having boat in Thailand

kaveh

hi folks

is anybody here have a boat in Thailand?

not just for fishing of course; or touring, just as a hobby or anything else.

can a farang take ownership?

where did you buy that?

how much is maintainence?

any idea?

post-201224-0-77051400-1393916411_thumb.

sure you can. register the boat with the marine dept. and they will issue a blue license book (if your a foreigner) or ownership papers if your Thai. The blue book will specify the area of usage. Boats above a certain length / tonnage will require a captain's license. hope that helps

Maintenance of boats are expensive. Boat owners are happy only twice... once when they buy and when they sell smile.png The bigger the boat , the deeper the well. Good luck

Yeh I defenatly agree with this, from my own experience, I bought a fishing boat about 10 years ago and has fun for a copple of years in the Pangnga bay, but maintenance and birth costs are high and sold the boat after 4 years, it took me 2 years before the boat was sold at a loss.

i am farang

i have a boat in the Chao Praya delta, the boat was built for me in Nakhon Pathom

i have the tabian ruua document in my name

there are a number of rules to be observed re owning and using a boat

different sets of rules applies to different types and sizes of boats and engines

my boat is a socalled soong dtoon yai (large 2 section boat)

its 8,9 m long and 1,54 m max beam and depth is 0,3 m

its ment for haeng (longtail) in river/canal basins

for this boat I need capt lic but it is also required that i have an engineers lic for servicing the engine

my engine has 250 hp, this requires a so called first class engineer's lic

if I remember correctly the treshold is about 175 hp, above that you'll need a first class eng. lic.

also;

the rules for these boats says that boats less than 10 m LOA can not have more than 4 cylinders

(or actually the rule says pistons)

the marine dept wouldn't register the boat with LOA 8,9 m and a V8 with 250 hp

marine dept suggested I should change the engine,

no way,

I wrote 'em a letter saying that I'd rather change the boat

after some thinking and discussion with the builder and others

I opted for extending the boat with a spoiler like construction on the stern

it now measures 10,03 m and I have the tabian ruua doc in my name.

so,

do some checking before making purchases

LoS has surprices stacked up ready for release in many if not most areas

I owned and lived on a 28m steel yacht for 7 years, I chartered her out and left the 5 crew to do the charter. I can only agree with another comment, two days are the best days, when you buy and eventually sell. I also had a 'to do list' and even with a engineer, four other crew and myself, the to do list was never, ever done. Do your costing very carefully and then double them and stick a 0 on the end, you can not believe the never ending maintenance costs. My various crews were worse than salt water and broke / lost / damaged $100,000 worth of equipment every year. They did everything from ruining the new Alwgrip paintwork after just three months to sanding down a teak deck so it was so thin I had to replace it...AGAIN! If you can find someone who already has a boat sail on that.

• Like 1

I guess cost of ownership/maintenance varies a lot with the type/size of the boat and on where you keep it.

I don't really find my boat expensive to maintain, but its not costly on the outset.

Production, including paintjob 90 000

transport to Chao Praya 2 000

purchase of engine 27 000

purchase of gear box 5 000

purchase of flywheel housing 3 000

production of longtail/prop etc 3 000

tank, aluminium 4 000

production of the engine swivel 4 000

engine frame 3 000

putting the mechanics together 15 000

the above figures (except the first 3) are approx.

the boat is currently undergoing a series of fixes,

changing the bottom, changing some wood in the sides to mai takian (hard and lightweight)

changing the whole spoiler thing

changing the transom from thin softwood to thick hardwood

raising the transom

longitudinal hardwood "fender lists" on the hull side (2 on each side)

and a few other bits and pieces

and a complete paintjob

35 000

can live with that, and its GREAT fun,

not least because I think I have the absolute fastest boat between Ayudaya and the sea

• Like 2

I should say my yacht was in a different league and that's the biggest reason it cost me so much, so much of my expenses you won't have. I had endless costs including MCA certification and compulsory equipment, I operated in the Med and Caribbean, see www.clasship.net I don't really understand the size of your boat or where you will sail, but you don't mention many items such as safety equipment, Will you have:

Life raft?

Flares?

Torches?

Grab bag and associated contents?

Life jackets?

Paper charts?

You don't mention any electrical systems, you will need a good battery to start the engine and should have a separate batteries for power. Will you be 12 volt? Will you have an invertor to provide 230volts? Will you have a generator? What navigation equipment will you have? Will you have a portable or installed VHF?

Fittings can cost a small fortune, allow for this and all the lines you'll need along with fenders etc. You should install sea cocks to all skin fittings as well, and don't forget your bag of wooden bungs.

There are annual or bi-annual costs, a lift out and anti fouling are the minimum. I would guess with a wooden boat you need to take her out the water every year. I don't know what the dreaded worm is like here, but do check, if it's in the odd plank that's not so bad, if it's in the frames it's very, very bad. See http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?157644-Tell-Me-Why-I-Should-or-Should-Not-Buy-A-Wood-Boat I knew lot's of wooden boat owners in Turkey with their wooden Gullets, you should be aware as much water got in when it rained from above through the dried out decks as through the hull.

I have no experience of having a yacht here, but in the Med and Caribbean chandeliers took no prisoners, I swear to God I bought the world most expensive nut and bolt on more than one occasion, I wondered sometimes if I was competing in an auction with NASA for a nut which would have saved a space station.

• Like 1

The old joke - owning a boat is like standing under a cold water shower tearing up $100 notes.

Maybe I was lucky but I had a 25 foot grp boat with a 220hp 6 cylinder turbo diesel shaft drive in the uk .

I used it on average about twice a week for sea fishing up to 30 miles offshore and kept it in a marina and I can honestly say in the 10 years I owned my outlay was very low and it never once let me down ( 1700 engine hours )

After the first re-fit in Turkey, the main contractor bought me a new brass bell as a present, on the back was engraved 'How Much!' I forgot all about that until I contributed to this post. Being Turkish it had a hole rot through it within two years, it's now off the coast of Antigua awaiting to be discovered by an excited diver.

Maintenance of boats are expensive. Boat owners are happy only twice... once when they buy and when they sell smile.png The bigger the boat , the deeper the well. Good luck

Isn't a boat a hole in the water into which you throw money ? annoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0b.gif

Isn't a boat a hole in the water into which you throw money ? annoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0b.gif

Break

Out

Another

Thousand

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

I guess cost of ownership/maintenance varies a lot with the type/size of the boat and on where you keep it.

I don't really find my boat expensive to maintain, but its not costly on the outset.

Production, including paintjob 90 000

transport to Chao Praya 2 000

purchase of engine 27 000

purchase of gear box 5 000

purchase of flywheel housing 3 000

production of longtail/prop etc 3 000

tank, aluminium 4 000

production of the engine swivel 4 000

engine frame 3 000

putting the mechanics together 15 000

the above figures (except the first 3) are approx.

the boat is currently undergoing a series of fixes,

changing the bottom, changing some wood in the sides to mai takian (hard and lightweight)

changing the whole spoiler thing

changing the transom from thin softwood to thick hardwood

raising the transom

longitudinal hardwood "fender lists" on the hull side (2 on each side)

and a few other bits and pieces

and a complete paintjob

35 000

can live with that, and its GREAT fun,

not least because I think I have the absolute fastest boat between Ayudaya and the sea

sorry, are those numbers BAHTs or DOLLARs?