Phuket boatmen block access to famed beach

webfact

Greed, fear and illegal thuggery.

Phuket has been descending for some time. IF the police do nothing about this, the Island is in deep trouble!

What a shame for everybody else.

Capitalism at its shiny best, infecting the insects.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what happens when people are uneducated, they are very insecure about their income because they have no idea how else to make living. So forcing tourists to use their services is the best way to make money they can think of. Similar situation with Phuket taxi mafia.

However, they must have some idea as to how to make a living other than this as they say, in low season they do not take people there.

So what do they do in low season? How do they eat?

I would bet they do not save money and balance out the high season money to last all year.

In the end, Thai people like this do things like this because the Thai police do not stop things like this!

i'll tell you why they struggle ... because rich farang don't want to pay a few baht to use the boats to get to the beach! no, instead they want a free ride, or try and sneak onto the beach! as farang you are only a guest in this beautiful country, so respect the local people, support small business and pay for the boat ride to the beach .... or FO home!

I know some foreigners who visit here are terrible and only here for the seedy side of things probably, I cringe at these people myself as I do when I see foreigners being rude to Thai people.

Your posts seem to tarnish us all the same though, farang is farang, and we are all rich in your eyes !

You do know though right that, for example, a Russian tourist comes from a completely different culture to a British tourist as does an Australian tourist to an Italian tourist.

We are not all the same, we do not all earn the same, some will be rich, some not, some will be kin yao and some won't care to pay some money, that's the world my friend.

So sad to see what you write. Maybe we should all go home then we can wish you good luck in trying to force domestic holiday makers to do exactly what you want them to do.

• Like 2

That is what happens when people are uneducated, they are very insecure about their income because they have no idea how else to make living. So forcing tourists to use their services is the best way to make money they can think of. Similar situation with Phuket taxi mafia.

No, this is what happens when the Thai Police do not do their jobs.

The legal definition of Robbery is Theft under threat or use of force.

These thugs are ROBBERS and should be arrested and charged with a criminal offence immediately.

All Thai beaches are owned by the King with freedom to visit granted to all. These thugs are trying extort money, under the threat of violence, from individuals trying to visit a public beach.

There are lots and lots of police here in Phuket, but there is zero policing.

Lock up these morons now.

Just imagine if a couple of board short wearing thugs ran some barbed wire across Bondi beach and demanded an admission fee or that Australia's most popular beach could only be visited by boat. What would happen to them. And why would the outcome be different.

Because the Police in Australia actually do (some) police work.

• Like 2

However, they must have some idea as to how to make a living other than this as they say, in low season they do not take people there.

So what do they do in low season? How do they eat?

Hibernate?

Police get of your lazy ass's - arrest these guys - do your F****** jobs for once. What a disgrace this is even allowed to happen for one minute. Phuket yet again showing it is a quality tourist destination.

Please DONT ask the police to do their job of enforcing the law.

If you do then they will have to arrest themselves for corruption whistling.gif

Thought there was some sort of beach hut bar/restaurant at Freedom beach. How is that business supposed to get customers. Amazing Thailand at it's worst.

Outta likes and it seems the first "establishment" that would try to sort this out.

Wow.....most of the comments here are so small minded I wonder who the fools really are. Ya ya ya...boat mafia, ya ya ya...free to walk.

Has anyone caught the deep message here? Locals being squeezed because of the tourism boon. Fishing the seas was once lucrative, now they cannot because of the tourism. Education? Duh. Most governments give a sh*t about education, why do you expats blather about Thai education so much, when I'm sure most of you have very little anyway? It is called greed. And it is not the boat people's greed that started this. It was those who saw profit for tourism. Now, those once fishermen have to adjust and get their fair share of the pie.....SO QUIT YOU'RE EFFIN WHINING AND PAY THE MEASLY FAIR TO THE BEACH.

No, this is what happens when the Thai Police do not do their jobs.

The legal definition of Robbery is Theft under threat or use of force.

These thugs are ROBBERS and should be arrested and charged with a criminal offence immediately.

All Thai beaches are owned by the King with freedom to visit granted to all. These thugs are trying extort money, under the threat of violence, from individuals trying to visit a public beach.

There are lots and lots of police here in Phuket, but there is zero policing.

Lock up these morons now.

Just imagine if a couple of board short wearing thugs ran some barbed wire across Bondi beach and demanded an admission fee or that Australia's most popular beach could only be visited by boat. What would happen to them. And why would the outcome be different.

Because the Police in Australia actually do (some) police work.

Why would some board short wearing surfers actually do that? They don't have to. They are affluent. Get the idea?

obviously a lot of "farang" have a lot to say! maybe it's time to remind you, you are merely guests in this beautiful country! these boatsmen live here and have to make a living somehow! what is the cost of the boat ride from patong, 100bht, 200bht???? as farang, you should be supporting local small businesses ... so pay you way to get to this beautiful beach ... or FO!

Lunatic!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

obviously a lot of "farang" have a lot to say! maybe it's time to remind you, you are merely guests in this beautiful country! these boatsmen live here and have to make a living somehow! what is the cost of the boat ride from patong, 100bht, 200bht???? as farang, you should be supporting local small businesses ... so pay you way to get to this beautiful beach ... or FO!

Lunatic!

NO....Slipperhead....YOU are the lunatic. Although I do not agree with the "we are guests" BS....but the small business support is my way of a just world....go to Starbuck's much....do ya?

Wow.....most of the comments here are so small minded I wonder who the fools really are. Ya ya ya...boat mafia, ya ya ya...free to walk.

Has anyone caught the deep message here? Locals being squeezed because of the tourism boon. Fishing the seas was once lucrative, now they cannot because of the tourism. Education? Duh. Most governments give a sh*t about education, why do you expats blather about Thai education so much, when I'm sure most of you have very little anyway? It is called greed. And it is not the boat people's greed that started this. It was those who saw profit for tourism. Now, those once fishermen have to adjust and get their fair share of the pie.....SO QUIT YOU'RE EFFIN WHINING AND PAY THE MEASLY FAIR TO THE BEACH.

Far better to avoid Phuket altogether and avoid the scumbags who run the place.

Lunatic!

NO....Slipperhead....YOU are the lunatic. Although I do not agree with the "we are guests" BS....but the small business support is my way of a just world....go to Starbuck's much....do ya?

Nah I avoid the place as the coffee is crap and they overcharge.

Am I right in thinking that the son of the man who is leading the anti Government campaign was accused of land encroachment on Phuket? What was the result of that case? We all know who the Baron of Phuket is.whistling.gif

Edited by Gandtee

I'd like to see the taxi mafia fight these guys for taking away business from them, fares to the beach that people then walk down onto lost to boat owners taking fares. What about those poor taxi drivers lively hood eh?

freedom beach is currently ranked as #3 of 16 attractions in patong on tripadvisor.com

according to the latest reviewers, the boat ride costs 700 baht/person from patong beach or 2000 baht/person from karon

those poor boatmen must be really struggling to survive

Edited by brit1984
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Lunatic!

You're a lunatic. No, (insert insulting name),YOU'RE a lunatic. Way to go guys.

Edited by pee paub

Thought there was some sort of beach hut bar/restaurant at Freedom beach. How is that business supposed to get customers. Amazing Thailand at it's worst.

I was at Freedom Beach last Friday but well after this happened. To answer your question, yes, there is a small beach restaurant (with very good food at a reasonable price) and there is also a children's play area near the restaurant.

I had a great experience taking a long tail boat from Tri Trang Beach. The operator was super nice, spoke great English and let me bargain down the price super cheap. Also did a bit of a trek when I was there, and no one seemed to mind at all.

Hope all of this gets sorted out as Freedom Beach is really a nice place.

You managed to enjoy your visit, and as you expressed, you paid to get there.

The normal problem with Phuket is everything is charged for, even using the restroom/bathroom.

Shop owners have problems with you parking in front of their shop, even though your parking on the public road.

The shop owners feel it's their space for sale,

and you have only the choice to pay or move, or they will place damage onto your vehicle.

I called the police once for a lady took a long pole to my car,

before I could even lock the doors.

I tried to explain to her, I was just wanting to go two shops down to get a hair cut,

and wouldn't be long. She wanted 100bht only, is what she told the police when they arrived one hr later.

I tried to explain, I've only waited this one hr for the police to arrive, to assess the damage to my vehicle,

which was done, without any warning or explanation to me.

Police stated she can't speak English,

can I move my car down the street?

I was like, what about the damage?

He stated he didn't see it done.

I informed him I did.

He informed me, it was my word against hers...

now can I please move my car down the road to a paid parking spot?

What a joke, and complete waste of time.

Next day I paid a lady, to park my car at Patong beach,

while I went into Starbucks.

Had a cup of coffee,

and returned to the car,

only to see that someone had taken a coin to the right side of the vehicle.

Asked the parking, Government looking lady who handed out the parking tickets for us to place on the windshield showing we had paid for the space.

She seemed to be very quick to the vehicle when parking, yet she claimed she hadn't seen anything.

No mind, the police won't do anything, but it was just a question.

I left the island as quick as I could pack up my rental,

and hire a truck.

Sold the car, it was apparently drawing bad karma.

I'll never return to that place regardless of the beauty that lies within it.

I moved to Hua Hin, and after Tsunami hit the island, for the next 18 months,

people were walking the streets in Hua Hin collecting donations for the rebuild of Phuket,

or at least that's what they claimed.

Thought to myself, it's better if it doesn't get rebuilt,

and karma had come around to clean up the island,

with all it's greed hopefully washed away.

Guess not so...

• Like 1