Baked Beans!

I usually buy S & W brand baked beans because I think there're closest in taste to the ones in the UK ie. not too sweet. But for the last couple of weeks I haven't seen any on the shelves at the supermarkets. Even the Ozzie ones have gone. All that's left are the Thai brands that have too much sweetner in them. Where they gone? Have all the American sailors been buying them or have they just cut the supplies? I have seen Heinz Vegetarian baked beans - No Meat!! does that mean the usual ones contain meat? :o In any case, if they can import Heinz Veggie beans, why can't we get the normal Heinz baked beans.

That's happened to me also. The last item was a really good apple sauce that just showed up on the shelves. Found them available in two outlets and would buy a dozen cans or so at a time. But this was an item I suspected would disappear also after a while and stocked up as much as I could and after a few months they all disappeared from the shelves. Same with Chili Con Carne, disappeared.

Someone explained to me once about this and that a shipping container or two will come in. The goods get distributed to various outlets (Tesco, Tops, etc.) and when it's gone either they have to wait for another container if it was decided to reorder or just decide not worth importing again.

Edited by tywais

^ Thats the Ayam brand from Bhutan I believe.

I agree they aren't bad at all. They've improved greatly over the last few years.

Yes, that's the one. Not bad for 20-30 odd Baht a can.

That makes 3 of us..... :o

Agreed, the small can is perfect for 2 slices of toast!

:D Heinz vegetrarian beans are virtually indistinguishable from 'normal' heinz beans. I think the reason for them being vegetarian is that those in the States have small pieces of bacon or ham. I hav e to admit it took me a long time before I threw 50 odd baht at a tin, I thought it was too dear. I would now say I couldn't ever go back to AYAM, even the reduced sugar ones are foul in my opinion :o .

In fact I think I'll go and makes some beans on toast.................................

Agree the Ayam brand is very good. The tins used to be imported from Malaysia but is now canned in Thailand from unspecified source. Tasting better and costing much less that other brands it is what I have eaten for the last decade. The tins on our shelf now were canned in Thailand but are vegetarian and halal certified by Malaysia so suspect the source is still Malaysia.

carrefour supermarket on rama 4 carries 4 or 5 lines of baked beans including the ayam beans and the heinz vegetarian beans.

stocked up with a dozen cans of ayam only the other day during a short trip to bangkok.

Baked Beans are a god given treat , heavily sprinkled with black pepper and eaten with hot buttered toast ( 3 slices ) or with a baked potato , it is one of the worlds finest comfort foods , just the thing for a grey rainy season afternoon with a cup of pg tips or a decent earl grey and a good film on the tv.

Baked Beans are a god given treat , heavily sprinkled with black pepper and eaten with hot buttered toast ( 3 slices ) or with a baked potato , it is one of the worlds finest comfort foods , just the thing for a grey rainy season afternoon with a cup of pg tips or a decent earl grey and a good film on the tv.

get outta here...baked beans are great when you got them in the larder when surrounded by awful authentic thai food...I usually just rip off the the top of the can an' dig in...no heating necessary...

at the Suphanburi tescos you can get Campbell's pork an' beans which are quite nice but pricey at bt40 per can...saved my arse plenty ob times when faced with fish heads in nam pla/chilli sauce back at the ranch...

SPC beans are the best next to heinz. Awesome, I had a can of them before going in for an operation a few days ago, kinda regretted it all the next day and not sure if I embarrassed myself during the OR.

:o:D:D:D:D:D

:D the musical food :D

SPC beans are the best next to heinz. Awesome, I had a can of them before going in for an operation a few days ago, kinda regretted it all the next day and not sure if I embarrassed myself during the OR.

Agree, SPC are the best by far, I brought about 40 cans of them from Villa when they were on special for about 40 baht, now nealy gone. The AYAM ones are foul, any taste they had is well overpowered by the addition of way too much sugar, Unfortunately brought a few cans, now my kids won't even eat them and I ain't got a dog, What to do?

:D Heinz vegetrarian beans are virtually indistinguishable from 'normal' heinz beans. I think the reason for them being vegetarian is that those in the States have small pieces of bacon or ham. I hav e to admit it took me a long time before I threw 50 odd baht at a tin, I thought it was too dear. I would now say I couldn't ever go back to AYAM, even the reduced sugar ones are foul in my opinion :o .

In fact I think I'll go and makes some beans on toast.................................

I've just tried a tin of these Heinz "vegetarian" beans and no way are they indistinguishable from normal ones! The normal Heinz beans I am used to from the UK have lovely red/orange tomato sause where these looked liked they had been mixed with gravy - dark sauce. So what's that about? Since when did tomato sauce change to brown? I must admitt the taste is better than the Thai brands but oh please lets have the real Heinz beans! :D:D

• 1 month later...
I usually buy S & W brand baked beans because I think there're closest in taste to the ones in the UK ie. not too sweet. But for the last couple of weeks I haven't seen any on the shelves at the supermarkets. Even the Ozzie ones have gone. All that's left are the Thai brands that have too much sweetner in them. Where they gone? Have all the American sailors been buying them or have they just cut the supplies? I have seen Heinz Vegetarian baked beans - No Meat!! does that mean the usual ones contain meat? :o In any case, if they can import Heinz Veggie beans, why can't we get the normal Heinz baked beans.

Four or five years ago a friend was telling me he tried to get a concession from Heinz to import their brand of baked beans. Heinz told him that there is one group/person/company that has the concession for all importing Heinz brands into Thailand and it was up to them alone as to what they decide to import.

a hint to all you diabetics that like canned baked beans...you can get rid of most of the sugar by rinsing the beans under tap water, sorta like you would do with other canned beans when making a bean salad......then microwave per usual.

Don't taste half bad...

bean salad

one can each of:

cut green beans

kidneys

pintos

black eyed peas

lentils

rinse all with water, mix with chopped green onions and douse with virgin olive oil and lemon juice with plenty of fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste. Refrigerate and eat for the next three days...it tastes better and better after each passing day in the fridge...

a simple, wholesome and easily prepared dish. I challenge anyone to find the ingredients other than the green onions at tescos or Carrefour...

(buncha savages...)

I've just tried a tin of these Heinz "vegetarian" beans and no way are they indistinguishable from normal ones! The normal Heinz beans I am used to from the UK have lovely red/orange tomato sause where these looked liked they had been mixed with gravy - dark sauce. So what's that about? Since when did tomato sauce change to brown? I must admitt the taste is better than the Thai brands but oh please lets have the real Heinz beans! :D:D

These are probably the original Boston Baked Beans recipe: mixed with some molasses and maple syrup. Baked beans in the US and Canada also usually contain pieces of pork so vegetarian will not have the pork

. And before you Brits start -- baked beans orginate in North America, not the UK so just (ahem) can the comments :D

Boston is called beantown but the history of Boston Baked Beans is an interesting one and doesn’t start in Boston. Boston's nickname’s history seems to have started with the Narragansett, Penobscot and Iroquois people who created what history and the National Restaurant Association tells us is the first baked bean recipe.

The main ingredient in baked beans is maple syrup, not ketchup as some think. The Iroquois discovered maple syrup. Legend tells us that a tomahawk was thrown into a maple tree one night. The next morning sap came out of the hole. This sap tasted sweet. Meat was boiled in it and found to be delicious. Thus we have the beginnings of a baked bean recipe – maple syrup.

Native Americans later made recipes that included maple syrup and bear fat. Are you wondering yet where Boston comes in? You don’t have to wait any longer. It seems during colonial time, the Pilgrims learned how to make baked beans from the Native Americans but rather than maple syrup and bear fat they used molasses and pork fat. Molasses was used because Boston was one of the ports on the shipping route from England to the Caribbean to New England and back to England. The sugar cane grown in the Caribbean was shipped to Boston, turned into molasses and rum and then shipped back to England. However there was more than enough molasses left over and molasses became a major ingredient rather than maple syrup.

Question:

Baked Beans Where have the foreign brands gone?

Answer:

stocked up with a dozen cans of ayam only the other day during a short trip to bangkok.

I regularly see farangs ###### near breaking thier backs lifting up every last item of farang foods out of our local big C.

There's NEVER any baked beans in there!

I have a mate bringing 3 cartons of Heinz baked beans in hame sauce from Australia at xmas. I've also sent emails to Villa/Tops/Foodland and aksed them to import them cos they already import Aussie Heinz spaghetti. So far no response. If all you blokes hassle them with emails, they might consider it worthwhile.

Villa stock "Watties" Baked beans which are from New Zealand - Watties is the Heinz brand in NZ and the beans are the same as that sold as Heinz in the UK. They aint cheap though - I think I noticed about 110 baht for a large tin.

Brits cannot eat half as much as we can. But sacrilige to the person who suggested washing the sauce away before eating them crikey that is just a waste.

If you want to spice up the best baked beans in the world next to Heinz, heinz were the best then spc took over, would like to compare them both now, but anyway add a sprinkling of cracked black pepper and a dash of tobasco sauce. do this before you heat it up and make sure you heat it to boiling point while stirring continuosly so as to not spoil the base by burning a few beans.

Then cook 4 pieces of toast to well done, spread sparingly with butter as the sauce is enough, but the butter adds to the taste, make sure toast is crunchy as the sauce is soaked up and if not crunchy, the toast becomes soggy immediately.

I can is ideally enough to spread evenly over 4 pieces of toast.

Next lesson baked bean toasted jaffles.

I miss baked beans a lot, all I seem to find in the foodland, tops and tesco are cans of bloody baked peanuts!! I'm not joking, they are actually peanuts labelled as baked beans!! and in tommy sauce too!!!! Now someone tell me that beans are not peanuts please! Have I been fooled all this time?? I don't think so...