Three students die in Cha Am beach tragedy

Three students die in Cha Am beach tragedy

Cha Am:-- Three eighteen year old students drowned, and another was left fighting for her life after coming into difficulty in deep waters at Naresuan beach in Cha Am, Phetchaburi.

The incident occurred on Monday when it is believed a group of 9 students were swept out to sea after being struck by a large wave. All 9 students were brought back to shore after emergency personnel were dispatched to begin the rescue operation, with the most seriously injured taken to nearby Cha Am hospital for treatment.

Tragically, one girl, 18, died whilst being taken to hospital and two male student, also 18, died some time later after doctors were unable to save them. A fourth student remains in intensive care.

The victims were part of a group of 270 students from Siam Technology College who were on a school outing to celebrate their graduation.

The bodies of the deceased are due to be transferred to Bangkok for religious ceremonies.

tvn.png
-- 2014-03-04

Bodies of Naresuan Camp accident victims returned to Bangkok

BANGKOK 4 March 2014 (NNT) — Bodies of Siam Technology College students who drowned in Naresuan Camp beach accident will be brought back home to Bangkok.

Emergency personnel were dispatched to help the victims of a beach accident, which left 3 dead and close to a dozen injured. The victims were on a school graduation celebration trip at Naresuan Camp, Hua Hin, Prachuap Khiri Khan Province when the accident occurred.

Some of the victims, 2 male and 10 female students from Siam Technology College, were found choking on seawater while others unconscious after an unexpected giant wave swept them off their feet and into deep waters.

The bodies of the deceased have been recovered and will be brought back to the capital for religious ceremonies. Students who survived the ordeal are now preparing to return to Bangkok as well.

xnntlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rqyBfPGGLw.web
-- NNT 2014-03-04

3 College Students Killed By Cha-Am Waves
By Khaosod English

CHA-AM: -- 3 colleague students have drowned in the sea at the resort town of Cha-Am, Petchaburi province.

The police were initially alerted about the incident at around 14.50 today and proceeded to rescue 9 victims in the sea. One of them died at the scene, while 2 others passed away later at hospital.

The rest of the victims were sent Hua Hin Hospital. 5 of them are reported to be in stable condition, but one person is still under intensive care at the hospital.

The dead are identified by the police as Ms. Ponnapa Boonchanta, Ms. Jirapon Namueangsap, and Ms. Monsicha Jaisuk.

According to the police, all of the victims were students from Siam Dhurakit Technolocal College who were celebrating their graduation in Cha-Am prior to the incident. The students were said to be preparing for a party in the evening, while 11 of them decided to go swimming in the sea, but encountered particularly strong waves.

Two of the students managed to swim away to safety but the rest were swallowed by the large waves, police said.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU16a3lOekUxT1E9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-03-04

What a tragic turn of events. My condolences to the families affected.

However, I am not terribly surprised as the "No Fail Policy" in the Thai education system even extends to swimming class. I guess that many people believe they can swim proficiently as they "passed" swimming.

Such a waste of young lives.

• Like 2

Any parents thai or farang would be lost and lonely tonight . our hearts grieve with them as most have us have survived our teen years. As Dave Allen the Irish comedian would say: whatever your religion may your god go with you. Your children live with you in your memories, no one can take those away.

• Like 1

From graduation festivities and joy together to attending funerals..... life can be very cruel.

RIP Youngsters, you were 18 years old, you always will be....

Strength to the survivors, to accept this tragedy and to pick up life again.

Any parents thai or farang would be lost and lonely tonight . our hearts grieve with them as most have us have survived our teen years. As Dave Allen the Irish comedian would say: whatever your religion may your god go with you. Your children live with you in your memories, no one can take those away.

These 3 girls had there all lives to live but were snuffed out in a flash .

Sure I would like to live forever but as a expat here I drink too much and at 59 realise the best years are far behind me .

If I could exchange my life for theirs I would give it up tomorrow, as I have wasted most of mine

• Like 1

What a tragic turn of events. My condolences to the families affected.

However, I am not terribly surprised as the "No Fail Policy" in the Thai education system even extends to swimming class. I guess that many people believe they can swim proficiently as they "passed" swimming.

Such a waste of young lives.

Of all the local Thai people I've met and known over the years, very very few had even the remotest ability to swim. I've always been surprised by that.

Many Thais' idea of "swimming" seems to be to walk/wade into the ocean and play/stand/sit on the sand near the shore as the waves wash in.

I can swim perfectly proficiently, but these days, the last thing I want to do is go frolicking in the heavily polluted waters along the Thai coastlines. Safer to stay on the shore.

after last weeks bus crash involving children from a school where there were teachers on board shouldn't they be made to take some responsibility,where there any teachers with this outing,according to a news channel the red flags were flying warning not to enter the sea.

or is it once your children leave their home THEY ARE ON THEIR OWN.

Very Sad, since all children should be taught how to swim, and therefore most downing can be avoided.

I think most people who drown actually can swim. Just not well enough.

Seen several times when people actually only wade out to the high surf, expecting some fun and challenging their ability to withstand the waves. They do not expect to be pulled out, or knocked around as the wave crashes over them, lose control, and get dragged back out just when another wave crashes. My lessons learned in Hawaii, home of the big waves. I waveski (wave board kayaking) and have had near death experiences, being dragged over rocks, being buckled in and rolling violently under huge waves, paddle breaking in half and stabbing. Things get out of control fast in big surf. Once just had my mom and my aunt pose for a photo in ankle deep water, to get perspective of the waves coming in. One wave crashed in and immediately swallowed them up to their waists....trying to pull them out, when it receded. I grabbed both and had to fight hard to hold on. Thats how fast it happens.

• Like 2

Very Sad, since all children should be taught how to swim, and therefore most downing can be avoided.

I think most people who drown actually can swim. Just not well enough.

Seen several times when people actually only wade out to the high surf, expecting some fun and challenging their ability to withstand the waves. They do not expect to be pulled out, or knocked around as the wave crashes over them, lose control, and get dragged back out just when another wave crashes. My lessons learned in Hawaii, home of the big waves. I waveski (wave board kayaking) and have had near death experiences, being dragged over rocks, being buckled in and rolling violently under huge waves, paddle breaking in half and stabbing. Things get out of control fast in big surf. Once just had my mom and my aunt pose for a photo in ankle deep water, to get perspective of the waves coming in. One wave crashed in and immediately swallowed them up to their waists....trying to pull them out, when it receded. I grabbed both and had to fight hard to hold on. Thats how fast it happens.

Cha Am; big surf??? really?

I notice locals may wear street clothes in the water. that can get quite heavy and drag you down.

can someone post pics of the biggest waves seen in cha am?

can someone post pics of the biggest waves seen in cha am?

Obviously not big relative to Hawaii or some areas of California but these can be pretty strong for the uninitiated. I remember when I was a teenager and walking into waves in Los Angeles similar to the below and was surprised how it just sucked my feet out or nearly knocking me over.

Cha Am waves

• Like 1

I recall swimming in the ch am surf and wave size was maybe 2 feet and the waves had very little power. wind was offshore and shape of waves was decent so i thought if a bigger swell would be surfable.

Might have only been a case of panic in small surf. Probably not deep, but got dragged out, or tried to help somebody who was floundering. You would be surprised at how fast somebody can drown....just one inhale underwater.

I was a WSSI (water safety instructor) in the service.

This is truly very sad the loss of such young lives celebrating their graduation at the beginning of their life. Having lived awhile back in Phuket for two years, I was personally amazed the number of Thais I met on an island surrounded by ocean who had never been in the water before due to not knowing how to swim. Subsequently, I taught a few of them.

My thought is since there are few, if any, public schools in this country which have a swimming pool, with no requirement students need to learn how to swim, accounts for such tragic loss of life. This article does not indicate if these particular students knew how to swim, or not. Where I come from in the US it is mandatory to pass swimming lessons with all High Schools and Universities have swimming pools and swim instructions. Also, being a certified scuba diver, there is the possibility of "rouge" waves, which are unusually high, as well as especially undertows which can pull swimmers out to sea. This article would indicate to me this is what occurred.

Many of the beaches in Thailand also do not have posted signs warning of such dangers and have few, if any, life guards. In Phuket a few years ago, the life guards were not being paid since the gov't had not approve a new budget, so there were only a few volunteer life guards who out of their own goodness tried to help protect swimmers without any payment. The bottom line is to be aware of such dangers and take the appropriate precautions and to post warning signs even if no life guards are present.