What Do You Think Of The House?

Ulysses G.

I find it interesting that we are so hard on establishments that try to sell foreign food for a reasonable price with our restaurant recomendations, but no one mentions places like The House which are WAY more expensive, but not much better quality-wise. I think that The Duke's has better food than The House, and at a fraction of the price.

Seems to me that expensive places like The House are getting a free ride. What do you think? :o

At one time, it seemed that some of us were enthralled with it, but I always thought that it was a pretentious, rip-off. I only ate there because I was so bored with all the old restaurants.

With all the new - less expensive - places to eat, I wonder if The House fans are still so enamored with it. :o

I like The House. I like the innovative 'fusion' dishes, and I like that everything about the place is NOT pretentious.. It's quite homey actually, in a stylish way. And I like that they have several cosy dining rooms in various sizes. And I like that they go out of their way to make special occasions more special and personal.

When I think 'pretentious' then places like the Coq d'Or and some hotel restaurants come to mind, with penguins for waiters. Check again how the staff at The House dress and act.

I think the place is spot on for special occasions. But for down to earth Western food done well, Duke's is a solid choice. I can't really compare the two at all.

Cheers,

Chanchao

I like The House. I like the innovative 'fusion' dishes, and I like that everything about the place is NOT pretentious.. It's quite homey actually, in a stylish way. And I like that they have several cosy dining rooms in various sizes. And I like that they go out of their way to make special occasions more special and personal.

When I think 'pretentious' then places like the Coq d'Or and some hotel restaurants come to mind, with penguins for waiters. Check again how the staff at The House dress and act.

I think the place is spot on for special occasions. But for down to earth Western food done well, Duke's is a solid choice. I can't really compare the two at all.

Cheers,

Chanchao

When I say "pretentious", I am talking about the food, not the atmosphere, which I find quite pleasant.

To me, The House is trying to masquerade as a "gourmet" restaurant, but just doesn't have the very high quality ingredients it takes to pull it off.

They make do with what they have, serve tiny portions and tack on a higher price tag, while pretending to be better than they are. Some of the food is pretty good, but it is mostly priced about twice what they would be anywhere else.

There are a few decent dishes that aren't over-priced. However, I hate having limit myself to them to feel that I - kind of - got my moneys worth.

The reason that I compare them to the Duke's is that many of The Duke's specials are dishes that would fit in well at The House, but his portions are 5 times as big and his prices are about a third of what they would be over there.

IMHO :o

> where is 'the house'? do they have a website?

It's on Moon Muang road, well North of Thapae Gate in between sois 7 and 9. (But on the main road long the moat. It's a big old house with parking in front; you can't really miss it.)

Phone: 053 419 011

Couldn't find a website that works.. (This one doesn't work currently for me http://www.livingspacedesigns.com/venues/the_house.html , then there's this 'review' http://www.frommers.com/destinations/chiangmai/D54056.html which is a bit of a yadda-yadda-blurb kind of text you'd expect in a local tourist magazine rag more than a Frommers guide.. (Or any guide).

Cheers,

Chanchao

> nothing beats eating in my own house. has anyone

> realized that at least 50% of the CMI forum is made

> up of things concerning food?

This forum is what you make it.. Feel free to discuss non-food related topics. :o

This forum is what you make it.. Feel free to discuss non-food related topics. :o

Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity. ~ Voltaire

Edible, adj.: Good to eat, and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a toad, a toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm. ~ Ambrose Bierce

One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating. ~Luciano Pavarotti and William Wright, Pavarotti, My Own Story

I firmly believe that those who do not enjoy food, the consumption of and conversation about, are unable to enjoy life. ~ p1p

Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity. ~ Voltaire

Edible, adj.: Good to eat, and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a toad, a toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm. ~ Ambrose Bierce

One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating. ~Luciano Pavarotti and William Wright, Pavarotti, My Own Story

I firmly believe that those who do not enjoy food, the consumption of and conversation about, are unable to enjoy life. ~ p1p

oh boy. maybe i should have included a smiley after my post. i did mean it in a good way though. that yes we do spend a lot of time talking about food and hey i do enjoy posts about food in chiang mai. oh well. hmmmmm

This forum is what you make it.. Feel free to discuss non-food related topics. :D

oh boy. maybe i should have included a smiley after my post. i did mean it in a good way though. that yes we do spend a lot of time talking about food and hey i do enjoy posts about food in chiang mai. oh well. hmmmmm

I could care less where to buy a screwdriver, or which hotel or health club is the best deal for tourists or the other drab fare that passes for topics on the Chiang Mai forum.

Food is about the interest I have that I won't get banned for, and a lot of other people seem interested too.

Let us be! :o

This forum is what you make it.. Feel free to discuss non-food related topics. :D

I could care less where to buy a screwdriver, or which hotel or health club is the best deal for tourists or the other drab fare that passes for topics on the Chiang Mai forum.

Food is about the interest I have that I won't get banned for, and a lot of other people seem interested too.

Let us be! :o

you've made your point loud and clear people. now lets not get too hyper sensitive about it.

Strange attitude to adopt, why bother posting at all :o

I enjoy the House and it's setting, and a great pity there are not more of the same ilk around Chiangmai.

Think I have better pics than these somewhere else, but anyways..:

post-6796-1149048003_thumb.jpg post-6796-1149048022_thumb.jpg

post-6796-1149048041_thumb.jpg post-6796-1149048058_thumb.jpg

Chanchao,

I too enjoy The House. They create a really warm and comfortable atmospere and they have many interesting dishes in their menu.

In that picture you posted with condements for the bread, there is a pinkish butter spread which is awsome. I spend a lot of time trying to figure it out but haven't go it yet.

To the OP, you may not get value from what The House offers, obviously big portions are your priority. If that's what you're after, Duke's is a good choice.

To the OP, you may not get value from what The House offers, obviously big portions are your priority. If that's what you're after, Duke's is a good choice.

Sorry, but this is not correct. I've eaten - a few times - in GREAT nouvelle cuisine places in San Francisco where I paid $200 per person for very small portions of very expensive foods that were exquisite and I didn't mind a bit paying for extraordinary food, but the Duke's quality is often just as good - or better - as the House, with much bigger portions and much lower prices and that just doesn't add up in my book.

You know what P.T. Barnum had to say about suckers? That's how I feel when I pay the bill at The House! :o

:D

Edited by Ulysses G.

Sorry, but this is not correct. I've eaten - a few times - in GREAT nouvelle cuisine places in San Francisco where I paid $200 per person for very small portions of very expensive foods that were exquisite and I didn't mind a bit paying for extraordinary food, but the Duke's quality is often just as good - or better - as the House, with much bigger portions and much lower prices and that just doesn't add up in my book.

You know what P.T. Barnum had to say about suckers? That's how I feel when I pay the bill at The House! :o

Why do you keep going then? :D

Am I missing something? Do they sell ribs and pizza at The House? Has The Duke started a new range of fusion foods? I don't really get the comparision.

You know what P.T. Barnum had to say about suckers? That's how I feel when I pay the bill at The House! :D

Am I missing something? Do they sell ribs and pizza at The House? Has The Duke started a new range of fusion foods? I don't really get the comparision.

:o:D:D Thank you.

nothing beats eating in my own house. has anyone realized that at least 50% of the CMI forum is made up of things concerning food?

It may be just part of the 'retired brain' syndrome...when getting the morning newspaper, checking your mail and having a daily shower prior to going out to eat another meal prepared by strangers is the sum total of your daily existance. The really wild fellows play golf.

Hey........maybe this is why so many expats jump off their balconies ?

.......Ken

You know what P.T. Barnum had to say about suckers? That's how I feel when I pay the bill at The House! :D

Number one, I don't go to the house any more.

Number two, the House's menu (last time I went there) is not all "fusion". It contains many common things like steak and pork chops, mashed potatoes and chicken, served in very small portions that are supposed to be of higher quality than lesser priced restaurants, but they really aren't.

Sometimes a side dish or an entre' will be something "innovative" or unusual, but the same is equally true at The Duke's. The House has more fusion food, but not a heck of a lot.

In short, they are both restaraunts serving a lot of simular types and quality of food, but The Duke's portions are 5 times bigger and his prices are a third less.

Get it now kid? :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

> In that picture you posted with condements for the bread, there is

> a pinkish butter spread which is awsome. I spend a lot of time trying

> to figure it out but haven't go it yet.

It's more orangy actually? Always assumed it involved mixing in a tomato sauce, perhaps pumpkin.. who knows.

And P1p you've never been!!! You should try it sometimes.. I even like it just for the feeling you have when walking out the door: Relaxed, satisfied & recharged, but not bloated like you get sometimes with fancy extended dinners. It's the only place in town where I personally feel 'going out to dinner' is an enjoyable form of entertainment for an evenening in itself, not just a fill-up prior to hitting the town.

> Am I missing something? Do they sell ribs and pizza at The House? Has

> The Duke started a new range of fusion foods? I don't really get the

> comparision.

:o Very good summary. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

Number two, the House's menu (last time I went there) is not all "fusion". It contains many common things like steak and pork chops, mashed potatoes and chicken, served in very small portions that are supposed to be of higher quality than lesser priced restaurants, but they really aren't.

Sometimes a side dish or an entre' will be something "innovative" or unusual, but the same is equally true at The Duke's. The House has more fusion food, but not a heck of a lot.

In short, they are both restaraunts serving a lot of simular types and quality of food, but The Duke's portions are 5 times bigger and his prices are a third less.

Not really - maybe I'm being dumb. Look at The House, look at The Dukes. The Dukes is just a converted townhouse, the House has it's own grounds - I would presume that would effect the price as well. I like The Dukes food, I didn't like my visit to The House - I just think comparing them is pointless.

If you wanted to compare The Dukes with The Chiang Mai Saloon, then I could get it. Or perhaps The House with Le Coq d'Or - just because they have some similar items at similar prices doesn't mean they fall into the same category of restaurant.

Would you have compared Burger King with The Dukes? They both sell similar items, simliar prices...

Not really - maybe I'm being dumb. Look at The House, look at The Dukes. The Dukes is just a converted townhouse, the House has it's own grounds - I would presume that would effect the price as well. I like The Dukes food, I didn't like my visit to The House - I just think comparing them is pointless.

If you wanted to compare The Dukes with The Chiang Mai Saloon, then I could get it. Or perhaps The House with Le Coq d'Or - just because they have some similar items at similar prices doesn't mean they fall into the same category of restaurant.

Would you have compared Burger King with The Dukes? They both sell similar items, simliar prices...

Excellent reply :D

I'm keepin out of this one :D

All of these are restaurants. Who cares about what they call themselves? Who cares about hype?

Who cares if the House has a bigger parking lot - I mean grounds?

I certainly would compare The Dukes and Burger King and Le Cog d'or's hamburgers and it's price if they all had them, but The Duke's and The House and Le Cog d'or all sell steaks and pork chops and roast chicken and mash potatoes and Burger King doesn't.

I wouldn't pay 300 baht for the exact same hamburger as Burger King at another place because it has a fancy French name although I might pay 150 with a much better atmosphere, but the Duke's atmosphere is pretty much the same as The House, other than the "grounds" - I mean parking lot - and of course, the fact that the Duke's is right on the river, so why such a difference in price for very simular food?

If you say that you can't see that The Duke's is selling almost the same steak dinner as The House but with MUCH larger portions and at a MUCH lower price, but with virtually no difference in atmosphere, I have to think that you are just winding me up.

If not, I've got a 'fusion" bridge to sell you. :o