Newbie In Chiangmai

emogo

Hi EVeryone, I am a recent college graduate and just found out I have recieved a Fellowship in Chiangmai. I will be working with Burmese refugees within an organization called WEAVE. I am EXTREMLY excited but also getting alittle nervous. I was hoping I could recieve some information about living as an American/ ex-pat in Chiangmai. Any information about visa runs, medical stuff, food, bars/pubs etc would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in Advance!!!!

Hi EVeryone, I am a recent college graduate and just found out I have recieved a Fellowship in Chiangmai. I will be working with Burmese refugees within an organization called WEAVE. I am EXTREMLY excited but also getting alittle nervous. I was hoping I could recieve some information about living as an American/ ex-pat in Chiangmai. Any information about visa runs, medical stuff, food, bars/pubs etc would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in Advance!!!!

Well mate, first and foremost, welcome to TV (Thai Visa). I am not the most qualified perhaps to make recomendations to you, but I have been to Chiang Mai, and I will be living there myself from July.

Visa Runs to the Burmese (Myanmar) border looks pretty easy as a public bus can take you there! However, I myself am looking at teaming up with 2 more people to hire a car and driver one day a month to make the run. I think it would be much less of a chore that way, and not too much more expensive. You're welcome to join my run if you feel it worthwhile (but I'm not touting for business - I intend to make no money on this, just make the run a bit more comfortable!)

Medical Stuff - Well I have looked into both Medical Insurance for Ex-pats, and also Backpackers insurance in upto 2 year blocks, and the backpackers insurance is really good value. Unless you have an existing condition, it appears to be a great way to get medical, travel and mugging cover all in one. Expect a year to cost you about £170 (not sure in US), which is great value compared to the high cost of medical cover alone.

Food - Last time I was in Chiang Mai, you didn't want for much at all. All international tastes are catered for, but of course you pay a lot more for "Farang" fodder! Loads of great places to eat, you can't go far wrong.

Bars - I have extensive experience here!!! :o Its a great city with pretty much something for everyone. If you like live music you're laughing, if you want a bit of dance music you're laughing, if you want a reggae bar, and irish bar, an english style bar, a BBQ rib place, or anything you may desire, you will probably find something that fits the bill in this city.

Anyway, Welcome to TV, and welcome to Chaing Mai. My email is [email protected] if you want to email me direct. We could meet up and chat if you like. I arrive 1st July.

Phil