Two Thai universities almost crack global ranking

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Music yes, but that's not really what Universities are renowned the world over for is it? There is not a nobel prize for music and important though it is, academically it's a bit of a cul de sac, a fringe subject. Only in Thailand could relative failure be hailed as some sort of success, embarrassing really.

Juillard is fringe? The Guildhall in London - not world renowned, i see.... The poster thinks that because music isn't on HIS radar, that its not on the world radar. I disagree, obviously. There is not a Nobel, but there is a Pulitzer Prize for music. Same league, no? People who think music is a "fringe subject" should think about how their world would be without it. Medicine might keep you alive, but music is one of the things that you stay alive for.

As for calling Thailand's higher education system a failure, I would say that there are definitely failings at the national policy level. And those need to be addressed, but it will not be a quick fix. If you ask a veteran Thailand resident to compare the education system of Thailand in the 70s vrs today I would bet that they would say its much improved, while still not measuring up to western standards. I would imagine that in another 40 years it will be that much more improved,

Actually it was founded in 1995, so almost 20 years now. I have met the director, he is a good friend of one of my good friends.

And having a keyboard that can connect through MIDI to a computer can be a very useful and educational tool so do not completely discount their use--although my keyboard is a Korg.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Mahidol Department of Music, being BY FAR the best and most famous music school in Thailand, also gets the best musicians. Its a very good cycle and I am sure that will continue.

And yet didn't exist 15 years ago - im sure it just became so through the patronage of the hi-sos, and not through vision, philosophy, innovation, and industriousness. And thankfully our students don't play on yamaha keyboards either smile.png

Have you ever seen the music library in mahidol? it's pathetic, even Khon Kean is better, and the students have not had their mummies pay to get them in there. Anyway even with it 'great' music faculty it is still firmly in the third world league and just cannot compete with western University standards. What research does Mihidol do concerning the history of Thailand's own music? none that I ever heard of and if it did it would firmly be in the areas of classical music, khon and such hi so interests. I would suggest they get the richest musicians, not the necessarily the best.

Edited by sms747

I know nothing about Music, but I do know a young man from Mahidol that played at the Kennedy Center and found numerous of his videos and performances on the internet.

I assume he has talent, which when combined with a good program, has produced an excellent young musician.

I am sure he isn't the only one.

Cool.

I have heard nothing but good things about Mahidol. I am also sure it is not the only program that can be of benefit to Thai students.

I know nothing about Music, but I do know a young man from Mahidol that played at the Kennedy Center and found numerous of his videos and performances on the internet.

I assume he has talent, which when combined with a good program, has produced an excellent young musician.

I am sure he isn't the only one.

You mean to tell me that the school (Chula) whose students didn't even know who Hitler is supposed to be near the top 200 hundred schools in the world? I could name hundreds of better schools in America alone.

one top thai uni graduate was trying to impress me telling me how hitler did the worst ever things in history... i asked how she felt hitler's crimes compared to those of stalin and mao - she replied 'who?'

• Like 1

I would have to agree that an average US/UK university is better than any of the top Thai universities. The education does not even compare I am afraid. It starts out with a system that discourages any kind of individual though and creativity. Its pretty tough to change that when they get to university.

My nephew studied at one of the largest and most popular universities in Thailand. He also went to an above average US high school. He said it was like going back to year 10.

You mean to tell me that the school (Chula) whose students didn't even know who Hitler is supposed to be near the top 200 hundred schools in the world? I could name hundreds of better schools in America alone.

one top thai uni graduate was trying to impress me telling me how hitler did the worst ever things in history... i asked how she felt hitler's crimes compared to those of stalin and mao - she replied 'who?'
  • Like 1

Oxford and Cambridge came in fourth and fifth.

You're not an old Oxford boy are you, having trouble with the truth? Cambridge came fourth and Oxford lagged behind by quite a wide margin (6.5%). And we'll beat you in the boat race on the 6th.

somebody needs to back to School, Oxford is 5th for 2014

World Reputation Rankings 2014Rank Institution Location Overall score 1 Harvard University United States
2 Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) United States
3 Stanford University United States
4 University of Cambridge United Kingdom
5 University of Oxford United Kingdom