Tourists shocked as Phuket beach water turns rancid again in Karon, this time black

webfact

Not a good advertisement for Phuket ... coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

Then if you look down the right hand side of this page you will see Ads for Phuket showing crystal clear waters, pristine white beaches and unspoilt fauna. Looks amazing but then I see the real Phuket in this article.

Im surprised when out and about that theres any wildlife left in many places, the amount of crap, plastic, septic waste and general rubbish combined with the Thais way of going out and killing every living thing to eat possible = almost nothing left.

The numerous staff I have had working on the land all arrive with a catapult and make mud balls to kill anything they can, rat ,frog, any bird, squirell etc etc the problem is many of them round here ( rural area ) all do the same, the effect overall must be decimating the local populations of wildlife.

Hey but we mustnt kill the dogs eh!!!!

• Like 1

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a good reason why septic tanks aren't used in resort areas? In downtown I can understand, because there would be no septic field for the run-off.

They usually have septic tanks, but over time they become full and/or less efficient as the sludge creates some kind of membrane in the tank. People of course empty their tanks once in a while, but they rarely repair or change them, as they are often under the building. So in order for their hotel or building not to flood, they simply make an overflow drain into the nearest sewer/klong, much like your average bathtub or sink.

Edited by monkeycountry

Some may not be aware...but dumping stuff in the ocean can sometimes backfire. I once has a bad case of diarrhea..(local food) and made an emergency offload while swimming uptide. To my amazement, there was not one portion of the beach that did not contain remnants. If one man can do that..think of what a whole community can do.

took a dump in the surf once and got whacked in the back of the head with a foot long floater. Bass Straight, from memory. No need to use a bumgun.

Is there a good reason why septic tanks aren't used in resort areas? In downtown I can understand, because there would be no septic field for the run-off.

They usually have septic tanks, but over time they become full and/or less efficient as the sludge creates some kind of membrane in the tank. People of course empty their tanks once in a while, but they rarely repair or change them, as they are often under the building. So in order for their hotel or building not to flood, they simply make an overflow drain into the nearest sewer/klong, much like your average bathtub or sink.

A lovely thought, innit. Maintenance is a curse word in Thailand.

To be fair, creeks are often blocked by sand at their mouth, and for a while the water grows increasingly putrid.

Eventually the dam breaks and the putrid water rushes out to sea.

But admittedly this is much worse if the creek is used as a sewer!

I'm sure it was not intended as an analogy.

Quite fitting, nonetheless.

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit."

Here in isaan I have a nature sea for me alone, with a half km in size

The water is clean, no dirt from the hotel inside!

No over strong chlorine like in most pools!

No street dealers here, selling you some stuff you not need!

And I also not must pay for the chair , I hear only the birds and the wind

Coconut trees around me, can drink free, yeah that's my talee with sweet water!post-114169-13933977231557_thumb.jpg

I honestly can't understand how Thailand manages to have as many tourists as it does. Surely return tourism must be a thing of the past?

I believe Thailand maintains tourism by slick advertising and resting on the laurels of its faded past as a tropical paradise. Those tourists that experience a less than stellar visit most likely will share their experiences via the Internet which has far reaching consequences.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Cheat a tourist, assault a tourist, contaminate a tourist and the reaction will most likely be negative.

"The Land of Smiles", sadly, is being slowly replaced by the "Land of Unfavorable Winds". Nearby countries, which have not yet succumbed to the greed, dishonestly and hostility that often accompanies increased tourism, will reap the harvest.

They are still showing the same promotional photos from 40 yrs ago to lure in tourists

Yes, I agree, and possibly photos that may be of another country? All the more reason for travelers to visit TVF and other blogs for more information. While there may be a question of impartiality from posters, at least there is a reasonable probability that the posts don't originate from TAT or another arm of the propaganda apparatus.

"Buyer beware and do your tourism homework before leaving home".

• Like 1

Actually in many cases they dont build them correctly anyway leaving the bottom of the blackwater tanks open to the ground.

Actually in many cases they dont build them correctly anyway leaving the bottom of the blackwater tanks open to the ground.

Regarding these excuses for septic tanks, its only a matter of time before all the happy chappies with their own wells containing ''the best water'' are going to find them contaminated from the accumulation of seeping wastewater that has inevitably found its way to their water source.

Quite likely already happening to some..

The Thai government has been ignoring its responsibility to both its citizens and the millions of tourists from around the world, for decades now. While billions of dollars need to be spent on waste management in places like Phuket, Samui, and Pattaya, instead they waste billions of dollars on ridiculously foolish programs like the rice pledging scheme. It is a travesty. It is an enormous scandal that gets little attention, except in the world press once in a while. An unbelievable level of incompetence, ineptitude, and recklessness is being displayed, and once in a while it comes home to roost. The water in Samui is so unhealthy I dare not ever venture in for a dip. Others do, and they end up either sick, or with bizarre infections. You can only dump so much poo poo into the sea, before it leads to massive problems. Wake up Thailand! Handle your responsibilities. Man up. Grow up. Behave correctly. Do the right thing.

Sorry, but waste management on Phuket is the responsibility of the local government. The enforcement of the laws is a local matter as it is the municipality that must inspect and bring the charges. Guess which party has dominated the Phuket political scene for the past decades? This has nothing to do with the rice subsidies. Rather it is the refusal of the local government(s) to enforce building codes, to control illegal developments and to do anything. Guess who some of the largest landowners and developers are? Here's a hint, none of them are affiliated with the PTP in any way whatsoever.

• Like 2

Yes, but my guess is that the billions required for serious waste management facilities would come from the central govt., correct? So, that is where the rice subsidies play a destructive role on the development of the country. Or lack thereof. Someone is dropping the ball in a severe manner. Someone needs to get arrested and jailed. I realize that will not happen, as Thailand does not have a fighting bone in its body, when it comes to corruption.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, but my guess is that the billions required for serious waste management facilities would come from the central govt., correct? So, that is where the rice subsidies play a destructive role on the development of the country. Or lack thereof. Someone is dropping the ball in a severe manner. Someone needs to get arrested and jailed. I realize that will not happen, as Thailand does not have a fighting bone in its body, when it comes to corruption.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

With all due respect and I do appreciate the political sensitivities during this period of turmoil, but Phuket is the hub of corruption in Thailand. The epicentre is Patong. The rice subsidy fiasco started approximately 2 years ago, right? Well, when I was living in Patong there was a problem with effluent. After a heavy rain, tourists were literally frolicking in the water amongst frothing feces. Phuket has had a problem with potable water for how many years? How about a reliable electrical supply? Developments have gone up without any concern for planning. It is the responsibility for the local government to approve these developments and to ensure that they have waste water facilities, right? When is the last time you have seen any local official enforce the most basic of laws in respect to pollution? The island can't even enforce the fire code or keep the slow lorus touts off Bangla can they? The local government is rotten to the core . How's that local clean up of the transport cartel coming? I do not believe this is an issue with the use of the money for rice farming subsidies. Rather, it is an illustration of the abject selfishness of Phuket's local ruling oligarchy. They care only about their own self interest and they will destroy Phuket to amass more wealth.

• Like 1

Septic tanks these days are plastic, not at all expensive.

Relatively cheap to install. If you have a large yard, yes, you use a leaching field to dispose of liquids.

If no field, you collect liquids and must pay to dispose of liquids. (much more expensive but easy to setup)

Simple Gov't commitment can prevent all of this quickly.

Law that says, if you do not convert to septic tanks, you pay a fine that is equal to 2x the cost to make the conversion.

Then, your business must be certified as on septic and/or city septic within 1 year, or you are fined 2x the cost for conversion.

3x the cost for illegal dumping.

Relatively cheap to install. If you have a large yard, yes, you use a leaching field to dispose of liquids.

If no field, you collect liquids and must pay to dispose of liquids. (much more expensive but easy to setup)

Law that says, if you do not convert to septic tanks, you pay a fine that is equal to 2x the cost to make the conversion.

Then, your business must be certified as on septic and/or city septic within 1 year, or you are fined 2x the cost for conversion.

Where does this info come from? Here in LOS?...

You do not need to use a leach field for the run-off. All my small hotels are built on small areas of land where we cannot install horizontal leach fields. So we use 'vertical dry wells', which are about 3 metres in depth and allow the greywater to leach into the soil. Google 'dry wells' - it is a proven solution where space is at a premium.

I have used these successfully for more than 10 years.

Now I'm going to have a rant! I will also mention my businesses, but Mods - this is not for self-promotion...

I echo the comments from Geriatrickid. When I built my first little hotel right by the airport, I was amazed at the lack of local government investment in supporting infrastructure. No electricity supply, no city water supply, no waste system, no telephone lines.

I had to provide this all myself ==> install expensive electricity transformer, dig well, install septic tanks and dry wells, install 2km of telephone line from the nearest internet 'node' (actually the airport control tower).

12 years on, and I'm still building small hotels in that location. And still there is no city water supply, no waste system, only 'weak' electricitry supply with regular power cuts etc. This is minutes from a busy international airport.

And like Geriatrickid, I see a correlation between lack of investment, rampant corruption etc and the 'colour' of the local government. Take a look at Samui, Pattaya etc. All complete sh*te and all ruled by the same 'colour'.

II went down to my local beach - Nai Yang beach, which is gradually disappearing under illegally-built hotels, restaurants and guesthouses etc. There are many tourists who visit the beach from nearby 'legal' hotels, which are located several hundred metres away. Yet the local government has not even installed street lights or a pavement on that road. I see tourists with young children and prams walking along the dark road at night, whilst cars and motorbikes roar past them.

I could very happily round up all of the local government and those responsible for this mess and shoot them!! One could almost cry at the mess that Phuket has become.

When I built my last 2 hotels, locals were amazed that I built them in the middle of a peaceful rubber plantation by the airport, not within walking distance of either the beach nor shops, nor likely to have walk-in guests. 'You will never have customers' they said. Yet those hotels are fully booked every night, whilst my 'competion' down on the beach and on the shopping airport road struggle for customers. The reason? I care about my customers whilst most of the competitors just see their guests as a source of money.

Guests often ask me 'Why don't the local people speak English? Phuket has been a foreign tourist destination for decades'.

It's a good question.

'Why do Thai people shout at us and push us around?' That is a common question from foreigners who have used the minibus services from Samui/Donsak or Rassada port.

It is because these Thais really don't give a flying <deleted> about customer service - all they see is $$$$$ and they seem to have completely forgotten who is paying their wages.

I remain in Phuket only because my businesses have a good source of customers, which cannot be repeated elsewhere (Chiang Rai Airport Hotel???). But I absolutely detest what I see and what I hear every day when I drive in the local area and when I talk with my guests.

I need to stop ranting - I'll burst a blood vessel!!

Simon

Edited by simon43
  • Like 2

Most buildings here with septic tanks do not have soak wells or leach drains, the street drainage

system is used to get rid of the grey water

When developing land in any country the infrastucture required is the responsability of the developer

and they have to pay for it, not the govt

Buildings are not inspected by govt building inspectors here when being constructed and the people

building know this and do not build to the approved plans but cut costs where ever they can because

they know no one will inspect the building or intrastucture to make sure its done to govt standards

the street drainage system is used to get rid of the grey water

Well that is my point. There is no street drainage system.....

Not in your area its rural land, in Chalong and rawai there is where the land has been properly developed

Also patong, kata and Karon among other areas, but people building on the cheap in these areas do

not install any type of septic/sewerage system, just run pipes straight into the street drains to dispose

of the raw sewerage, i know of people and buildings that do this

Why do you think the street drains smell like shit after a dry period with not rain to flush them out

drand11..i am curious to know if these facts you posted are Phuket or even Thailand regulations....i can't immagine that they are, but its a possibility....but seeing as you posted this, would you just satisfy the curiosity and reply please..wai2.gif

drand11..i am curious to know if these facts you posted are Phuket or even Thailand regulations....i can't immagine that they are, but its a possibility....but seeing as you posted this, would you just satisfy the curiosity and reply please..wai2.gif

Bizarre..the poster is online but not responding..

I am in the process of building and thought i could save hassles later by complying with septic etc laws as is quoted above..are they relevant to LOS or not? Anyone?

You do not need to use a leach field for the run-off. All my small hotels are built on small areas of land where we cannot install horizontal leach fields. So we use 'vertical dry wells', which are about 3 metres in depth and allow the greywater to leach into the soil. Google 'dry wells' - it is a proven solution where space is at a premium.

I have used these successfully for more than 10 years.

Now I'm going to have a rant! I will also mention my businesses, but Mods - this is not for self-promotion...

I echo the comments from Geriatrickid. When I built my first little hotel right by the airport, I was amazed at the lack of local government investment in supporting infrastructure. No electricity supply, no city water supply, no waste system, no telephone lines.

I had to provide this all myself ==> install expensive electricity transformer, dig well, install septic tanks and dry wells, install 2km of telephone line from the nearest internet 'node' (actually the airport control tower).

12 years on, and I'm still building small hotels in that location. And still there is no city water supply, no waste system, only 'weak' electricitry supply with regular power cuts etc. This is minutes from a busy international airport.

And like Geriatrickid, I see a correlation between lack of investment, rampant corruption etc and the 'colour' of the local government. Take a look at Samui, Pattaya etc. All complete sh*te and all ruled by the same 'colour'.

II went down to my local beach - Nai Yang beach, which is gradually disappearing under illegally-built hotels, restaurants and guesthouses etc. There are many tourists who visit the beach from nearby 'legal' hotels, which are located several hundred metres away. Yet the local government has not even installed street lights or a pavement on that road. I see tourists with young children and prams walking along the dark road at night, whilst cars and motorbikes roar past them.

I could very happily round up all of the local government and those responsible for this mess and shoot them!! One could almost cry at the mess that Phuket has become.

When I built my last 2 hotels, locals were amazed that I built them in the middle of a peaceful rubber plantation by the airport, not within walking distance of either the beach nor shops, nor likely to have walk-in guests. 'You will never have customers' they said. Yet those hotels are fully booked every night, whilst my 'competion' down on the beach and on the shopping airport road struggle for customers. The reason? I care about my customers whilst most of the competitors just see their guests as a source of money.

Guests often ask me 'Why don't the local people speak English? Phuket has been a foreign tourist destination for decades'.

It's a good question.

'Why do Thai people shout at us and push us around?' That is a common question from foreigners who have used the minibus services from Samui/Donsak or Rassada port.

It is because these Thais really don't give a flying <deleted> about customer service - all they see is $$$$$ and they seem to have completely forgotten who is paying their wages.

I remain in Phuket only because my businesses have a good source of customers, which cannot be repeated elsewhere (Chiang Rai Airport Hotel???). But I absolutely detest what I see and what I hear every day when I drive in the local area and when I talk with my guests.

I need to stop ranting - I'll burst a blood vessel!!

Simon

Good Posting ''Simon'' and interesting reading... yes, best stop the ranting, but i do hear you 100 percent and agree with you too..

all the best

Cheers

Robert