Interpreter Needed

richardb

Dear all, I have booked up today for a well earned Holiday in LOS. I wil be in Chiang Rai 14-17th June . I am visiting Chiang Rai to vist by ex girlfriends mum and son whom I take care of, my ex passed away last year. The family live in Tichalik just a few hundred meters into Burma . I can find the house no problem but cannot speak to the family nor they to me. I am looking for someone to come with me on the 15th June to translate for me ( Thai/Burmese/Lahu??? ). I can of course pay a reasonable rate for an interpreter.

Thanks all

Richard

Dear all, I have booked up today for a well earned Holiday in LOS. I wil be in Chiang Rai 14-17th June . I am visiting Chiang Rai to vist by ex girlfriends mum and son whom I take care of, my ex passed away last year. The family live in Tichalik just a few hundred meters into Burma . I can find the house no problem but cannot speak to the family nor they to me. I am looking for someone to come with me on the 15th June to translate for me ( Thai/Burmese/Lahu??? ). I can of course pay a reasonable rate for an interpreter.

Thanks all

Richard

Do you know which language the family actually speaks? If they speak Thai then a Thai to English translator shouldn't be too difficult to find. Lahu to English might be a little more difficult. Burmese to English should be arranged in Mae Sai.

Or, you might just go across the border and hire one of the many local Tachilek guides who speak Thai/Burmese/English, for half a day. Make sure the guide is legit and agree on a price before.

Good luck,

Mymechew

• 2 weeks later...
Where are you heading?

In the Rai!

Thanks all, am in LOS as I type and should be in Chiang Rai tonight and tomorrow night. Anyone fancy a beer?

Richard

Still in Don Muang appalling cock up. The scene its 10.30 as I check out of he Diana Inn pattaya and am booked on the 13.45 to Chiang Rai.

The following ensues. Can I have taxi to airpott. When you go? I go now . What day now ( warning signes should have started flashing ) Today now . 5 minutes Long converstons ensue in Thai on the phone . Younot get there in time Yes I get there . It take three hours No it takrs two. More conversations presuably along the lines of we have falang want go airport now now yes now what he have for breakfast how are your nine cousins....... Still cool and smiling I made a fatal mistake I gave the lady my flight details. I noticed she had a thai arways book out . What you do. I phone airline Why. To say you be late. I should add half an hor has now passed I am still smiling but my blood pressure is through the roof and the surround8ing benches are now filled up with falang tourists of the elderly variety who thinking that maybe its too early for a beer have decided to see how this all unfolds. Why you phone Thai air. Itell them you have accident and be late and they hold the plane. No you get taxi now phone thai air later. OK taxi come 5 min. another 15 mins passes . Where taxi . Thai air say not keep plane for you. I am still smiling just. Ok go taxi now. But now you late for sure. Still smiling. One of the now large crowd listening to this a texan I think comments " the boy should have got himself a helicopter" Smile starting to wane . I see three taaaaaxi outside I want one. Cannot cannpt guarantee you get plane. I dont care you say 5 mins now one hour. Better for you sir. Ok I get taxi myself. I walk over the road to he taxi stand cab now yes ok i get bag one min. I get bag from hotel. Why you not take hotel taxi we have. I want go now I wait one hour. We have three taxi see ( points to taxis I hav been trying to get into for last hour. I want now.

Why you not say you hurry so sorry I not understand.

there is an expression I dont know if it has a name . Its kind of half smile half sad with a healthy dose of " why did you do this to me " That is the expression I had.

Got to airport 15 mins before take off too late to check in am hot smelly and have drunk four beers.

ps to answer your question I will just book a hoptel at the booth at the airport when I eventually arrive.

Regards Richard

Thai sim

we you not brbn ;re I want. No cannot guarantee. I walk 20 m aymmrfbfA

Sorry to hear about your ordeal Richard... incompetent staff to say the least.

Anyways, my own philosophy is that if you want something done here, do it yourself.

In your case, it probably would have been better and quicker to forget about the hotel staff - and just go out and flag down your own taxi.

This is what I always do.