C RAI source of grass seed please

Looking for sufficient to cover an area 170m square metrres or 11x 17 yards.

The climate is N C Rai at 532 metre altitude with temp rnge Min 8 degrees this January and max around 34 soon.

I'd appreciate any advise.Have about 8 inch tilth ofr 20cm deep of good new top soild from Rice paddys and 2 lorries of sand.

Thank you in anticipation,goat curry forecast once mown.

Try your local DLD office,Department of Livestock Development Goom -Pas-soo-sat, in Thai all provences have one, they sell grass seed ,for cattle or if they is a dairy co-op near you ask them .

If it it for goats try a tree legume leucaena leulocephaca 'Gratin' in Thai,it dose grow wild in LOS Google it, your DLD office should sell some seed , or as i did collect it yourself from the road sides altitude and temp should not be a problem, again ask DLD office .

Yours Regs

KS

Thanks to you both

Namdocmai where did you find thes tins

Tel No or adress in C Rai is what I'm looking for

This 500 baht tin what level of coverage please

In a gardening shop at Kanchana Phisek road in BKK.

They don't speak english there and i can't read thai. This is the only shop that has grass seeds. If the Thai would use housenumbers i could tell you the number of the shop but unfortunately they don't use that.

Thanks to you both

They don't speak english there and i can't read thai. This is the only shop that has grass seeds. If the Thai would use housenumbers i could tell you the number of the shop but unfortunately they don't use that.

Appreciated however over 1000km from me if I had the contact I could by by post.I've looked online but didn't see sellers in Thailand

Thanks to you both

Appreciated however over 1000km from me if I had the contact I could by by post.I've looked online but didn't see sellers in Thailand

You won't find sellers i guess, Thai all use grass sods. Seeds are hard to find. Maybe it is easyier to order from internet, than you can choose your grass.

Grass seed is not hard to find, as I said, your find local your DLD office, google DLD ,or.Thai, it will come up .

Or your could try Napiar grass,,grows like sugar cain,plant the stems , a high yielding grass look at a FAO web site on it , it,if you can find the cuting in your area ,only need a small area of napiar for a few goats. it would be ''Yar Napiar'' in Thai.

For grass seed contact Dr Michael Hare @Ubon Forage Seed , Ubon Ratchathani University . also look at TV grass seed thread, he has wrote some very good posting 's about grass seed. he wiil send grass seed to you by post.

I would wold say you would need no more than 1 kg of seed,last year I used about 2.5 kg of grass seed,from Ubon , per rai,look at ubon paspalum atratum grass seed .

NDM

Thai's do not use ''grass sods'' , not now, nealy all grass seed ,or Napiar grass,

Your grass seed in a ''can '' I would expect the germination rate to be about nill,grass seed to be viable do's not have a long self life, is there a use by date on the can?,500 bart that is expencive, Ubon sells it at about 300 bart a kg depending on varietie and it will grow.

Yours Regs

KS

Ok thank you everyone ,time to hunt.

Any advice on technique

We have about 15-20cm of good new rice paddy top soil

We will use 2 small tipper lorries of sand

It is dry now pre rainy season,should we plant now or at the start of the rains please?

Wait for some rain when ,maybe about May time the land will need some form of working ,ask a local farmer to plough the land ,I do not know what the land is like, if it is sandy + the sand you put on a tractor and a 7 disc plough '' Pan -jet'' in Thai , would do the job ,should not cost you more than 500 bart.

Then you will have to drill the seed problem most Thai drills are for maize ,a big seed ,the plates in the drills are interchangeable ,find some plates with small holes in the plates for small seeds, then row spacing's, to wide for grass seed ,drill normally, then get the guy to drill down the middle of the rows, will give you a narrow row width .weeds will not invade ,and choke the emerging seeds. Guy near me has a drill for drilling peanuts that would do the job ,again I wish you luck in trying to find one

Or do what we did, my misses, broadcast the seed by hand, then I harrowed in the seed , but you have got to find a harrow ,or the Thai way ,a small tractor and tow a tyre over the land this is not so good but it will do OK ,but need some rain soon after, birds will eat the seed esp pidgin's.

could put on some 20-10-10 fert on afterwards.

Yours Regs

KS

Well i don't need the grass anymore and if i want it i would order from internet. I'm tired of Thai "university's", their level of professionalism is not the same as in Europe where we have real experts.

Order grass seed on the net for Thailand ,could do but I would still go to Ubon ,if you look before you post ,Ubon University ,is a base he grows his grass seed all over Isan ,seed is grown by Thai farmers, and in Laos , my seed grows well no problem.

Your European ''experts'' ,may be good on farming in Europe ,but can they apply they expertise to farming in tropical climates?, a completely different ball game ,in my field I have read some very good papers on dairy farming in Thailand written ,by Thai's.

Look at some papers written by HM King, and some of his projects ,they have helped a lot of subsistence farmers improve there lives, all done in Thailand by Thai's.

It is a two way learning curve they learn from west ,and we can still learn a lot from them.

PS , Learn some Thai you will get on a lot better in the LOS,

KS