Chiang Mai Residents Unhappy with Chinese Tourists

khwaibah

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Tourists in Pattaya....I'll trade you two Chinese for four Russians.......Hope the

Russians discover CM soon.

How about you guys in Patters keep all them ruskies, and Chiang Mai will divert all the Chinese tourists down there as well, seeing what a cesspool that Pattaya has become no one will notice any differencethumbsup.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Think this is MAINLAND Chinese. We here in Hong Kong cannot stand them either.

Can take the Chinese mainlander out of the village, but cannot take the village out of the Chinese mainlander.

definitely we are not talking about H.K. Chinese who are well-traveled and polite. it's the mainland Chinese tourist explosion we are experiencing in Chiang Mai.

Here is more info on the poll:

A poll by Chiang Mai University in Thailand has showed that local people do not welcome the increasing number of Chinese tourists, reports the state-run China News Service (CNS).

CNS cited a poll published on Feb. 17 which claimed that 80% of those surveyed said that they dislike Chinese visitors because they do not respect local culture and leave a mess.

Visitors from China were criticized for talking too loudly in public, cutting in line, smoking, spitting and litter in the streets. Some 70% said peace and quiet are immediately destroyed whenever a Chinese visitor enters the house; 53% complained that the local government does nothing to address poor behavior on the part of tourists, and 30% said public order in Chiang Mai has been jeopardized because of the increasing number of Chinese tourists.

CNS reported that Chiang Mai University has begun to ask visitors to show their photo ID or passport on entering its campus after a group of Chinese visitors spent a night camping on the grounds, during which they painted on the ground without permission.

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20140224000074&cid=1103

the Chinese tourists spent more than one night camping by the lake at CMU. they also sprayed graffiti.

furthermore Khum Phaya and Khum Kantoke have been extremely disappointed with Chinese tourists who have defecated in the hallways and grounds of the this beautiful establishment presumably during the night.

What are Khum Phaya and Khum Kantoke? Seems they might need some signage in Chinese.

Signs saying what? "Please Don't Be A__holes"?

Edited by HerbalEd

Agreed. I'm an American living abroad and I've never been boorish, ethnocentric or acted like I ruled the world. I've met plenty of arrogant Brits, Europeans, Russians, etc. so it's more human nature and not just one country.

Perhaps you don't act that way,...nor do I,...but many Americans come here and disrespect the culture,...I see it everyday. I often feel ashamed about being an American,...and do what I can to show that some Americans, or other farang, are not here to trash the place through their disrespect or elitism. My biggest worry is that the Northern Thai will bend to the influences of foreigners.

I visited Taiwan for a week, earlier this month. What a contrast to Thai people. In one week I only saw three people smile. During that week I walked no less than 100km,...from Taoyuan to Taipei 101, to the Palace Museum. I'd hate to see the Thai lose their smile.

Not sure what you mean by "disrespect the culture." While many Americans can be a bit brash and loud at times, I never see them breaking in line, or spitting on the floor, or stealing the silverware.

Yes, some (esp. kids) can act like a__holes when they get drunk, but the Germans, English, Dutch, Aussies, etc., etc., etc. do the same thing. I hate drunks.

Edited by HerbalEd

I hate to see stereotypes of people and I have worked in China and have met many very good people there. I still stay in contact with some. I was rather surprised a few weeks ago though when I was having a quiet Mexican lunch at a popular CM venue when about eight Chinese tourists came in carrying bags of food from outside. They ordered a few items off the menu and left quite a mess behind them. I asked the waitress what she thought and she just rolled her eyes and said she hates it when the Chinese come in the door as it is always a problem. It seems the traveling Chinese are making a reputation for themselves here.

Many tourists from other countries, start to behave like the Chinese... they do not respect the local culture, regulations, ie, they ignore the one-way streets, the no-enter signs, they cut in front of the other cars, they walk on the streets like khuai in the field, they throw trash on the roads, they spit, they bring their arrogance even into the public paces like Fitness Centers, Shoppings, etc... I am fed up !

I have stopped patronizing two Bangkok hotels simply because they have begun catering to the Chinese tour groups. When the Chinese overrun the hotels, there's yelling in the corridors all night long, cattle-like behavior at the breakfast buffet, and smoking everywhere. It turns a short weekend vacation into an endurance test for me. Forget it.

Additionally, many Chinese tourists have the same attitudes that many Japanese tourists (particularly businessmen) have had in the past: going on vacation/holiday abroad is the time to "let your hair down," thus acting even worse than one might get away with in your home country. "I'll probably only visit here once, and besides, no one will remember me in particular!" is the rationale.

Leaves worse than a bad taste for the locals and other tourists who have to put up with it. My condolences to Chiang Mai. ermm.gif

• Like 2

Last year some time, my boy and I were at a natural hot spring in Chiang Rai. We were minding our own business, sitting at the edge of a pool, danging our feet in the hot water when a Chinese group, a family I think, started to walk over. As they got closer, I could remember thinking, god how loud are they? And, there goes the nice, peaceful afternoon we are having.

Anyway, we stayed as we were and they plonked themselves down next to us also putting their feet in the pool. The noise increased and then the son, about 4 or 5, pulled his shorts down and started to piss in the pool where we (and the Chinese) were dangling our feet. Straight away I pulled my feet out, telling my son to get his out too whilst giving the (assumed) mother a filthy stare. Needless to say, she didn't even glance my way as if it was perfectly normal behaviour.

The Chinese must learn to respect Thai culture!

Thai culture demands that only Thais have the right to cut-in-line, be noisy, behave like &lt;deleted&gt;, litter everywhere and drive like maniacs. Gosh.. how hard can it be to just follow the rules? Before you get a Thai citizenship you simply can't do the mentioned things!

• Like 2

There are a couple of articles in Chiang Mai News about this poll, but really not much more information than a very brief summary of the results and nothing about whether the poll is valid or not.

My personal encounters have been pleasant, but I have been very careful driving since tourists on bikes and motorbikes can be careless. As tourists, they tend to be looking at the sites rather than after themselves. At the same time, I have seen a fair number of bandaged farang in hospital. No Chinese yet although I imagine there must have been some this season.

The poll summary here - Chiang Mai City News

Have to say they are a danger to themselves and locals. See them regularly either walking or biking around CMU oblivious to their surroundings. They stand out though, nearly all wearing cloth sunhats and/or umbrellas, so I know when driving near them to be extra cautious. Have to admit there were two ladies in sun dresses a few days ago that took too much of my attention driving. biggrin.png

//edit - I don't know if they do this yet or not but perhaps hand out placards/cards on the plane in Chinese & English spelling out the do's and don'ts while in Thailand.

Read the book "Pigs on the Loose" written by a Chinese......

Same experience at the golf club the other day.

Very nice locker room with about 20 shower cubicles and a dozen wash basins. Like a 5 star hotel standard. About 8 large baskets for the fluffy white towels provided, and occasionally one is just left on a bench. Lots of nationalities play but very few chinese.

Went in to shower after golf the other day and it was like a war zone. Towels all over the floor, dirty tissues, a wash basin clogged with leaves where I guess someone had washed their shoes.

I asked the attendant what had happened- he said we had 12 chinese golfers. When I pointed out there would be many more next year he just held his head in his hands. From the posts above I guess I was lucky they didnt confuse the shower cubicles with the lavatories.

Surely they dont live like that in their own homes?? Weird

Here is more info on the poll:

A poll by Chiang Mai University in Thailand has showed that local people do not welcome the increasing number of Chinese tourists, reports the state-run China News Service (CNS).

CNS cited a poll published on Feb. 17 which claimed that 80% of those surveyed said that they dislike Chinese visitors because they do not respect local culture and leave a mess.

Visitors from China were criticized for talking too loudly in public, cutting in line, smoking, spitting and litter in the streets. Some 70% said peace and quiet are immediately destroyed whenever a Chinese visitor enters the house; 53% complained that the local government does nothing to address poor behavior on the part of tourists, and 30% said public order in Chiang Mai has been jeopardized because of the increasing number of Chinese tourists.

CNS reported that Chiang Mai University has begun to ask visitors to show their photo ID or passport on entering its campus after a group of Chinese visitors spent a night camping on the grounds, during which they painted on the ground without permission.

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20140224000074&cid=1103

the Chinese tourists spent more than one night camping by the lake at CMU. they also sprayed graffiti.

furthermore Khum Phaya and Khum Kantoke have been extremely disappointed with Chinese tourists who have defecated in the hallways and grounds of the this beautiful establishment presumably during the night.

I wonder how the feces were processed to determine the nationality of origin? If the person making the deposit was observed and identified by ID or passport, then that would be a different story. I don't have all the facts or an inside on information, so just wondering at this point.

I must say again that I am completely baffled by Chiang mai residents complaining about their"peace and quiet" being shattered by Chinese visitors--DUHHH--WHAT FLIPPIN PEACE AND QUIET-Chiang mai has DOGS YAPPING_BARKING_FIGHTING_HOWLING all flippin day and night but nobody seems to hear that HELLISH noise.Sorry folks-no sympathy for your silly complaints since you have are completely deaf and indifferent to our complaints as well.As is said-people who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones at others-or clean up your own house before your crticize the houses of others.Bah Humbug!!cLEAN UP ALL THE DOG STOOL from these filthy animals who are unflinchingly tolerated by many of the same foolish complainants here.

• Like 1

I have a good friend that's Hong Kong Chinese and he despises the mainlanders for the being discussed reasons. He calls them Locusts(very derogatory term in HK).

I remember visiting Thailand for the first time years ago, there was always literature around in tour agencies, on the planes and hotels on how to behave when visiting Thailand. Tour guides would always tell you to be polite, take off shoes, the Wai, etc. Looks like the Chinese tourists are not getting the memo.

They got the memo. They just don't care.

Agreed. I'm an American living abroad and I've never been boorish, ethnocentric or acted like I ruled the world. I've met plenty of arrogant Brits, Europeans, Russians, etc. so it's more human nature and not just one country.

Perhaps you don't act that way,...nor do I,...but many Americans come here and disrespect the culture,...I see it everyday. I often feel ashamed about being an American,...and do what I can to show that some Americans, or other farang, are not here to trash the place through their disrespect or elitism. My biggest worry is that the Northern Thai will bend to the influences of foreigners.

I visited Taiwan for a week, earlier this month. What a contrast to Thai people. In one week I only saw three people smile. During that week I walked no less than 100km,...from Taoyuan to Taipei 101, to the Palace Museum. I'd hate to see the Thai lose their smile.

Not sure what you mean by "disrespect the culture." While many Americans can be a bit brash and loud at times, I never see them breaking in line, or spitting on the floor, or stealing the silverware.

Yes, some (esp. kids) can act like a__holes when they get drunk, but the Germans, English, Dutch, Aussies, etc., etc., etc. do the same thing. I hate drunks.

I'm American and I cut in line all the time. Learned that from the Thais.

I've been to Taiwan and China too and I know exactly what you're saying. But truth be told when you make an attempt to look those Taiwanese and Chinese in their eyes and give them a genuine smile they will smile. I made this my personal challenge that every Chinese that I made eye contact with I would see if they would smile if I smiled first and it was genuine. In all instances that I encountered I always was returned a smile. I was pleasantly surprised with this. It's not like Thai people having a smile on their face most regularly but it does show that the Chinese in Taiwan and Mainland China can feel something; whatever it is that we feel when one smiles, but of course it must be genuine. :)

• Like 1

I have stopped patronizing two Bangkok hotels simply because they have begun catering to the Chinese tour groups. When the Chinese overrun the hotels, there's yelling in the corridors all night long, cattle-like behavior at the breakfast buffet, and smoking everywhere. It turns a short weekend vacation into an endurance test for me. Forget it.

Additionally, many Chinese tourists have the same attitudes that many Japanese tourists (particularly businessmen) have had in the past: going on vacation/holiday abroad is the time to "let your hair down," thus acting even worse than one might get away with in your home country. "I'll probably only visit here once, and besides, no one will remember me in particular!" is the rationale.

Leaves worse than a bad taste for the locals and other tourists who have to put up with it. My condolences to Chiang Mai. ermm.gif

I hate to tell you (and everyone else) this, they are actually trying to behave better when they travel overseas. So you can imagine how they are at home.