Welcome to the Party - Come On @ Cha-Am

Welcome to the Party - Come On @ Cha-Am

DSCN7206.jpg

Cha-Am has a new venue for live music. It’s near the beach (but without neighbours to upset), it can accommodate big performances (but also great for quieter, individual performers) and allows for both open air and under-cover events.

‘Come On @ Cha-Am’ is just a great place to enjoy live music!

Although there has been a live band playing on the smaller stage for some time, on Sunday 23rd February, Hin Lek Fai ( English: Stone, Metal, Fire), performed on the big stage to give a crowd of passionate fans some memorable moments of high energy Thai Rock ‘N’ Roll.

Pathompong Sombatpiboon (AKA Pong Hin Lek Fai) has long been one of the faces of Thai heavy metal as the leader of the legendary 90’s rock band Hin Lek Fai. He is now in his 50’s and has been entertaining Thai rock fans for more than 30 years. From a conservative Thai family, Khun Pong commented that “my parents objected to me being a musician but that didn’t bother me”.

His influences are described as Deep Purple, Queen and Black Sabbath although when I spoke to him after the concert, he also mentioned The Rolling Stones amongst his early favourites.

His songs reminded me of a time when a heavy beat, a wailing lead guitar and long hair were in fashion. In the words of one song, the band was there to ‘welcome everyone to the party’. This was good-time music, including an invitation for dancers to join him on stage for the final song or two.

There are more concerts coming soon. Perhaps next time rock ‘n’ roll fans of foreign extraction will also join the party. I was the only non-Thai to hear Hin Lek Fai in action at this concert. I often think that there is a certain ‘snobbish’ attitude by foreigners to Thai Rock. When the performances are of this standard, you don’t have to recognise the songs or understand the lyrics to really enjoy the music.

Where: At the very southern end of Chao Lai Road. By day it just looks like just another small bar/restaurant, but by night it rocks! Check out the next concert date on posters at the venue.

hh2d.jpg
-- Hua Hin Today 2014-03-03