Hua Hin High Speed Train Proposal Prepared

RoberttheBruce wouldn't care for it - it could be a French HST. They link most of the big cities and have done so for a long time.

I went to Penang recently and the Malaysians are almost completely ready for it. The lines and the new stations.

Was that from KL? Can you go direct to Penang from KLIA?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been working on the project in malaysia for 5 years and i can tell you they are not ready for what we have built for them , we basically ripped out what the British started 100 years ago and built at 140kph narrow gauge railway.

There's high speed and there's high speed , Technically anything 200- 220 KPH , The bullet type 300kph plus only really in Germany ,Japan , France , Taiwan and China (Last 10 years not2 as posted before) , not so sure about Spain

Its the technology leap and expense if you got to the real high speed stuff that causes the problems

Spain Dave, quite an extensive network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVE

Ive been working on the project in malaysia for 5 years and i can tell you they are not ready for what we have built for them , we basically ripped out what the British started 100 years ago and built at 140kph narrow gauge railway.

I don't like the sound of narrow gauge.

RoberttheBruce wouldn't care for it - it could be a French HST. They link most of the big cities and have done so for a long time.

I went to Penang recently and the Malaysians are almost completely ready for it. The lines and the new stations.

Metro To kl central them Kl to Butterworth , when the project is complete it will be about 4 hours. I live in Penang funny enough

I don't like the sound of narrow gauge.

No its not great again technically on 1 metre gauge 180 is high speed , they throw the word about and it covers a host of different options and cost. I saw one of the High speed projects in Thailand was BKK to Hat Yai, which makes no sense as it will join up to Malaysia's narrow gauge , which is why Im quite skeptical about most of it

Was unaware of the network in Spain have been in this part of the world working for 12 years

Metro To kl central them Kl to Butterworth , when the project is complete it will be about 4 hours. I live in Penang funny enough

Thanks, I'm thinking of going to Penanag for my non imm o visa, might be the way to go via KLIA / KL Central and make into a week long break.

Thanks, I'm thinking of going to Penanag for my non imm o visa, might be the way to go via KLIA / KL Central and make into a week long break.

You might have to change trains at Ipoh as thats where the 20th century Railway stops and Your on the diesel train again, should be full electric service all the way up to Thailand by June this year

I didn't go anywhere near KL. I was going from Bangkok and I meant the line from Padang Besar to Butterworth. At the moment the stations are like ghost stations.

I understood that they haven't decided on whose TGV they are interested in.

Mr Chula and his colleagues is earning good money conducting these surveys.

I really hope this project never takes place in Thailand.

As is it not enough hearing about the road killings, we will be hearing death on a massive scale if Thais take in their hands a fast speed train.

Thailand is perfectly capable of running a high speed train network, just as Thailand is perfectly capable of operating airports, both international airports and smaller regional airports.

A high speed train network will save countless lifes from the traffic it removes from overcrowded highways.

Not afraid at all for Thais to operate the HST but based on personal experiences I would not trust them for one minute to properly maintain the entire system.

• Like 1

I didn't go anywhere near KL. I was going from Bangkok and I meant the line from Padang Besar to Butterworth. At the moment the stations are like ghost stations.

I understood that they haven't decided on whose TGV they are interested in.

North of Penang there is no Major city , Alor Star is about the biggest. It appears to have been a massive exercise in spending Tax payers Money for the benefit of construction companies

As somebody mentioned on here the maintenance will be a huge problem as was/is quality. The money spent on High speeds is mainly to ensure durability , 80 year 100 year lifetime of asset, that will not happen in this part of the worlds no maintenance culture. It could be of great benefit but I doubt it will earn what it has cost , 16 Billion Ringit for Pedang basar (Thailand) to Ipoh , about 350 k , how many schools and hospitals and trained doctors and nurses for that kind of money

Thailand is perfectly capable of running a high speed train network, just as Thailand is perfectly capable of operating airports, both international airports and smaller regional airports.

You mean like the recently built one in BKK that's already over-used for its size, the one that had crumbling runways due to slipshod construction, the one that lacked enough and working restrooms to serve patrons because the space had been illegally given over to concessionaires, the one where tourist touts and taxi mafias are endemic, etc etc etc.

With all that as qualifications, I can't wait to take a ride on the spiffy future Thai high-speed train, especially on the heavily used Bangkok to Phitsanulok route. tongue.png

• Like 1

..what a pathetic joke.......

....every project presented by this government.....

...has seen lots, lots, lots of money allocated.....

....flooding....roads....rice.........

....and nothing, nothing, nothing completed......

That money helps keep the BMW and Mercedes dealers in business. Redistribution of wealth Thai Style.

Sent from my very clever thingy that uses battery far too quickly

Edited by bushman1666

High Speed rail makes sense for commerce, but initial proposals include non commercial destinations. Don't consider tourism, as Western Retirees bring in 10 times as much money as all the tourists and they aren't here for the girls of the resorts.

A roadbed, with some tracks and a highway already exists tru Korat, Udon Thani, Vientienne and into China - an obvious commercial route, but plans are to build the first High Speed rail to ChiangMai. Nothing worth much in Chiang Mai, except good weather.

YEP, T.I.T. where Western 'Common Sense' doesn't apply...

• Like 1

I say go for it. It's an investment in the future, as are most expensive infrastructure projects around the world. Will eventually connect to the Chinese (big investors in the project) and other proposed SE Asian HS rail networks. Get with the future folks. Don't be negative thinking dinosaurs all of your lives.

Since a high-speed rail system is usually elevated to avoid grade crossing with vehicular traffic, would there need to be substantial land appropriation to accommodate such new tracks, or are there sufficient easements on the existing rail lines? If land appropriation is needed, that apparently can be a lengthy process. It was quoted as a reason for a significant amount of the delay of widening the road between Pattaya and Jomtien. That seemingly simple project took what, five years?

The project of high speeding flying pigs? Still on the road-map?

Here is sample of everyones favorite (lol) trying to get "Pigs to Fly"..... Wish her luck!

Edited by davidstipek

You need to learn to walk before you run, and Thai train system can't walk yet. This is about as blatant an example of the elite squandering resources so they can get to their weekend get aways quicker. It will not aid in development along the route: quite the oppposite (trains will just fly by, right?). Transport goods? Is Hua Hin some sort of Samut Phrakan style industrial area? I was hoping the political unrest might deep six this assine project, but seems to have a life of it's own.

As is it not enough hearing about the road killings, we will be hearing death on a massive scale if Thais take in their hands a fast speed train.

Rubbish, do you think projects like these are set up and executed by Somchai & Sons Ltd? This would be a multi national project with expertise pooled from all over. The Chinese and Taiwan have managed similar why can't the Thais. I know China had an accident but the 2 single biggest HST accidents have been with Germany's ICE system and more recently in Spain. I would love to see Thailand with a similar network. I've used the HST's in Europe and it's far less stressfull than flying.

There is just this one little problem..........its called maintenance.

Rubbish, do you think projects like these are set up and executed by Somchai & Sons Ltd? This would be a multi national project with expertise pooled from all over. The Chinese and Taiwan have managed similar why can't the Thais. I know China had an accident but the 2 single biggest HST accidents have been with Germany's ICE system and more recently in Spain. I would love to see Thailand with a similar network. I've used the HST's in Europe and it's far less stressfull than flying.

There is just this one little problem..........its called maintenance.

I worked on The Taiwan High speed and 2 High speed projects in China. Both systems are supposedly low maintenance but that is only if you built them with adequate and proper quality control . Taiwan saw a mass influx of ex-pats who remained for maintenance , China had ex-pats in "Consultancy " roles who , other than writing a report on the ongoing quality of the works , were powerless to intervene in headlong rush for production metre's . The outcome of this will be the railway falling apart and becoming a liability in the future as it will no longer be "Low Maintenance"

Thailand is nowhere near being ready for a true High speed railway , look at what they have and think of a 100 years hike in technology. A double track 140-180K project would be sufficient

Sit quietly for a minute. Empty your mind. Now picture THAT train SPEEDING through Thailand. Any luck?

I see many dead at level crossings, and many bar girls telling current b/f that grandmothers cow was killed by speeding train that didn't stop shock1.gifcrying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gif

mono-rails, nuclear power, light rail ... all money losers that private investors - expecting a return on their money - will never get into ... it will be a PPP (private public partnership) with the public (tax-payers) stuck with one - white - elephant Thailand does not need ... the private consortium will have skipped off with any profits ...

This rail system would be a God send! Do you "haters" and "sewer mouths" posting negative replies understand the economics of this plan? EVERYTHING IN THAILAND WILL GET BETTER IF WE HAVE THIS RAIL SYSTEM! The overall quality of life will be raised to a degree that Thai's and Farlang alike have never known here. We have family in Hua Hin and I know for sure that I would love to pop down there on the weekends and pop back up north as to get to work on Monday. Trains like this will push Thailand into the realm of a functioning 1st world country. Slowly, but it will. Hey, it's a start and a damn good one if they can bring it to fruition. I am hoping for the best.