World Cup In Sukhumvit Bars

BattyBatty

I have just found out through the 'World Cup on TV' thread that UBC is not showing games with English commentry. Gutted, to say the least. Surely though, at least one of the English themed pubs around soi 33 area will be showing the games with proper commentry? UBC is not the be all and end all, is it? For example, I know a paddy bar in Ko Samui that shows Gaelic football live.... and that doesnt come with UBC - I allways thought some of these larger pubs had some kind of satalite set up that shows pretty much everything?

So my question is, given the fact that this is the biggest sporting event in 4 years.... Surely bars like the Bulls Head/Londener etc will beam in English commentry? My second question is, will bars such as these be open to a lock in for the 2am games or not? Or is that a question of not what you know, but who you know...?

The thought of watching a 2am game with Thai commentry in Nana hotel pains me, to say the least. Can anyone say what the options are?

I have just found out through the 'World Cup on TV' thread that UBC is not showing games with English commentry. Gutted, to say the least. Surely though, at least one of the English themed pubs around soi 33 area will be showing the games with proper commentry? UBC is not the be all and end all, is it? For example, I know a paddy bar in Ko Samui that shows Gaelic football live.... and that doesnt come with UBC - I allways thought some of these larger pubs had some kind of satalite set up that shows pretty much everything?

So my question is, given the fact that this is the biggest sporting event in 4 years.... Surely bars like the Bulls Head/Londener etc will beam in English commentry? My second question is, will bars such as these be open to a lock in for the 2am games or not? Or is that a question of not what you know, but who you know...?

The thought of watching a 2am game with Thai commentry in Nana hotel pains me, to say the least. Can anyone say what the options are?

Have a wander around and have a look to see where the bars get there sports coverage. I was in both Gullivers and Bullys on Friday and both appear to have UBC. The Londoner has satellite, so should be good, as do a few of the bars, including The Office, on Soi 33. Not sure about The Bull's Head. The Irish Exchange also shows Supersport from South Africa. One thing: get there early for the big games (or any England games) as they will be packed.

In Phuket and Pattaya, the popular cable networks have Supersport 3, the main football channel in South Africa, so it should be easy to find English commentary.

So, not the end of the world then....Based on the above, i feel a little more optomistic and would bet that the more well known bars show it with English commentry. I dont know the Barbican to be honest, but would guess if this bar can do it, the bigger bars will move mountains to follow suit.

Streaming audio would not work, i think. BBC are broadcasting live, but only in the U.K via the net. Talk Sport (www.talksport.com) have rights to all games and i believe as a one off are broadcasting overseas (usualy blocked overseas).... 7 second delay though, bugger that.

This question has already been asked on a couple of other threads....Supersport the SA Sports network is showing every game live and a number of pubs in Bkk have access to these channels including Irish Xchange, Dubliner and Gullivers (I'm sure there are many more) so English commentary for the early kick offs should not be a problem. For the later kick offs one of the posters mentioned it already....it probably depends on who you know and what mood they're in...could be better once we get closer to the end of June!! :D:o

Have a wander around and have a look to see where the bars get there sports coverage. I was in both Gullivers and Bullys on Friday and both appear to have UBC. The Londoner has satellite, so should be good, as do a few of the bars, including The Office, on Soi 33. Not sure about The Bull's Head. The Irish Exchange also shows Supersport from South Africa. One thing: get there early for the big games (or any England games) as they will be packed.

In Phuket and Pattaya, the popular cable networks have Supersport 3, the main football channel in South Africa, so it should be easy to find English commentary.

can you name those networks ? SOPHON, most probably ? and who else ?

I think some bars are planning on staying open, perhaps with the provision that they not sell alcohol after 02:00? I know some bars have already begun laying in additional displays (screens, projection TV, etc.) and that informal negotiations are underway with the local authorities.