Marry an Indonesian girl and get a 25 year visa.

So will this Indonesia visa allow me to live in Thailand ?

No but you can visit as often as you want, and not have Indonesian immigration burn up the pages in your passport with ridiculous re-entry permits and charge you 1000THB every time you want to leave the country...

Really is Thailand like that for you ?. my multi re-entry stamp takes up very little real estate in my passport and allows me to come and go as I please.

What is this 1000b charge you are talking about ?

So will this Indonesia visa allow me to live in Thailand ?

No but you can visit as often as you want, and not have Indonesian immigration burn up the pages in your passport with ridiculous re-entry permits and charge you 1000THB every time you want to leave the country...

Really is Thailand like that for you ?. my multi re-entry stamp takes up very little real estate in my passport and allows me to come and go as I please.

What is this 1000b charge you are talking about ?

A single use re entry permit costs 1000THB.

This thread gives me such a warm fuzzy feeling wub.png ... thanks, everyone, for showing me that romance isn't dead!

No this thread isn't about romance.

It is about the fact that the Indonesian Government has recently acknowledge that a better visa (residency) solution should be provided to expats married to an indonesian citizen.

They should be commended for their family friendly stance.

Here in Thailand expats can only dream of a 25 year visa...

And for those of you who have been talking down Indonesia, have you ever actually been there?

Of course I am not referring to Bali. It was great 25 years ago, but now it is a sh-thole like Phuket.

A year on Java and many return trips. Live in Indo, you gotta be joking. (Dont forget the cost of a maid, that you must employ)

This thread gives me such a warm fuzzy feeling wub.png ... thanks, everyone, for showing me that romance isn't dead!

It is about the fact that the Indonesian Government has recently acknowledge that a better visa (residency) solution should be provided to expats married to an indonesian citizen.

And for those of you who have been talking down Indonesia, have you ever actually been there?

Of course I am not referring to Bali. It was great 25 years ago, but now it is a sh-thole like Phuket.

A year on Java and many return trips. Live in Indo, you gotta be joking. (Dont forget the cost of a maid, that you must employ)

And why, pray tell, do I have to employ a maid?

Surely people choose who to marry and where to live on more important criteria than just the visa issues.

And what happens at the end of 25 years?

You might have to do a little paperwork once a year in Thailand, but barring unforeseen changes, you're free to stay here for life.

The whole WP/visa thing really isn't that big a deal IMO, minor inconvenience at most.

Most readers here will be dead by then...lol

Seems too good to be true...Indo authorities (read: Indo men) are not very well disposed towards the bule..

I disagree with you entirely. Bahasa Indonesian is far easier to learn and master than Thai. I know, I speak both. I find it far more easy to make friends with Indonesian men and with the muslim lads I have NEVER had any scam or other such abuse of trust perpetrated on me.

On the other hand you have Thai men. After a raft of bad experiences over the last four years here in Thailand I have adopted a simply strategy. I have structured my life so that I deal with Thai men as little as is possible.

Surely people choose who to marry and where to live on more important criteria than just the visa issues.

You might have to do a little paperwork once a year in Thailand, but barring unforeseen changes, you're free to stay here for life.

The whole WP/visa thing really isn't that big a deal IMO, minor inconvenience at most.

Most readers here will be dead by then...lol

Seems too good to be true...Indo authorities (read: Indo men) are not very well disposed towards the bule..

I disagree with you entirely. Bahasa Indonesian is far easier to learn and master than Thai. I know, I speak both. I find it far more easy to make friends with Indonesian men and with the muslim lads I have NEVER had any scam or other such abuse of trust perpetrated on me.

On the other hand you have Thai men. After a raft of bad experiences over the last four years here in Thailand I have adopted a simply strategy. I have structured my life so that I deal with Thai men as little as is possible.

Good to hear.

It's not the same a Buddhist country where it is safe, Muslim majority in Indonesia for population 200 Miilions people and some church are been burn down and 1997 Indonesia Chinese have been killed and rape during Asia economy crisis, even it offer free for 100 years visa I don't even bother it.

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable holding a woman's hand in public, let alone living with an Indonesian woman, in a 90% Muslim dominated country.

Ridiculous statement.

If your Thai lady is a good girl she wouldn't be seen holding your hand in public either.

Edited by fatdrunkandstupid

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable holding a woman's hand in public, let alone living with an Indonesian woman, in a 90% Muslim dominated country.

Ridiculous statement.

If your Thai lady is a good girl she wouldn't be seen holding your hand in public either.

It was purely an example of extremes, which obviously you are unable to follow.

I've been here a long time and I can't think of one Thai person, female or male that I know, who would choose to live in a Muslim dominated country. Of course I don't know any people in Pattani,Yala or Narathiwat, where the case might be different.

Edited by uptheos

Not a big handholder, but I've had zero problems in public with ethnic Chinese women in both Indonesia and Malaysia - most people are far too busy getting on with their lives to worry about hardline crap.

Not a big handholder, but I've had zero problems in public with ethnic Chinese women in both Indonesia and Malaysia - most people are far too busy getting on with their lives to worry about hardline crap.

I'm extremely pleased for you, long may it continue.

Ridiculous statement.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/559819-whats-with-farangs-their-thai-gfs-holding-hands-all-the-time/

14 page thread on hand holding in Thailand.

Edited by thailiketoo

And why, pray tell, do I have to employ a maid?

Its the law. Creates employment.Plus,if I remember correctly from my time there, medical insurance is a must,by law.

Edited by aveabeeror2

Keep yourself wrapped in cotton wool and stay under your bed,safe.

When I figure out what your'e talking about I might respond, until then have another beer.

How are you enjoying your extended holiday?

Edited by uptheos

It's not the same a Buddhist country where it is safe, Muslim majority in Indonesia for population 200 Miilions people and some church are been burn down and 1997 Indonesia Chinese have been killed and rape during Asia economy crisis, even it offer free for 100 years visa I don't even bother it.

What percentage of Thais do you think are actually practising Buddhists? Thailand has a poor record for violence due to personal/business disputes, robbery, jealousy etc. Agree Thailand is generally safe for foreigners but you do have to have your wits about you, can't wander around with your 'eyes closed'. 24 UK female nationals alone required Embassy support due to reported sexual assaults in 2012.

Indo government has one of the best records of any country in the world for countering and supressing Islamic extremism. Remember the massacre of the PKI Communists in the mid 1960s? One of the worst areas for the killings was in Hindu, Bali. Time Magazine hailed the suppression of the PKI as 'the Wests best news for years in Asia".

What percentage of Thais do you think are actually practising Buddhists? Thailand has a poor record for violence due to personal/business disputes, robbery, jealousy etc. Agree Thailand is generally safe for foreigners but you do have to have your wits about you, can't wander around with your 'eyes closed'. 24 UK female nationals alone required Embassy support due to reported sexual assaults in 2012.

Indo government has one of the best records of any country in the world for countering and supressing Islamic extremism. Remember the massacre of the PKI Communists in the mid 1960s? One of the worst areas for the killings was in Hindu, Bali. Time Magazine hailed the suppression of the PKI as 'the Wests best news for years in Asia".

What is a practicing Buddhist?

They have not got it right yet....

So just one response; I am not going to indulge you in your often endless rounds of arguing your POV.

In the context of my post, following the teachings/guide of the "Eightfold Path".

So just one response; I am not going to indulge you in your often endless rounds of arguing your POV.

In the context of my post, following the teachings/guide of the "Eightfold Path".

I would suggest you learn something about Buddhism in Thailand before you make comments that pretend some knowledge in the area. 90% if Thais are practicing Thai Buddhists. You may not know what Thai Buddhism is.

For those members who are contemplating marrying a Thai girl to get an O visa, I would suggest that marrying an Indonesian girl is a much better option.

There has recently been legislation passed in Indonesia to improve the rights of those married to one of its citizens.

It is a FIVE YEAR visa with a five extensions for a total of 25 years stay.

Having a family friendly visa option like this still remains a distant dream for those married to a Thai.

Indonesia is not such a friendly place. Once you get over the morons wailing from towers all over the place 5 times a day you still have to deal with a very anachronistic population, rampant corruption and all the other beauties of the third world. Other than in Bali, foreigners cannot own property and even in Bali the title they get is a right to use ( Hak Guna) and not a right to possess (Hak Milik).

Stay here for FREE....you're joking right....

Everyone here, even those married for years with kids and a business are here on a STRICTLY user pays basis.

Oh and with the Indonesian visa, after the final fifth extentsion (25 years) you pay for another visa which can also be extended for 25 years...simple.

He said "free to stay" NOT "stay for free".

Read first. Think. Write slowly.