BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Durianwriter

Understanding Thai Addresses

I'm doing a bit of a mapping project and I'm trying to place a few different addresses using a combination of google maps and bing.

I'm having trouble whenever an address is a "moo" something. For example, I can't find "Moo 15, Tambon Krachaeng, Kanthalarak, Si Sa Ket."

What does Moo really mean? Do villages go by another name than just their number, and is there a way to figure out which number corresponds with which village?

Thanks for your help!

Moo is a smaller side street off of a soi that comes of a thanon (main road) I think and a yak is an even smaller one?

I've yet to find any logic whatever to Thai addresses once you leave the realms of the (relatively) ordered cities.

Our whole village is 'moo 3' which is prefixed by a plot number, so we are '4 moo 3' followed by the sub-district name then the Tambon, the plot numbers follow no order I can see.

We are on a relatively major (4 digit) road but the road doesn't have a name so it doesn't figure in the address at all.

You stand no chance whatever of finding our place on a map from the address alone. At least putting the postcode into Google Maps gets you within a couple or five km, sadly there's a ruddy great river running right through the centre of the postcode region so you can easily be within 500m but have a 10km drive to get there.

In my village, the plot number is number in which the resident was built. When my place was built I was the 127th. There is no order on the road.

Moo is a smaller side street off of a soi that comes of a thanon (main road) I think and a yak is an even smaller one?

So what is a Thambon? I live on soi 7, but my address is 18/67 M.8 soi 7. Care to define that all for me? I am in same state of confusion over all this as the gentleman that started this thread.

That's a tough project. If you do anything in Thailand and they need your address you have to supply them with a map. So therefore most Thais don't understand the address system either.

Good luck

I thought that "moo" meant village.

Where I stay we are surrounded by physically separate villages

each with a number, eg Moo 12, Moor 13, Moo 14, etc

Edit: Yes, the post above is correct, Moo is short for Mubahn (sp?)

http://www.thailandguru.com/thailand-postal-office-couriers.html

Addresses in Thailand

Finding an address is usually difficult in Thailand. You normally need directions from someone, and most businesses provide a map. Why?

Unlike in most western countries, street addresses in Thailand are not sequential order as you go down the road. They are usually in the order in which the structure was built, so that house number 12 can be next to house number 53, and house number 11 can be a kilometer away!

The street name is usually NOT on the address on Thailand, except in central Bangkok and a few other places, especially for homes. However, even in Bangkok, while you have the street name, the address numbers are still not in order so you still have somewhat of the same problem as in the provinces, though at least you know you're close, maybe within a kilometer or two ... but that's still a lot of area to hunt around for.

Before I present city addresses, let's first look at the standard for nationwide addresses.

Thai addresses are usually in the form:

XXX/YYY Moo ZZ

T. aaaaaaa

A. bbbbbbb

City, Province, Postal Code

For example:

765/345 Moo 12

T. Ban Mai

A. Pakkred

Nonthaburi, 12345

In the latter example, the 765 (XXX) is the house group, and the 345 (YYY) is the house number within the group. You will find house groups mixed up with each other, so that going down a soi you may find 56/234 beside 56/789 beside 56/987 beside 41/2 beside 41/3 beside 56/876 beside 98/321, and you may find 56/232 a kilometer away from 56/233. The groups tend to designate the age of the house, i.e., a building phase.

Then there is the Moo, also spelled Mu or abbreviated M., which is the village number, so the example designates village number 12 within Tambon Ban Mai.

Each province is split into about 5 to 25 districts called Amphur, and each Amphur is split into many Tambon, and then each Tambon is split into many Moo groups. In the address above, T. is Tambon and A. is Amphur. People often put in M. for Moo.

In the cities, you can have addresses like this:

321/456 Sukhumvit soi 39

Klongton-Nua, Wattana, Bangkok 10110

The difference is that it has a street name instead of a Moo number (instead a soi number, see next paragraph). Also, they tend to drop "Tambon" and "Amphur" words, though that's what Klongton-Nua and Wattana are, in this example.

Most city addresses will have a "soi" number. The main roads have perpendicular streets going off both sides, which are called "sois" and are even numbered 2, 4, 6, etc., on one side and odd numbered 1, 3, 5, etc., on the other side. As you go down the road, they tend to get out of sync so that soi 71 can be across the street from soi 48, but they are always in order on the same side of the street, i.e., before soi 48 is always soi 46.

Many sois usually have a name, too, for example, Sukhumvit soi 4 is called soi Nana (well known), but the name of the soi is usually not specified, only the number, and if you said a typical soi name, most people wouldn't know where it is, but if you say Sukhumvit soi 39, they know generally where that is!

However, once you find the soi number, the office and house addresses are normally not in order, so you have the same problem as in the provinces and suburbs, such as "I'm now on Sukhumvit soi 39, but where is house 321/456?" In the city, people usually don't know each other, unlike in the countryside, so you better have clear directions. If it's a business, then ask the motorcycle taxis because they normally know.

If you need to find a place, the best thing to do is ask the person you are trying to find, and get directions like this: "From Sukhumvit Road, go to Sukhumvit soi 39, turn left, go 1.2 kilometers to L'Opera Restaurant, turn left again, go 50 meters to turn right at the next sub-soi, then go down another 80 meters and our house is on the right, number 321/456" or something like that.

In the countryside, once you get close enough you can often just ask for a person's family name and someone will know. The problem is getting close enough, because there are no signs saying "Mu 5 this way, Mu 6 that way". You can see addresses with Mu numbers on them and ask someone where is Mu 12, and keep getting closer and closer ...

On a weekday, you can call or go to the post office to ask. On a weekend, you can find the Tambon village headman's house and go ask him, and someone may even take you to the home. Otherwise, you can ask around, but people don't remember house numbers and it's best to ask for names, and hope they know who you are looking for.

However, in the end, the best thing to do is just get directions from the person or place you are seeking out.

Totally wrong....

Moo is short for Mooban (moo meaning "group" bahn meaning "house" so mooban = village.

Soi is an alley, yaek is a junction (sam yaek = T intersection, si yaek = X intersection)

From top to bottom you have:

Jangwat = province

Ampoe = District

Tambon = sub district

Mooban = village

all villages have names as well as numbers, but for sending a letter you use the number of the village rather than the name.

The address in a small village will be something like:

house number, village number, tambon, ampoe, jangwat.

in larger villages you'd also have a soi number but usually no such things as road names

In my village, the plot number is number in which the resident was built. When my place was built I was the 127th. There is no order on the road.

Actually it's numbered after the order the plot got the chanote land title.

I wonder when they will also demand Latitude and Longitude details on all addresses.

Good luck with that endeavor mate!

Don't take it for granted that when looking for a certain place or plotting the location of such on a map that it is the actual location that you want. I would suggest going into "street view" to see if in fact it is what you expect it to be!

For example: If you take the address for the new temporary Immigration Dept. in Bangkok, taken from the Immigration website and stick into Google maps (Major Hollywood Suksawat, Suksawat Road, Ratburana) it actually gives you the wrong location. It is a Major Hollywood Suksawat, but not the right one! But if you put in Major Hollywood Ratburana it should give you the proper one on Soi Suksawat 60

Among other things Google maps actually has the Soi that my condo is on named incorrectly!

Thailand has:

Provinces or Changwat (76) - like Bangkok for example

The capital city of the province shares the same name as the province - i.e. Bangkok is the capital city of Bangkok Province

The city has districts (Khet) or Amphur/Amphoe - mine in Bangkok is Khet Bang Rak

The Amphur is divided further into sub-districts called Tambons/Tambol - like mine, Bang Rak

Moo (Moo Ban) - this would be a village outside of Bangkok, if in the city of Bangkok it will be the sub-division of an area

Thanon - this would be a main road/lane like Sukhumvit Road

Soi - this is a side street branching off from a main street, the Soi will be a number of that main road such as Sukhumvit Soi 11

I think that's about it...any other TV posters please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong?

good luck!