What Do You Think Of The House?

Ulysses G.

I know I said I would not say anything but....put it this way...You would not take your Wife for a romantic candlelit dinner at The Duke's...whereas you would The House.

You would be a cheapskate taking her to The Duke's..no offence to that particular establishment at all.....I bet you could get a table at Valentine's at The Duke's no problems...The House was booked well in advance..I know

I am not saying the House is better than The Duke's or vice verca..they cater for different occassions and the amount of Baht you have in your pocket dictates where you can afford to dine IMHO. The food is great at The Duke's..but I have not taken my Wife there, wheras we have been to The House on several occassions for a romantic night out, reminds me of the "High End" restaurants in The UK

You PAY for the location, which is one of the reasons The House charges more. I do not agree that The Duke's is just a converted townhouse by the way...I have seen the Upper Floors and they are very nice.. and hey who gives a toss if it was a converted townhouse anyway..you should see what the are converting in London from old Warehouses in run down areas and selling broom cupboard size flats at over a million quid a pop

I have not been 100% satisfied with the food at The House on some occassions, wheras I can not fault the food at The Duke's at all.

But its Horses for Courses and THAT'S the difference.

Not really - maybe I'm being dumb. Look at The House, look at The Dukes. The Dukes is just a converted townhouse, the House has it's own grounds - I would presume that would effect the price as well. I like The Dukes food, I didn't like my visit to The House - I just think comparing them is pointless.

If you wanted to compare The Dukes with The Chiang Mai Saloon, then I could get it. Or perhaps The House with Le Coq d'Or - just because they have some similar items at similar prices doesn't mean they fall into the same category of restaurant.

Would you have compared Burger King with The Dukes? They both sell similar items, simliar prices...

All of these are restaurants. Who cares about what they call themselves? Who cares about hype?

Who cares if the House has a bigger parking lot - I mean grounds?

I certainly would compare The Dukes and Burger King and Le Cog d'or's hamburgers and it's price if they all had them, but The Duke's and The House and Le Cog d'or all sell steaks and pork chops and roast chicken and mash potatoes and Burger King doesn't.

I wouldn't pay 300 baht for the exact same hamburger as Burger King at another place because it has a fancy French name although I might pay 150 with a much better atmosphere, but the Duke's atmosphere is pretty much the same as The House, other than the "grounds" - I mean parking lot - and of course, the fact that the Duke's is right on the river, so why such a difference in price for very simular food?

If you say that you can't see that The Duke's is selling almost the same steak dinner as The House but with MUCH larger portions and at a MUCH lower price, but with virtually no difference in atmosphere, I have to think that you are just winding me up.

If not, I've got a 'fusion" bridge to sell you. :o

To start with The Dukes is not "right on the river". The Good View and Riverside are - you can enjoy a meal with candlelight reflecting of the ripples. The Dukes has a dirty big road running alongside it.

Further to that, surely I can express a contrary opinion without being accused of winding anyone up - something that I don't do - 600 odd posts should comfirm that...

I took my first Chiang Mai good girl to the house to eat about a century ago. Not really but that’s how it seems to me now. She brought her male cousin with her as was expected and we had a charming dinner. The chaperone ordered the most expensive thing on the menu and she the next most expensive and a bottle of wine to boot.

The tab came to the same as my hotel bill for a week and I was not staying at a cheap place.

I walked past the Spotlight on my way home shaking my head.

It is not that I am cheap but I can decorate a plate with squirt bottles of sauce and don’t get orgasmic over it.

Maybe I am just turning too much Thai.

I’d go back to the House if any of my globetrotting daughters actually show up in Chiang Mai or I entertain royalty from any place except the Middle East.

However I think the likelihood of either of those things happening is remote.

It has been my experience having been there a few times for cocktails that they could quadruple their business and double their profits by trying to clear 25% instead of 50% but who am I to argue with an institution.

I could care less where to buy a screwdriver, or which hotel or health club is the best deal for tourists or the other drab fare that passes for topics on the Chiang Mai forum.

Strange attitude to adopt, why bother posting at all :o

I enjoy the House and it's setting, and a great pity there are not more of the same ilk around Chiangmai.

Anyone remember back about 11-12 years ago maybe, when no one would go near the place because of there being bad spirits there. Was interested in opening a restaurant there and could not get anyone to show the place to me. The closest any Thai would get to the place was the Samlor Drivers parking at night under the high roof garage that used to be there. The Pee kept all predators away I guess.

So now that the incense and ginger have been burned, all is ok'

You were around back then MM , do you remember how long the place was vacant?

Gonzo

Anyone remember back about 11-12 years ago maybe, when no one would go near the place because of there being bad spirits there. Was interested in opening a restaurant there and could not get anyone to show the place to me. The closest any Thai would get to the place was the Samlor Drivers parking at night under the high roof garage that used to be there. The Pee kept all predators away I guess.

So now that the incense and ginger have been burned, all is ok'

You were around back then MM , do you remember how long the place was vacant?

Gonzo

A weird set up Gonzo, and never really got to the bottom of it, I think it had something to do with a death in SP House just round the corner, which related to the former owners, and yes, it was empty for quite some time...

I remember when The House used to look like a deserted embassy or mansion before someone turned it in to a restaurant. What a lovely building.

One thing that baffles me is, why did The House get rid of the nice grass lawn and put in a gravel parking lot? :o

One thing that baffles me is, why did The House get rid of the nice grass lawn and put in a gravel parking lot? :D

I would have thought that patently clear. It doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes to figure it out.

You obviously don't own a truck or car. Ever tried getting out of a grass car park in the rainy season :o

One thing that baffles me is, why did The House get rid of the nice grass lawn and put in a gravel parking lot? :D

I would have thought that patently clear. It doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes to figure it out.

You obviously don't own a truck or car. Ever tried getting out of a grass car park in the rainy season :o

I've never seen more that a few cars parked there, but they made the WHOLE yard a big ugly parking lot that looks like <deleted>, Sherlock.

They should have left some nice green grass. :D

I've never seen more that a few cars parked there, but they made the WHOLE yard a big ugly parking lot that looks like <deleted>, Sherlock.

They should have left some nice green grass. :o

If it bothers you that much UG I'll ask them tonight if they can put some of the grass back. I'm sure they'll consider it....

They should have left some nice green grass. :o

If it bothers you that much UG I'll ask them tonight if they can put some of the grass back. I'm sure they'll consider it....

Darned decent of you old chap! :D