Not long to go

kevvy

Hi

Well we are nearly finished our village .Only 7 more houses to build and then the big move to Chiang Rai. Hopefully be there in August to start our new home .I just hope we can find good tradesmen as the house will be something to be proud of..Getting some plans drawn up in the very near future.Alot of members(not the CR) said my wife will get the money and run , well she is still with me .She has been a rock in this construction project.Will be in Chiang Rai in 3 weeks time .

kevvy

post-164407-0-83734100-1394090131_thumb.

Thought you said you were going to stay by the seaside.

Welcome to CR then.

Harry

My wife's father had a stroke so we will move up North as she wants to be with her family. We have brought land on highway 1211. Not far from another member on this forum.

Thanks

kevvy

Good Luck to you and your wife Kevvy.

Hope everything goes well as you wish.

yia sou Costa

ti kanis . ime kala.. that is about all I know in greek maybe a few mo\re words.

Thanks for the kind words.

kevvy

• Like 1

What happened about the seaside plan, where the land you bought was cheap. Lucky break I thought. Project started ?....thumbsup.gif

Hi Mate

the land is still there. As I said my wife 's father had a major stoke , so we decided back in November to move closely to her family. We started the village about 14 months ago,so now it is coming to the end of it .How have you been?

kevvy

What happened about the seaside plan, where the land you bought was cheap. Lucky break I thought. Project started ?....thumbsup.gif

Hi Mate

the land is still there. As I said my wife 's father had a major stoke , so we decided back in November to move closely to her family. We started the village about 14 months ago,so now it is coming to the end of it .How have you been?

kevvy

I am fine thanks..........smile.png

Soi Kevvy, nice little(not) project you have yourself there.thumbsup.gif

Krisb

is that my new name ....soi kevvy ...smile.png Krisb, there have been times times when I though I had done all my money , and if it was not for the determination of my wife it would have happened.She left her job of 15 years as a manager of AAT (motor industry) to do this project.Now we changed our plans because of family..No worries mate , as it is all great .

pic of one of the houses.

kevvy

post-164407-0-83123600-1394106304_thumb.

• Like 1

Yes , I made sure everything was above board .We use A grade steel and didnt cut corners. Also use the Q bricks.We had a good team of workers , except one other team who wanted to do things their way . It was frustrating going to the site each day and having to tell them they did it wrong again. Now will be building a very good house in Mae lao district . So I will have to find some good builders there.I will do different footing , and will be done the Australian way .Also will use Qbricks outside with a plaster wall for all the inside of the house.I think the rendered walls dont look good inside. On the outside will be natural stone over the Q bricks. I think the hardest trouble will be finding someone to paint the inside . Very hard to find real tradesmen in this country

kevvy

• Like 1

Yes , I made sure everything was above board .We use A grade steel and didnt cut corners. Also use the Q bricks.We had a good team of workers , except one other team who wanted to do things their way . It was frustrating going to the site each day and having to tell them they did it wrong again. Now will be building a very good house in Mae lao district . So I will have to find some good builders there.I will do different footing , and will be done the Australian way .Also will use Qbricks outside with a plaster wall for all the inside of the house.I think the rendered walls dont look good inside. On the outside will be natural stone over the Q bricks. I think the hardest trouble will be finding someone to paint the inside . Very hard to find real tradesmen in this country

kevvy

You're right about a shortage of tradesman skilled in western techniques in CR. We've been doing some smaller projects around our place before starting the house. Even the architect said he could design the house for Q Block but didn't have the people experienced in using them. Best of luck.

• Like 1

I am extremely impressed with the apparent quality of the preparation for the slab. You have a great start on what I am sure will be an impressive edifice. I hope you will continue to documanet as well as you have and share your experiences. Thanks.

kevvy

You're right about a shortage of tradesman skilled in western techniques in CR. We've been doing some smaller projects around our place before starting the house. Even the architect said he could design the house for Q Block but didn't have the people experienced in using them. Best of luck.

Hi Mate

We have builders here in our vilage now and we are using Q brick on all our houses . They have agreed to come up to chiang rai tp do the footings and brick work.I will not be using plastic pipes either for the water .If I can get it I will use copper .(western way)I thought about a TRUSS roof but the cost bluescope is charging is outrageous so I will go with the columns with a plaster wall to hide them inside.I will get the plaster cornice shipped up from Pattaya if I cant find the style I want in the rai.I want the plaster skirting boards as shown on the web site

KEVVY

http://www.ornateplastercraft.com

Q BRICKS

I am extremely impressed with the apparent quality of the preparation for the slab. You have a great start on what I am sure will be an impressive edifice. I hope you will continue to documanet as well as you have and share your experiences. Thanks

Well the house has not started yet in Chiang Rai , but the front fence will be started in April. The slab is one of the most important parts of the house construction.

Thanks for the reply

kevvy

Kevvy, it looks like you have built yourself a nice village there mate. Glad to see some great pics!

Keep them coming, as a builder myself I am always interested in Thai projects.

If you need any advice I am always happy to assist.smile.png

We will see if we can get a few guys together for a coffee when you get here Kevvy.

As I said on the phone, we have a builder in our ranks.

Always a few of us around.

• Like 1

kevvy

Hi Mate

We have builders here in our vilage now and we are using Q brick on all our houses . They have agreed to come up to chiang rai tp do the footings and brick work.I will not be using plastic pipes either for the water .If I can get it I will use copper .(western way)I thought about a TRUSS roof but the cost bluescope is charging is outrageous so I will go with the columns with a plaster wall to hide them inside.I will get the plaster cornice shipped up from Pattaya if I cant find the style I want in the rai.I want the plaster skirting boards as shown on the web site

KEVVY

Q BRICKS

Forget about truss frames in Thailand if given the option..which you have.

Use conventional roof frames, much quicker and cheaper. Keep in mind roof frames are used to keep walls upright, overkill is what trusses are.

Bluescope will be very expensive in Thailand since they are BHP, therefore likely imported. Source local copper pipe.

Btw, most plumbers in Thailand only know 2 things, payday's Friday and shit run's downhill.

Conventional roof frame pictured...

post-151649-0-09024100-1394190012_thumb.

Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

We will see if we can get a few guys together for a coffee when you get here Kevvy.

Sceadu

I will buy...look forward to it mate I will give the the date in a couple of days ,,

Cheers Mate

kevvy

kevvy

Hi Mate

KEVVY

Q BRICKS

Forget about truss frames in Thailand if given the option..which you have.

Use conventional roof frames, much quicker and cheaper. Keep in mind roof frames are used to keep walls upright, overkill is what trusses are.

Bluescope will be very expensive in Thailand since they are BHP, therefore likely imported. Source local copper pipe.

Btw, most plumbers in Thailand only know 2 things, payday's Friday and shit run's downhill.

Conventional roof frame pictured...

Hi Krisb

yeah , I checked bluescope and they a pack of rip off merchants.. so the old way for this black duck.

Thanks Mate..

Always a few of us around.

Krisb

I know this not possible here in thailand , but this is the sort of house we want , but in single story.I think I will have a good shot at it , as I have plasters from Pattaya who can send the plaster pieces up to chiang rai .\The have good skirting as well as many other pieces. Then I have a builder down where I live now who can build beautiful kitchens and will shipp them up to chiang rai .the painting , well that another story but I have a few friends in the rai who will help .The bricks on the house I have found the exact same in Thailand by a company called SCG and also they have them at home mart. I can get the granite floors from a town called TAK. So even though the house looks amazing I think it can be done . I will be on site everyday when we get there to start. And contracts will be made for the workers A friend sent me this

contract

1) the brand and type of paint, 2) how many coats 3) applied with brush, roller (or both), 4) all edges cut in neatly with cutting brushes and not rolled and finished uneven, 5) state how all surfaces are to be prepared (if new surfaces then dust down is fine but if unfinished Gyprock (plasterboard) or render you need a primer coat of either wallboard sealer (for plasterboard) or cement render sealer (PVC mixed 4 to 1 will suffice as well), 6) tiled and timber floor surfaces to be kept free of paint spatter and all door hardware removed for painting and reassembled when complete. You should also note how long the project will take as that will show commitment and also keep them honest to some degree (e.g. I have seen 10 day jobs rushed through in 5 and along the way every time & quality cutting trick in the book pulled just to maximise profits and to hell with the customer and long term durability of the work).whatever you do,.. make sure you hold back at least 30% of the total payment to pay only upon satisfactory completion and make sure you're totally happy with the final result before shelling out the final cash.Good advice ..

thanks

kevvy

http://www.ornateplastercraft.com/

Thanks Mate

I and my wife will be going up to the rai next week and have a meeting with a farang architect .I am going to arrange the fences around the the block.. I will 100% post you pics of the new project .As I said hope towards the end of the year .Going to bring back some silver birch trees from Aus next month .

Kevvy