Baked Beans!

Brits cannot eat half as much as we can. But sacrilige to the person who suggested washing the sauce away before eating them crikey that is just a waste.

well, (sniff), you don't have to be so rude and abusive...I am not sacreligeous...I believe in good beans and admire, revere and endorse the quest to source them in the thai culinary wasteland...

but I am also diabetic and your blood glucose goes crazy when unnecessary sugar is introduced into the diet...I was only tryin' to help my similarly affected brethren...

only the uninitiated and the insensitive would object to a diabetic washing his sugar coated beans in an attempt to maintain a frail and failing constitution...with an increased risk of heart disease, stroke and generalised early death...

get out the rope...I say we lynch the bastid...

If you want to spice up the best baked beans in the world next to Heinz, heinz were the best then spc took over

Oh man, you're missing out. You have to try Bush's Baked Beans. They come in a few different varieties and I love em and I don't usually even like beans all that much.

imgoriginalvt0.jpg

imgbarbecueti6.jpg

imgbostonca1.jpg

imghoneybakeddn8.jpg

Brits cannot eat half as much as we can. But sacrilige to the person who suggested washing the sauce away before eating them crikey that is just a waste.

well, (sniff), you don't have to be so rude and abusive...I am not sacreligeous...I believe in good beans and admire, revere and endorse the quest to source them in the thai culinary wasteland...

but I am also diabetic and your blood glucose goes crazy when unnecessary sugar is introduced into the diet...I was only tryin' to help my similarly affected brethren...

only the uninitiated and the insensitive would object to a diabetic washing his sugar coated beans in an attempt to maintain a frail and failing constitution...with an increased risk of heart disease, stroke and generalised early death...

get out the rope...I say we lynch the bastid...

Ok now, take it easy tutsi, this guy is still fairly new. :o:D

Try your hardest, i will leave a trail of sugar cubes for you to find me.

While I doubt the Yanks could come up with anything better than the real beans of Oz, you never do, I would not mind trying the original, bbq and honey beans of Bush'

But then sigh...I would be sadly disappointed and have to return to the awesome taste of ....spc baked beans and spahgetti for hungry little human beans..... do you guys really think 'Warny' would get it wrong ?

Try your hardest, i will leave a trail of sugar cubes for you to find me.

While I doubt the Yanks could come up with anything better than the real beans of Oz, you never do, I would not mind trying the original, bbq and honey beans of Bush'

But then sigh...I would be sadly disappointed and have to return to the awesome taste of ....spc baked beans and spahgetti for hungry little human beans..... do you guys really think 'Warny' would get it wrong ?

You must try them to understand how wonderful they are. If you don't like sweet-tasting beans then they are not for you.

• 1 month later...

Well, not being one to not try new things and spit them out, like marmite etc.

I recently bought one of these american bbq varieties and the heinze veg one that promised rich tomato sauce.

Then I also found the heinz normal one with rich tomatoe sauce, god knows what the diff is as they both beans and no meat, but anyway.

So, the bbq species tasted like crap. The heinz veg tasted bland and crappy. The heinze normal one tasted same as the first one.

But the good old Aussie SPC found the spot and was just right.

Funny thing is, how come the Poms have not had the brains to install the ring pull top yet ?? The Poms sent the aussies out there many moons ago and now we have the best of it all. What is that saying about Karma...I prefer the more mature ...narny narny nah nah.

:D Heinz vegetrarian beans are virtually indistinguishable from 'normal' heinz beans. I think the reason for them being vegetarian is that those in the States have small pieces of bacon or ham. I hav e to admit it took me a long time before I threw 50 odd baht at a tin, I thought it was too dear. I would now say I couldn't ever go back to AYAM, even the reduced sugar ones are foul in my opinion :o .

In fact I think I'll go and makes some beans on toast.................................

I've just tried a tin of these Heinz "vegetarian" beans and no way are they indistinguishable from normal ones! The normal Heinz beans I am used to from the UK have lovely red/orange tomato sause where these looked liked they had been mixed with gravy - dark sauce. So what's that about? Since when did tomato sauce change to brown? I must admitt the taste is better than the Thai brands but oh please lets have the real Heinz beans! :D:D

These are probably the original Boston Baked Beans recipe: mixed with some molasses and maple syrup. Baked beans in the US and Canada also usually contain pieces of pork so vegetarian will not have the pork

. And before you Brits start -- baked beans orginate in North America, not the UK so just (ahem) can the comments :D

Boston is called beantown but the history of Boston Baked Beans is an interesting one and doesn’t start in Boston. Boston's nickname’s history seems to have started with the Narragansett, Penobscot and Iroquois people who created what history and the National Restaurant Association tells us is the first baked bean recipe.

The main ingredient in baked beans is maple syrup, not ketchup as some think. The Iroquois discovered maple syrup. Legend tells us that a tomahawk was thrown into a maple tree one night. The next morning sap came out of the hole. This sap tasted sweet. Meat was boiled in it and found to be delicious. Thus we have the beginnings of a baked bean recipe – maple syrup.

Native Americans later made recipes that included maple syrup and bear fat. Are you wondering yet where Boston comes in? You don’t have to wait any longer. It seems during colonial time, the Pilgrims learned how to make baked beans from the Native Americans but rather than maple syrup and bear fat they used molasses and pork fat. Molasses was used because Boston was one of the ports on the shipping route from England to the Caribbean to New England and back to England. The sugar cane grown in the Caribbean was shipped to Boston, turned into molasses and rum and then shipped back to England. However there was more than enough molasses left over and molasses became a major ingredient rather than maple syrup.

Fortunately the US is no longer a colony and life and beans have moved on. Let us not forget that per head of population the UK eats more baked beans than any other country in the world!! It was a great relief when Big C opened in Surin and sold baked beans. AYAM is much better than nothing.

Typical of a Pom to not have so much confidence in their ability...

I have met Chonabot and would back hin 100% to beat any convict named after a U-Boat, in an eating contest or any other feat of strength.

A few beans in his case equates to your life savings, oh worrier of Kangaroo Joeys.... :o

'I have met Chonabot and would back hin 100% to beat any convict named after a U-Boat, in an eating contest or any other feat of strength.

A few beans in his case equates to your life savings, oh worrier of Kangaroo Joeys..'

Hmmmm.....'hin'...which I assume you mean 'him'....well at least this convict can spell 3 letter words.

I also thought that a funny name for a bloke 'chona' and her 'bot'...but I guess he is a Pom and slightly confused.

My savings would add up to an awful lot of beans and I not sure you should be sprouting off the abilities of another without his consent, cos I mean I doubt he could down a dozen cans of the finest australian beans that provide the force behind a great australian bowler.

'I have met Chonabot and would back hin 100% to beat any convict named after a U-Boat, in an eating contest or any other feat of strength.

A few beans in his case equates to your life savings, oh worrier of Kangaroo Joeys..'

Hmmmm.....'hin'...which I assume you mean 'him'....well at least this convict can spell 3 letter words.

I also thought that a funny name for a bloke 'chona' and her 'bot'...but I guess he is a Pom and slightly confused.

My savings would add up to an awful lot of beans and I not sure you should be sprouting off the abilities of another without his consent, cos I mean I doubt he could down a dozen cans of the finest australian beans that provide the force behind a great australian bowler.

If you understood Thai you would perhaps understand the name.

Like most Ozzies you understand little except your own ability to shear sheep.

ps , there is no W in Nautilus........drongo.

:o

30 tins... :o then you woke up in your own helium baloon !

So, thats only 15 each...frikkin girls.

But mind you, if you are the average gentleman of rotundness, perhaps weighing in at 160/170 kilos, then I can understand this and you can have the title, but if you are a more refined and aesthetic individual like me (read not a fat <deleted>) then the challenge would be more accurate. Unless of course your ample belly would agree to handicaps ??

• 3 weeks later...

Ayam brand is totally malaysian. perhaps canned here and a little sugar added to suit the local market but generally malaysians are not much sugar eaters. have had a lot of baked beans while in malaysia and the ones sold here in thailand are not bad at all. for the price, you can't go wrong.

the best way is to make baked beans with luncheon meat (pork), cut the luncheon meat into cubes, fry them. and then add baked beans, black pepper, chili sauce, tomato sauce, salt. eat over rice. yummy!

too bad the only brands of luncheon meat here in SPAM, or Tulip. too expensive. in malaysia, they got lots of brands from china going back 40 years. long established good chinese luncheon meat.

• 1 month later...
Ayam brand is totally malaysian. perhaps canned here and a little sugar added to suit the local market but generally malaysians are not much sugar eaters. have had a lot of baked beans while in malaysia and the ones sold here in thailand are not bad at all. for the price, you can't go wrong.

the best way is to make baked beans with luncheon meat (pork), cut the luncheon meat into cubes, fry them. and then add baked beans, black pepper, chili sauce, tomato sauce, salt. eat over rice. yummy!

too bad the only brands of luncheon meat here in SPAM, or Tulip. too expensive. in malaysia, they got lots of brands from china going back 40 years. long established good chinese luncheon meat.

I hear that one...beans out of a can are tasteless unless you are on the road with your backpack eating them out of a can underneath an overpass in the rain...

I get Campbell's pork 'an beans from tescos...chop up an onion and sweat then add the beans with lotsa fresh ground black pepper and a few splashes of tabasco, simmer for a bit and bob's yer uncle...

btw, I like to pour off most of the sauce in the can as it is mostly sugar and messes with the savory onion addition...

Things I like keep disappearing too. I notice it with some foods, my contact lens sloutions, and my favorite deoderant. Not a food item here, but I must say, I'm not a fan of Thai deoderants, so now, as with the other items Tesco stopped stocking, I have to go out and hit the smaller stores, and specialty shops. It takes a bit more trouble, but I feel like, Fine ! If Tesco doesn't want my money, I'll take it elsewhere. This ultimately benefits the smaller guys and is why they manage to stay around too. So it all works out. I'm doing what I should probably have been doing in the first place, and avoiding the mega-large chains. THough of course they are convenient, clean, have tons of merhcandise, are well lit, and have alot of the other touches of the West we miss at times.....

yeah...sometimes the Suphan tescos can't keep things in stock...mostly items that appeal to falangs. Like, they started selling a real nice mature cheddar at a reasonable price that I know most thais don't eat also ground beef (mince) which I have never seen in any thai cuisine...both falang type items. I suspect other falangs of cleaning the place out whenever they appear on the shelves...there's usually plenty of Campbells pork and beans, though...

thank goodness this hasn't occured with the vodka or I'd get very annoyed...(falang wars in the Suphan tescos car park...) :o

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 2 months later...
I asked Villa to import some Heinz baked beans in Ham sauce from Australia a couple of months ago and surprisingly they agreed and I bought my first 4 cans last Friday. Some things you just can't do without.

Yes i agree with you Vegas, im a UK farang and i really miss colemans mustard and marmite, both of which are good for repelling mossis and have a good salt content to combat dehydration, I will e-mail tesco uk to see if they will provide my local Tesco with these items and other favorites, {udon thani 100ks away from me } but its worth a try, anybody want to add to these items??let me know, will post them a list!!