched a Chinese family's kid squat and take a dump on the pavement by the moat road! A group of Chinese rented motor bikes and there wasn't enough helmets to go around for the pillion passengers so they just started taking helmets from other bike parked near by! It's true to say they're not very popular in CM I'm afraid

Even the Chines Thais complain about the Chinese tourists! I watched a Chinese family's kid squat and take a dump on the pavement by the moat road! A group of Chinese rented motor bikes and there wasn't enough helmets to go around for the pillion passengers so they just started taking helmets from other bike parked near by! It's true to say they're not very popular in CM I'm afraid

This is not just when travelling. When I visited the Forbidden City in Beijing there was a mother who pulled down her son's pants to let him take a dump in the middle of the crowds. She did have the courtesy to place a paper plate under him though, so she's got that going for her, which is nice...

This is not just when travelling. When I visited the Forbidden City in Beijing there was a mother who pulled down her son's pants to let him take a dump in the middle of the crowds. She did have the courtesy to place a paper plate under him though, so she's got that going for her, which is nice...

She was obviously from a good family.... When you see the Chinese tourists it does make you wonder if that one child law is still in place as they do seem to have a few nippers about them

There are a couple of articles in Chiang Mai News about this poll, but really not much more information than a very brief summary of the results and nothing about whether the poll is valid or not.

My personal encounters have been pleasant, but I have been very careful driving since tourists on bikes and motorbikes can be careless. As tourists, they tend to be looking at the sites rather than after themselves. At the same time, I have seen a fair number of bandaged farang in hospital. No Chinese yet although I imagine there must have been some this season.

The poll summary here - Chiang Mai City News

Have to say they are a danger to themselves and locals. See them regularly either walking or biking around CMU oblivious to their surroundings. They stand out though, nearly all wearing cloth sunhats and/or umbrellas, so I know when driving near them to be extra cautious. Have to admit there were two ladies in sun dresses a few days ago that took too much of my attention driving. biggrin.png

//edit - I don't know if they do this yet or not but perhaps hand out placards/cards on the plane in Chinese & English spelling out the do's and don'ts while in Thailand.

Visitors from China were criticized for talking too loudly in public, cutting in line, smoking, spitting and litter in the streets.

i think the main reason is the fact that chinese look down on the thai (and all other SE asian people). they don't kiss ass (no flattering, no wai'ing) and couldn't care less what thai think about them.

Maybe they will have to send them to Pattaya. There was a thread there that Pattaya was talking to the Chinese Government because they want more of them.

No thank youbiggrin.png

I have extensive experience with Chinese Tourists as customers, and can honestly say, in over 4-5 years have only had 1 pleasant experience out of hundreds if not more.

Funny enough, all my staff are not too found of them either.

Really unsure if its culture or just way to behave, but i have serious doubts they act same way back in China

Unfortunately they do!

It's not just tourists that are coming. Many of them are relocating on a more permanent basis.

International and bilingual schools are now being flooded with applicants from China who just show up in minivan loads - nearly always without appointments.

They are coming!

"Visitors from China were criticized for talking too loudly in public, cutting in line, smoking, spitting and litter in the streets."

Besides talking too loud, aren't Thais infamous for exactly the same? :-D

Edited by monkeycountry
  • Like 1

I have a good friend that's Hong Kong Chinese and he despises the mainlanders for the being discussed reasons. He calls them Locusts(very derogatory term in HK).

I remember visiting Thailand for the first time years ago, there was always literature around in tour agencies, on the planes and hotels on how to behave when visiting Thailand. Tour guides would always tell you to be polite, take off shoes, the Wai, etc. Looks like the Chinese tourists are not getting the memo.

• Like 1

Its more then the Chiang Mai residents unhappy with Chinese tourists its probably more accurate to say just about anyone who has to be near Chinese tourists are probably not happy to be around them. I flew from Surat to Don Muang on Friday, get out of the plane and into the Air Asia shuttle bus to the terminal and its packed. This big Chinese family (yes I saw a passport) let their 7-9 year old son whip it out and pee on the floor of the bus while we were all jammed in there like sardines. The family was loudly and happily chatting away probably thinking oh... Bangkok is lovely lets go shopping! I was fuming

There is occasional comedy though. On another flight heading the opposite route I was surrounded by a big group of 20 or so younger post college age Chinese. Flight attendants swarmed the area as every one of them ordered spaghetti and I was surrounded by a horde of synchronized spaghetti slurping Chinese.

Edited by Taco

You suggest signs like this?

post-157796-0-42691600-1393296804_thumb.

I saw an adult Chinese woman drop her short pants and squat and relieve herself right at the tree on the Southeast corner of the moat (on the sidewalk directly in front of the moo kata place that recently moved). This was right in the middle of the day with people everywhere. Thais were looking in disbelief.

well, there will be a big increase in tourist drownings methinks. They don't seem to have adapted to water.....