Yupparaj Wittayalai School

rishi

I'm in the process of considering whether or not to accept a teaching position at Yupparaj Wittayalai School's EP-department and thought that it wouldn't harm to check out if anyone, reading this forum, knew something about it - or maybe even had some experience from teaching there.

Is it a good place to work? Do they treat their teachers well? Are they dodgy? To they keep the withheld tax to themselves? Do they keep their part of the contract? Etc..

I'm in the process of considering whether or not to accept a teaching position at Yupparaj Wittayalai School's EP-department and thought that it wouldn't harm to check out if anyone, reading this forum, knew something about it - or maybe even had some experience from teaching there.

Is it a good place to work? Do they treat their teachers well? Are they dodgy? To they keep the withheld tax to themselves? Do they keep their part of the contract? Etc..

You might get more luck if this post is moved to the teaching section.

Yupaaraj is recognised as the best government school in Chiang Mai - the standard of students is better than average.

As they are a government school you shouldn't have any problem with them not paying tax, etc. However, because it's a government school then working conditions will not be as good as some of the bigger private schools. I wouldn't expect Air-con in the classroom, free access to the photocopier. That's not to say theat the EP department might not have these things.

I'm not 100% sure - but I think it is quite a hard school for students to get into - there is a a tough entrance exam.

It's a very well established schools.. one of the oldest institutions in Chiang Mai. My wife was a student there somewhere during the last century. :o I hope one day my daughter will go there as well.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Thanks,

I take it, that this isn't the worst place to get once's first teaching position in Thailand. My own impression so far is also quite positive. I've been to an interview and performed in class for a 20 min presentation, today.

The classrooms do have aircon (that works) and I was handed an excellent textbook, which I believe fully covers one semester in math - complete with examples and exercises. Lots of computers around.

I had the chance talk a bit with a couple of other foreign teachers. The school seems to take good care of the legal paperworks, etc. and the school seems to have no problem in providing its teachers with (most) of those little things a teacher needs to perform his tasks (but one evidently had to bring his own whiteboard pens, though).

With those school uniforms they couldn't possibly compete with my wife. However, after two days the school haven't called back. I guess it didn't count in my favour making class and school loose face by me expecting 2 M students to have calculators. I know, stupid.