Ducati monster 795

JaiLai

Or maybe it is you getting faster with age:lol:

I think it is the other way around

As you get older what's fast gets achieved with a lower number tongue.png

I swear when I was younger 150mph/240kph was fast

These days 150kph/93 mph is fast ( or fast enough for this country smile.png )

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

It's fast enough in this country, too many consequences / variables to think about that you don't get back home! On this side of the world I only ever open the taps on malaysian roads (from roads ive ridden so far), it's like chalk n cheese across a 100 metre border!

• Like 1

hahass.

i see you mania.

but experience - old riders - is as important as reflexes - young riders.

i am 36 and getting faster every year.

look some of the tt racers. they are old and still they win!

the speed feeling you mentioned, it is all about Thailand.laugh.png

• Like 1

hahass.

i see you mania.

but experience - old riders - is as important as reflexes - young riders.

i am 36 and getting faster every year.

look some of the tt racers. they are old and still they win!

the speed feeling you mentioned, it is all about Thailand.laugh.png

Oh for sure but it is not ability that is diminishing with age

it is gaining in common sense on what conditions allow that has increased.

A closed course TT? For sure WFO 555

Thailand? hmmm I agree with B1ade wink.png

Edited by mania

Had my Monster 795 1.5 to 2 years done about 6000kms on it no problems so far.

Two services from Ducati Pattaya no issues with them.

Had to change the year tyre due to a puncture which kept going flat after a fix, but thats not really an issue.

Changed the seat to the touring seat which is way more comfortable!

Changed the indicators for small led ones, fitted a tail tidy for the number plate and crash bobbins etc

Ducati accessories are double the price in Thailand.

If you are visiting Europe or the USA buy them there and get Ducati to install them for you in Thailand.

I bought a box of bits they fitted the lot for 800 baht a lot better than sweating your ass off in the garage.

i had one for a couple of months ,wasnt particulary impressed ,if anything it felt slightly cramped ie get the feeling need to stretch the legs more often etc

went and bought a new versys ,upgraded the tires exhaust and brakes ,mirrors ,indictaors ,handguards so nearly the same price as stock ducatti

it doesnt have as much style / secks appeal as the ducatti but i havent met a girl yet who didnt like it or think it was cool biggrin.png

mechanically it was sound though ,im not sure why they get so many complaints (maybe somchai mechanics doing things their own way rather than following the manual ? )

• 4 weeks later...

i raced a ducati 795 down the super highway yesterday (he was tucked and i was tucked) on a cbr 250 with light mods...

he started hard, i pursued (didnt realize he wanted to race)...he kept looking back....surprisingly he could not get away, this went on from Jedyod intersection to next light. He started to pull away a little when he went into the underpass, but i caught back up on the upward slope.

on a longer road im sure he would have walked away.

a bit shocked. i thought it would be faster.

Seems he wasnt a real good rider; but on the other hand the 795/796 does have a really looooooong gearing.

Agree with Hili, I have been on a cbr 250, ninja 250 and 300. I got a 796 Hyper, 848 Corse SE and a 748R and obviously all of these would leave a 250 like it was tied to a lamp post ;) The Hyper is engine wise like the Monster

• Like 1

The 796 has the single swing arm, better wheels and bigger tires, nicer seat and upgraded handlebar I recall.

Correct, due to the bigger wheels (795 - 160 rear / 796 - 180 rear) the height of the bike i higher and seating position much better imo.

I can't really see the difference between the 795 and 796. The wheels are different and obviously the paint. Is there anything else ?

The 795 is a 696 with a 803cc 796 engine. It is only available in Asia to my knowledge. Don't know if this has anything to do with certification issues but I also believe the Ducati Corse which is a 796 made in Thailand is only available in Asia also. Both bikes have the same BHP and speed but the 796 has a SSSA ,wider wheels and is taller sharing the same frame with the 1100/1100EVO. The 1100 EVO has been discontinued since AUDI bought Ducati however the BHP difference to the 796 was negligible considering it had an extra 300cc's. The 796 is still made by Ducati because it is so popular and probably the best and most reliable Monster made, even in light of the new Monster 1200 which is aimed at mid-life crisis males. The 796 is a hooligan bike the 1200 isn't.

• Like 1

So have all you Ducatistas been to the new showroom on Pattaya Klang? I would have thought a new showroom opening would bring hordes of you down to 'Oooh and Aaah' at all the shiny red bikes! biggrin.png

• 10 months later...

It's Ducati's 'crazy' servicing prices again. I've just received a bill for 9148.73 Baht for a 6000 km/2 year service for my Monster 795. The items were as follows;

-Maintenance service 1020

- Battery check 170

- Nuts and bolts tightening 340

-Timing belts 680

-Shell oil 1308.44

-oil filter 551.40

- Rubber hoses (2) 429.90

- Belt x 2 4000

-screw x 2 56.08

-Washer x 1 28.04

VAT 600.87

I don't think I'm a cheap Charlie but their estimate was 3000 Baht and then I was presented with this bill a week later (as they kept the bike for a week as they'd cocked up my servicing time)

I'm interested to know if any other Ducati owners have similar stories.

Cheers

It's Ducati's 'crazy' servicing prices again. I've just received a bill for 9148.73 Baht for a 6000 km/2 year service for my Monster 795. The items were as follows;

- Battery check 170

-Timing belts 680

-Shell oil 1308.44

-oil filter 551.40

- Belt x 2 4000

-screw x 2 56.08

-Washer x 1 28.04

VAT 600.87

I don't think I'm a cheap Charlie but their estimate was 3000 Baht and then I was presented with this bill a week later (as they kept the bike for a week as they'd cocked up my servicing time)

Cheers

Your own fault if you let t hem change the timing belts after 6000km; i know some recommend to change them every 2 year but thats bs imo.

- Belt x 2 4000

BTW, alternative timing belts costs less than the half and in the end they are from the same supplier just no Ducati stamp on it.

- Battery check 170

-Timing belts 680

-Shell oil 1308.44

-oil filter 551.40

- Belt x 2 4000

-screw x 2 56.08

-Washer x 1 28.04

VAT 600.87

Cheers

Your own fault if you let t hem change the timing belts after 6000km; i know some recommend to change them every 2 year but thats bs imo.

- Belt x 2 4000

BTW, alternative timing belts costs less than the half and in the end they are from the same supplier just no Ducati stamp on it.

so it means Ducati service is screwing people by changing the belts - at 4000 thb for one c'mon! - at 6000 km now? or lets say even if the owner asked a change, they have to tell him that it is not necessary at 6000 km.

and they charged him another 680 thb for timing belts?

what about the 170 thb battery check? just putting a volt meter for a second or two costs 170 thb?

and 370 thb nut and bolts tightening? it needs to be really a very hard job:) and they charged the guy already 1020 thb for general maintenance.

i believe this list is a total rip off IMO. I think ducati cannot sell many bikes now so in return they earn their bread this way nowadays?

Was the "nuts and bolts tightening 340 thb" actually stated on the bill??facepalm.gif

Like that Ducati make themself look ridicilous, better make one: labour fee so at least you don't know you being overcharged with those seperate descriptions.

which actually they did and charged the guy 1020 thb as general maintenance and hard to understand the rest.

If i were 'big gun' i just go there now and demand some of the money back. and if they dont give, a quick visit to a court make them give at least some of your money back.

especially 8000 thb for two belts and 680 thb on top of that which it is not necessary to change them at 6000 km too.

god bless the ducati users. maybe the ones like hili with good connections get things done cheaper nicely but what about the others? they have to have standards.

for example bigwing have these lists hanged at their service place:

It states the exact prices of the services at each interval and what is changed or not. and it costs a total of 34,500 thb for 100,000 km, lets say 4 to 5 years of ownership so no hidden surprises apart from if a part is broken out of the list.

I think Ducati and other manufacturers have to prepare such a list too and show it before selling the bike or at least hang one to the service center so people know what is going on and they dont get a feeling of 'am i begin ripped of?'

if ducati cannot do it, it means they charge people according to their type or according to their greed and pleasure. farang, thai, rich, poor etc

post-184955-0-71821900-1403514963.jpg

post-184955-0-42201700-1403514964.jpg

Edited by ll2

Was the "nuts and bolts tightening 340 thb" actually stated on the bill??facepalm.gif

Like that Ducati make themself look ridicilous, better make one: labour fee so at least you don't know you being overcharged with those seperate descriptions.

which actually they did and charged the guy 1020 thb and hard to understand the rest.

If i were 'big gun' i just go there now and demand some of the money back. and if they dont give, a quick visit to a court make them give at least some of your money back.

especially 8000 thb for two belts and 680 thb on top of that which it is not necessary to change them at 600 km too.

IL2 the 4000thb for the belts was for 2. As mentioned the total is 9148.73. And yes the dealer should inform the customer what they want to do if its exceeding the plan as per maintenance schedule. You can't reflect this misbehavior to all Ducati dealers for example mine even called me to approve to fill up coolant. BTW which dealer is it? Pattaya? In the end this cant happen with all mechanics specially if they know the customer as no technical knowlegde they tend to charge funny things. But for sure for Ducatis its a bit more expensive but this is something everybody should be aware of when buying one...

What seems abit fishy here are the additional Mechnic charges for of each working step this should be covered in the general maintenance service charges.

• Like 1

I had a 795 for a bit over a year and the more I rode it the more I disliked it.

1. Cheap and nasty mirrors

2. Cheap and nasty suspension

3. Stupidly tall gearing

4. Mediocre engine mapping

5. Plastic fuel tank that deforms if you use gasohol

6. Shoddy dealer servicing and attitude (Thonglor)

I was so glad to see the back of the thing.

Sure Ducati make some good bikes but the 795 is not one of them.

As a Ducati owner I regularly receive emails from Ducati inquiring about how satisfied I am with the bike, service, etc. and I'm sure that other Ducati owners do also. I would be sure and report the overcharging for service, the price seems a little ridiculous to me. IMO if you report it they will probably do something to rectify the situation.

• 5 years later...

I'm thinking of picking up a used 795 as a lightly used bit of fun bike.

Are there any other long term owners that have positive or negative experiences?

How are the on going costs of services? 

Are they generally reliable? 

How often do the belts need to be changed?

Are there any other big scheduled services dues every xx,xxxkms?

"5. Plastic fuel tank that deforms if you use gasohol"

Is this hyperbole, and using gasohol 91 or 95 is no problem long term?

Ducati dropped the Plastic tank a few years ago on all new models as it is a true disaster ,,Gasohol   is terrible stuff, I own 4 Ducatis mine are  all older steel tank models but from servicing other peoples plastic tank ones I have seen so many issues I would never own any bike with plastic tank .  Gasohol eventually also damages steel, aluminium, brass , copper parts   95 Gasohol is tolerable with correct servicing and additives to protect fuel system    Pure Benzine is

best ,, all other E10 E 20  91   are bad

7 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

all other E10 E 20  91   are bad

Gasohol 91 and 95 have the same amount of alcohol (5%). 91 is bad for another reason for Ducatis: premature ignition due to not enoigh octane to sustain the heat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

Gasohol 91 and 95 have the same amount of alcohol (5%). 91 is bad for another reason for Ducatis: premature ignition due to not enoigh octane to sustain the heat.

Gasohol 91 and 95 have the same amount of alcohol (10%).

• Like 1

On 2/17/2015 at 1:22 PM, Big Guns said:

Thanks for the comments particularly the guys about the servicing costs. It gives me some ammunition when Ducati call me. I haven't picked up the bike or paid the bill yet. I won't get chance to go to Pattaya until Friday.

Good luck, Big Guns. 

I hope you get the satisfaction you seek.

Please get back to us with a report on the outcome.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, papa al said:

Gasohol 91 and 95 have the same amount of alcohol (10%).

Argh yes! Haha. But the main point stands ????

17 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Good luck, Big Guns. 

I hope you get the satisfaction you seek.

Please get back to us with a report on the outcome.

I guess 6 years would be enough time for a review ????

• Haha 2