Dukes at Maya

CMNightRider

Good to hear, I love Dukes, but I fear Maya isn't going to survive. With the exception of the movies and the study pit upstairs, that place is a ghost town. No one is in the stores or walking around with bags of things they bought. I hope it's not so, but it isn't looking good so far. Central Festival on the other hand is packed with people, many shopping.

I was told that Dukes was going in there. The person I spoke with said about 4 months to open. If it is going to be like the Promenada I believe it. The equipment coming from the states took a long time to get here and I am not sure how Customs is performing with all that is going on. I know I tried to order some pills from the states and they didn't seem to have a way to ship them. They used to have a deal with Customs and would ship them by mail.

I was there once and agree it is kind of a big empty building. The Rimping did not impress me with it's narrow aisles and the roof section was not open yet. I am looking forward to that. Also interested in a movie there.

From what I saw there I don't think they are going to hurt KSK that much. Time will tell.

Good to hear, I love Dukes, but I fear Maya isn't going to survive. With the exception of the movies and the study pit upstairs, that place is a ghost town. No one is in the stores or walking around with bags of things they bought. I hope it's not so, but it isn't looking good so far. Central Festival on the other hand is packed with people, many shopping.

as has been said before, the real shopping is done at Airport Central Plaza and Kad Suan Kaew. the Central Festival, Maya, etc. are for window shopping, browsing, sipping a cup of expensive espresso, and standing/sitting around looking cool or for people to photograph themselves with their mobiles with a name brand sign in the background to later be posted on facebook. when you go to the first 2 places mentioned you actually see people carrying many bags of items they purchased. at the other 2, they buy a couple of Mrs. Field cakes or a little trinket at a 'boutique' so they can be seen carrying the little bag around proudly displaying the logo/brand name.

• Like 2

KSK is still the choice of Real CM People.

In 2010, I visited a mall in Udon Thani. I thought that it seemed really run down and old fashioned. When I returned to Chiang Mai, I went to KSK for some reason and realized that it was even worse. I do wish that they would renovate it as I prefer the location to anywhere else.

Edited by Ulysses G.

re

The sign read opening soon.

and it still does :)

i had my first wander around maya today and i was impressed

the roof is still closed off but i found a bargain 59 baht breakfast

at the rimping cafe in the basement which was very good

enjoy my first pics of maya .... dave2

ps ... the eggs were a little bit raw for me so i asked the little lovely if they could turn them over

yes she said ... no problem ... and two minits later they came back perfect :)

post-42592-0-98389000-1393507185_thumb.j

post-42592-0-09123600-1393507225_thumb.j

post-42592-0-01345000-1393507265_thumb.j

post-42592-0-80535200-1393507297_thumb.j

post-42592-0-95555600-1393507354_thumb.j

• Like 1

re

and it still does smile.png

ps ... the eggs were a little bit raw for me so i asked the little lovely if they could turn them over

yes she said ... no problem ... and two minits later they came back perfect smile.png

Seems the 59 baht breakfast is a feature of the new Rimping stores, same at the new Mae Hia branch.Found the coffee awful but I guess you get what you pay for.

Other meals quite reasonable.

Dave, I'm gonna do a Harry and Sally - next time your there, see if you can swap the cruddy sausage for extra bacon, swap the white bread for brown. And are there alternative styles of eggs - scrambles, poaced.. Then you'll have a pic to post. I'd pay extra for it. If not I'll stick to the lunch time cheese bar. Better value.

Dave, I'm gonna do a Harry and Sally - next time your there, see if you can swap the cruddy sausage for extra bacon, swap the white bread for brown. And are there alternative styles of eggs - scrambles, poaced.. Then you'll have a pic to post. I'd pay extra for it. If not I'll stick to the lunch time cheese bar. Better value.

Very, very funny, if you know the movie! And this movie, if you have never seen it, is really famous for Sally's "orgasm" scene. Hilarious!

Anyway, that faked orgasm is nothing compared to the panting passionate pulmonary pulsations about malls reflected on this forum! biggrin.png

Very, very funny, if you know the movie! And this movie, if you have never seen it, is really famous for Sally's "orgasm" scene. Hilarious!

Anyway, that faked orgasm is nothing compared to the panting passionate pulmonary pulsations about malls reflected on this forum! biggrin.png

But here everyone is used to the mock panting and moaning that they would not even bother to say..."Can I have what she is having."

re

see if you can swap the cruddy sausage for extra bacon, swap the white bread for brown. And are there alternative styles of eggs - scrambles, poaced.. Then you'll have a pic to post. I'd pay extra for it.

ok .... off you go :)

rimping offered a pic of a breakfast and delivered exactly that !

if you want different see pic and pay four tines the 59 baht :(

re .. Found the coffee awful but I guess you get what you pay for

i thought the girl offered me coffee or tea with my breakfast but what turned up was co co which ive not had for years but it was quite nice !

dave2

ps ... the co co got me thinking , has anyone ever seen bornvita here ?

post-42592-0-24614300-1393551823_thumb.j

• Like 1

I think the traffic situation is mostly to blame.. And it's not just keeping me out of Maya so far, but actually well away from that whole area.

they buy a couple of Mrs. Field cakes

Which one has Mrs, Fields? I miss those chocolate chip cookies. I remember when you used to have to stand in long lines to get them in California.

Central Festival. Not eaten there myself, but guess I should do.

Yep, agree on the traffic. For 4 years we drove over to that section of town while our daughter was in university and traffic just got worse and worse. Living on the south side of town having a Wing 41 sticker helps or if you want to come in from the back side you could come in on Canal Road but you still have to get out of there. I guess you could just take the Super Highway out and make a complete circuit of Chiang Mai. It might be a quite a while before we check out Maya.

BTW how do you pronounce Maya? In the promo video they say mae-yuh, but I hear most Thais saying mai-yuh, same as most English speakers.

Grin

Asking for replacements on the Rimping breakfast special will lead to a lot of head-scratching and waffling by the staff. Not recommended. I've seen it tried by a table of stuffy expats at Mae Hia.

My wife went once and told me she could do the same thing for less than half the price. Now we have the special at home each morning, and I get proper coffee, wheat toast, and bacon.

re

and it still does smile.png

yes she said ... no problem ... and two minits later they came back perfect smile.png

Seems the 59 baht breakfast is a feature of the new Rimping stores, same at the new Mae Hia branch.Found the coffee awful but I guess you get what you pay for.

Other meals quite reasonable.

Tea is fine! Been twice to the Mae Hia branch for the breakfast, good value and they open at 6am!

Asking for replacements on the Rimping breakfast special will lead to a lot of head-scratching and waffling by the staff. Not recommended. I've seen it tried by a table of stuffy expats at Mae Hia.

My wife went once and told me she could do the same thing for less than half the price. Now we have the special at home each morning, and I get proper coffee, wheat toast, and bacon.

Eating the special breakfast each morning could lead to you needing to visit the "I am too fat" forum.

Eating the special breakfast each morning could lead to you needing to visit the "I am too fat" forum.

"i am to fat forum" cheesy.gif

This is your typical 'Thai American Breakfast' attempt which is 3rd rate at best. processed ham and a shyt hot dog.

No thanks..whistling.gif

You need to go to the Pun Pun..http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/578161-best-breakfast-in-cm/

ChickenFriedSuperman.jpg

Edited by khwaibah

I think the traffic situation is mostly to blame.. And it's not just keeping me out of Maya so far, but actually well away from that whole area.

If you are on a motorbike the Maya lower parking is a dream!... Unlike the motorbike parking situation at Central Festival which I refuse to partake in anymore...

• Like 1