is it a good idea to buy a used BMW ?

maxlloyed

Buy from a BMW dealer, the used cars are usually in a great condition and don´t leave the dealer unchecked/serviced+ you have a full history of the car.

-Tax should be about 5500 per year if its a x25i, not much at all.

-1st class insurance depends from a lot of factours of course. Guess for such a car you could be around 30.000 per year

-I can´t comment a lot on part prices because I´ve always had the service package. So I never saw a bill for the service work. Mabye others have accurate figures regarding brakes, oil change and such stuff.

One time I could take short glimpse on a service bill from my dealer, it was oil change, brakes with pads and discs front and aft, I recall a sum of 70K Baht, but I cannot guarantee for that.

• Like 2

Buy from a BMW dealer, the used cars are usually in a great condition and don´t leave the dealer unchecked/serviced+ you have a full history of the car.

-1st class insurance depends from a lot of factours of course. Guess for such a car you could be around 30.000 per year

-I can´t comment a lot on part prices because I´ve always had the service package. So I never saw a bill for the service work. Mabye others have accurate figures regarding brakes, oil change and such stuff.

One time I could take short glimpse on a service bill from my dealer, it was oil change, brakes with pads and discs front and aft, I recall a sum of 70K Baht, but I cannot guarantee for that.

Thanx man .But how much money should i make a budget for all the expenses yearly ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Thanx man .But how much money should i make a budget for all the expenses yearly ?

120-150k per year

"it was oil change, brakes with pads and discs front and aft, I recall a sum of 70K Baht" That's Porsche money! For a common old BMW it should be around 12k from the dealership.

"it was oil change, brakes with pads and discs front and aft, I recall a sum of 70K Baht" That's Porsche money! For a common old BMW it should be around 12k from the dealership.

Exactly .120k yearly seems too much .60-70k its fine . Btw can u recommend me any good dealer

• Like 1

Well the 70K which I think I saw on the bill are not granted, maybe I´m wrong there, as I said, was just a short glimpse when I sat there to sign the paperwork. But 12K is impossible either, that would be cheap as hell?? But usually BMW parts aren´t cheaper in Thailand than in Germany? Whenever I ordered something it was more expensive than at home. When I check the prices for the parts for that inspection in Germany it would be:

2 discs front 280€

1 Set of brake pads front with sensors 170€

1 Set of brake pads aft with sensors 140€

2discs rear 206€

Inspection kit all filters 240€

Oil 100€

=1136€ just for the stuff needed, overpriced dealer crap of course. The same things could be bought for 50% from part dealers though. There is no reason to think that these BMW parts should be cheaper in Thailand? But other sources here should be able to offer better prices too.

But yes, 120K is too much, you won´t need a big serice every or tires every year. So if you would average the costs to a yearly figure:

So insurance: 30.000

Service work average per year: 35.000

Tax: 5.000

Tires: 10.000

=80.000 average per year. Your guess should be allright if everything goes well with the german rubbish tongue.png

If you are in Bangkok, don´t go to Millenium Rama 4, Rama 3 is good.

Edited by I knew this would happen
  • Like 1

I had that model from new. There is a known fault with the Air Conditioning. Mine took up to 2Kms to start blowing cold air when the car was first started. BMW admitted the fault but said that as it cooled the car within the time BMW said it should they wouldn't change the faulty part ... I understand that it was an expensive bit.

So when you go to test a car ensure that it hasn't been started and idled for a couple of minutes ... test the air con from a 'cold' start.

There is the possibility that the replacement by now has already been done. Look for the bill.

Well the 70K which I think I saw on the bill are not granted, maybe I´m wrong there, as I said, was just a short glimpse when I sat there to sign the paperwork. But 12K is impossible either, that would be cheap as hell?? But usually BMW parts aren´t cheaper in Thailand than in Germany? Whenever I ordered something it was more expensive than at home. When I check the prices for the parts for that inspection in Germany it would be:

2 discs front 280€

1 Set of brake pads front with sensors 170€

1 Set of brake pads aft with sensors 140€

2discs rear 206€

Inspection kit all filters 240€

Oil 100€

=1136€ just for the stuff needed, overpriced dealer crap of course. The same things could be bought for 50% from part dealers though. There is no reason to think that these BMW parts should be cheaper in Thailand? But other sources here should be able to offer better prices too.

But yes, 120K is too much, you won´t need a big serice every or tires every year. So if you would average the costs to a yearly figure:

So insurance: 30.000

Service work average per year: 35.000

Tax: 5.000

Tires: 10.000

=80.000 average per year. Your guess should be allright if everything goes well with the german rubbish tongue.png

If you are in Bangkok, don´t go to Millenium Rama 4, Rama 3 is good.

clap2.gif thanks man ,very helpful information .how about if i buy from any direct seller not any dealer ? i see many reasonable price in classified sites like taladrod and one2car , and is 80,000 mileage a lot for used bmw ?

I'd still budget 120k not every year but have that available just for the car.

Budget less for the ones with the toyota engine

Maybe that´s a good idea, have at least 100K per year available and if you don´t use it all up, just leave the rest for anything to come.

You don´t need to buy from a dealer, I only think you might be a little more on the safe side. But I would watch out that the car you are going to be was sold by BMW Thailand and therefore had

the service package. That means that the car got all the care it needed while it was with the previous owner for at least 5 years. And usually your car will have had any additional recall service actions made too.

80.000 miles or kilometer? If you mean miles I would look for a car with half the amount of miles. Diesel or gasoline version? The diesel might bring you more problems while getting older.

The 163hp diesel is know to have turbo problems and the 177hp and 184hp may have trouble with the timing chain. The 6 cylinder engines in the E60 are usually more reliable. The models until the facelift do have Idrive but no satnav, but there are some shops that can help out. https://www.facebook.com/DynavinShopThailandGermanDesignForGermanCars.

Edited by I knew this would happen
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

did OP make a purchase yet?

anyway I did today...the 320d '09...so far so good...1st class insurance quotes on the 40k++ range (do not hear of any deductibles option?). anyway got recommended the 2nd class (3+) which is quite uniformly quoted in 10k range :)

private purchase & BSI just expired last month so able to negotiate the price down quite a bit and the service history was done regularly on the 20k interval 4 times as the clock just passed 80k km...often on the service bills its shown amounts payable from few hundreds to 10k++ set of tyres bough from another shop total damage 50k (regular std tyres...flat driveable)!

no service expected till 100k i.e. years away, but tyres probably need after another 10k/1 year and perhaps the battery etc...no biggies hopefully as brake discs, pads etc, but will probably seek out an alternative bmw capable shop if something major :)

thus my budget estimate would go like ~50k range anually: tax 3k? ins. 10k? tyres 20k misc paint work/scrathes ~20k == 50k thumbsup.gifwai2.gif

bmw euro trash cars expensive? sure can be but if maintained well and driven well not necessary...but surely there is enjoyment in every km driven ... so far.

my considerations was initially to buy the new mazda cx-5 or M3, but luckily delivery was on waiting list and test drive showed no fun as expected although the cx5 2.5 did cruise quite smoothly, but stepping into a bmw is simply another world literally most notably on the steering/road contact/control...

I also trialled the audi tt which in some cases felt as new and modern in its ~2004 model as the bmw 2009 or even the mazda 2014!

next step: service centres (north bkk) and insurance advice/recommendations very welcome wai.gifthumbsup.gifclap2.gif

happy drivin jaja

p.s. dealers? OMG for sure its a jungle and lots of brushed up unfit cars out there at unrealistic prices who havent been moved for months/years.

major dealers such as millinium, carmax etc do NOT even offer test drives facepalm.gif

p.p.s. the bmw advantage is the BSI...makes 2nd hand a bit less of a jungle...it cant however remove the fiddling with km et all...even high milage cars may be a good deal, but they should be newer/reduced price. Personally I'd prefer an older model with less miles as its to be expected...high miles=high risk!

did OP make a purchase yet?

anyway I did today...the 320d '09...so far so good...1st class insurance quotes on the 40k++ range (do not hear of any deductibles option?). anyway got recommended the 2nd class (3+) which is quite uniformly quoted in 10k range smile.png

private purchase & BSI just expired last month so able to negotiate the price down quite a bit and the service history was done regularly on the 20k interval 4 times as the clock just passed 80k km...often on the service bills its shown amounts payable from few hundreds to 10k++ set of tyres bough from another shop total damage 50k (regular std tyres...flat driveable)!

no service expected till 100k i.e. years away, but tyres probably need after another 10k/1 year and perhaps the battery etc...no biggies hopefully as brake discs, pads etc, but will probably seek out an alternative bmw capable shop if something major smile.png

thus my budget estimate would go like ~50k range anually: tax 3k? ins. 10k? tyres 20k misc paint work/scrathes ~20k == 50k thumbsup.gifwai2.gif

bmw euro trash cars expensive? sure can be but if maintained well and driven well not necessary...but surely there is enjoyment in every km driven ... so far.

my considerations was initially to buy the new mazda cx-5 or M3, but luckily delivery was on waiting list and test drive showed no fun as expected although the cx5 2.5 did cruise quite smoothly, but stepping into a bmw is simply another world literally most notably on the steering/road contact/control...

I also trialled the audi tt which in some cases felt as new and modern in its ~2004 model as the bmw 2009 or even the mazda 2014!

next step: service centres (north bkk) and insurance advice/recommendations very welcome wai.gifthumbsup.gifclap2.gif

happy drivin jaja

p.s. dealers? OMG for sure its a jungle and lots of brushed up unfit cars out there at unrealistic prices who havent been moved for months/years.

major dealers such as millinium, carmax etc do NOT even offer test drives facepalm.gif

p.p.s. the bmw advantage is the BSI...makes 2nd hand a bit less of a jungle...it cant however remove the fiddling with km et all...even high milage cars may be a good deal, but they should be newer/reduced price. Personally I'd prefer an older model with less miles as its to be expected...high miles=high risk!

Did you buy my old car? License plate no 3200 hehe.. How much did u have to pay?

hehe nope not that one. 1m075.

tyres bought at cockpit. wonder if they are known for good balancing lol?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

1.075m? that sounds a like good deal! I had to re-balance my tires several time. Look for a shop that can do a "tuang ji" (ถ่วง-จี้), as a normal balance can only measures vibrations up to around 80 km/h.

right yes im quite happy with the deal although its just 1 month out of bsi. if steering dont improve or I dont get used to it ill definitely try a re balancing or eventual new tyres soon :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Back when the family garage was operating we had a few BMW owners who were regulars. From memory the cars ranged from 5 to 12 years old. My brother got into the habit of asking "Do you want genuine BMW parts?" The answer was usually no once the price was told!

Most Euro car owners are happy if the part does the same job at less than half the price.

*PS: I haven't owned a BMW.....yet!

Edited by BSJ

Every BMW I ever owned in the US (last one was a Z4) I had a Love Hate relationship with. I loved how the car handled, but stupid crap would break. Repair costs post warranty were high enough to fund a small third world country. So, what would I expect here in Thailand...my worst US experience multiplied by 10

Every BMW I ever owned in the US (last one was a Z4) I had a Love Hate relationship with. I loved how the car handled, but stupid crap would break. Repair costs post warranty were high enough to fund a small third world country . So, what would I expect here in Thailand...my worst US experience multiplied by 10

Were you trying run them on Gin?