Tesco Lotus

seatimes

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before Tesco it was only Lotus. Their was a merger with Tesco paying 12.7 billion baht in 1998 between Tesco Plc. and Cp Groups “Lotus “ store back in 1998. My wife Khun Naravadee who was a VP with CP Group at the time and the current chairman Khun Sunthorn of Tesco Lotus were the two main principals involved with the merger amid much controversy of Lotus no longer retaining a controlling stake in the company. It has in retrospect turned out to of been a very good move for both Tesco and Lotus. Not all mergers work out but this one certainly has. The company Tesco Lotus is now quite profitable versus the losses Lotus had before. From 13 stores to 48 superstores and they are now employing 20,000 Thai people.

http://www.tescolotus.net/company/whatpeop...sp?Lang=English

Before Tesco it was only Lotus. Their was a  merger with Tesco  paying 12.7 billion baht in 1998 between Tesco Plc. and Cp Groups “Lotus “ store back in 1998. My wife Khun Naravadee who was a VP with CP Group at the time and the current chairman Khun Sunthorn of Tesco Lotus were the two main principals involved with the merger amid much controversy of Lotus no longer retaining a controlling stake in the company. It has in retrospect turned out to of been a very good move for both Tesco and Lotus. Not all mergers work out but this one certainly has. The company Tesco Lotus is now quite profitable versus the losses Lotus had before. From 13 stores to 48 superstores and they are now employing 20,000 Thai people.

http://www.tescolotus.net/company/whatpeop...sp?Lang=English

Sunbelt, all of this is true but you have made only passing reference to what I consider to be a key factor in the current success of Tesco Lotus, namely the support and co-operation of CP even as its shareholding was diluted down to almost nothing.Of course CP benefits very significantly through the Tesco relationship by virtue of distribution of chicken and other products in Europe but great credit has to be given to Khun Sunthorn (and people like your wife) for nurturing and supporting the partnership in the very difficult early days.It's the best example of a successful Thai/international jv I am aware of.A couple of points to ponder on however. (1.) Could it have happened outside the context of an economic crisis ?and (2) If CP had been a more equal partner in terms of shareholding, would the relationship have been less harmonious (in the time honoured Thai tradition of screwing your foreign partner).I have been told the Tesco guy sent from England to run the show was a self-important <deleted> but have no personal knowledge about this.

(1.) Could it have happened outside the context of an economic crisis ?
In my opinion....No, as CP Group would of never of given up control.
(2) If CP had been a more equal partner in terms of shareholding, would the relationship have been less harmonious (in the time honoured Thai tradition of screwing your foreign partner).

You mean like the Orange venture? :o

As you stated the credit for success has to go to Khun Sunthorn for being open to foreigners and their methods. They didn’t merge with a Thai chairman that had no soul and went thru the motions. Complete opposite, he is a person that wanted the relationship to work and has an open mind. It indeed takes two for a marriage to work well.

Shirley Porter the daughter of Lord Cohen the founder of Tesco has just after many years of living in Israel trying to avoid paying £23 million in fines for as the the government auditor said at the time " The worst case of gerrymandering in modern times".

This was when she was leader of the Westminster council in the 80s and the selling of council homes for votes scandal.

She has just paid £12 million less than half of what they wanted originally, so that's OK then.

Nice people to do business with.

Shirley Porter the daughter of Lord Cohen the founder of Tesco has just after many years of living in Israel trying to avoid paying £23 million in fines for as the the government auditor said at the time " The worst case of gerrymandering in modern times".

This was when she was leader of the Westminster council in the 80s and the selling of council homes for votes scandal.

She has just paid £12 million less than half of what they wanted originally, so that's OK then.

Nice people to do business with.

I know the competition is intense on this forum but after some reflection I think Maerim wins the prize for the silliest and most ignorant comment.The fact that Shirley Porter is the daughter of the late Lord Cohen is totally irrelevant to the discussion of Tesco Lotus.There is also no remaining Cohen family influence let alone control of Tesco in the UK, nor has there been for decades.

"money makes the world go round."...

I used to work for her at WCC and although she was only a TESCO heiress and not directly involved with the "shop" big Les was still boss..... always remember the day she bought me a pint in the "Albert" :o

I did not agree with her Pols be you certainly could not ignore her. :D

Remember the time she put the Chanel No 5 perfume in the streetcleaners rubbish collection units.......Smelt LUV-ely. :D Good idea for Suk.Road :D

Shirley Porter pays up in homes-for-votes deal

Mon 5 July, 2004 16:21

LONDON (Reuters) - Heiress and former politician Dame Shirley Porter, who took refuge in Israel after being fined for gerrymandering in the late 1980s, has finally paid 12 million pounds to end the dispute.

Westminster Council, which Porter ran during the days of Conservative Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, had been trying to make her pay up for years.

"Earlier this year Westminster City Council reached a 12 million pounds mediated agreement with Dame Shirley Porter in full settlement of the outstanding surcharge," said Westminster Council's deputy leader Kit Malthouse on Monday.

"On July 1, the entire amount was deposited into Westminster's bank account," he added.

Porter had repeatedly refused to pay a fine of nearly 27 million pounds for running a so-called homes-for-votes policy in the central London borough, selling off council houses cheaply to people likely to vote Conservative.

The Tesco supermarkets heiress repeatedly pleaded poverty, said she never profited personally from the scheme and insisted that in any case she did nothing wrong.

Westminster Council agreed to the compromise deal with her in April.

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml...56&section=news

Tesco Thailand IS NOT Tesco UK. They give shit service, very long delays at the checkouts, they have 40 checkouts with just 4 or 5 open. Used to have a good selection of British items, like Teso red label tea, now nothing. I hate the place and will always now go to Big C, better than Carrefour too. Foodland is ok, but limited choice here in Pattaya.

Tesco Thailand IS NOT Tesco UK. They give shit service, very long delays at the checkouts, they have 40 checkouts with just 4 or 5 open. Used to have a good selection of British items, like Teso red label tea, now nothing. I hate the place and will always now go to Big C, better than Carrefour too. Foodland is ok, but limited choice here in Pattaya.

You obviously haven't been shopping in a UK Tesco recently.

The Tesco in Samui was great for locals, we did not have anything like that up to then and it at least brought fixed prices for everyone. Car parking is easy enough (and you get saluted by the guy at the gate). The only really strange thing I notice is trolley theft. I take an empty trolley from the large group of spares by the door and move off into the store. If I leave my empty trolley behind while I wander up an aisle to look for something it gets commandeered by a local. I don't understand why - they could just get one at the door.

I've bought electrical goods there also ( a panasonic DVD system) that was cheaper than in the UK and has given me no problems at all, alsoa mobile phone that is also fine. They still don't stock dishwasher tablets though.

I know the competition is intense on this forum but after some reflection I think Maerim wins the prize for the silliest and most ignorant comment.The fact that Shirley Porter is the daughter of the late Lord Cohen is totally irrelevant to the discussion of Tesco Lotus.There is also no remaining Cohen family influence let alone control of Tesco in the UK, nor has there been for decades

Boris

Keep the skull cap on, jai yen yen.

Why is it you or I can slag off Germans, Australians, Brits and so on but mention a Jew whoooooo hooooo .

So "Dame" Shirley didn't do it?

Remember if you don't know where you come from you don't know where you are going.

Please let let me have your mobile telephone no so I can let you edit my posts in the future.

Actually there are two Big C's in Pattaya, the "old Big C" on 2nd road which has respectable service and farang goods, and "new Big C" on Sukhumvit which is completely useless, not many farang items available and nothing is labelled in English - just Thai. Ok, so we're in Thailand, but if they want this farangs money they need to improve. Until then I'll stay away. Seeing it's usually very quiet I guess I'm not the only one who has realized this.

Living in Phuket we don't have the luxury of Carrefour or Foodland so we have to suffer Lotus and Big C........

............So if anyone from Carrefour is reading this please open a branch in Phuket you would make a lot of money and a lot people very happy.

Not sure, but thought I heard a rumour that they will open a Carrefour in Phuket later this year. Can anyone in Phuket confirm this?

Driving past Big C last month there was yet another mammoth construction site underway literally metres away from Big C (which itself is barely a mile from Lotus)

Things I like about Lotus:

The bulk goods section - guess it caters for folks who come from rural areas who want to stock up, but can only get into town every so often.

The fresh/gourmet/deli section. Buying relatively cheap plonk, some of those ready made sushi packs, and any other fresh goodies lying around makes for a good pre-dinner snack.

Nobody seems to have mentioned the food courts. For 30 baht you get a great plate of roast duck with steamed rice and clear soup - bargain! In fact the whole food court is a cheap easy way to fill up - just grab a cash card, and swipe your way through the various stalls.

Clothes are reasonably good. Even a big farang can find a pair of strides for under 200 baht.

Cons:

Beauty goods, pharmaceuticals, drugstore section is terrible. I keep wandering off with bits and pieces, only to be told at the check out that I have to pay for it back at the other counter.

I know the competition is intense on this forum but after some reflection I think Maerim wins the prize for the silliest and most ignorant comment.The fact that Shirley Porter is the daughter of the late Lord Cohen is totally irrelevant to the discussion of Tesco Lotus.There is also no remaining Cohen family influence let alone control of Tesco in the UK, nor has there been for decades

Boris

Why is it you or I can slag off Germans, Australians, Brits and so on but mention a Jew whoooooo hooooo .

Remember if you don't know where you come from you don't know where you are going.

Please let let me have your mobile telephone no so I can let you edit my posts in the future.

Ah so it's just that old favourite, anti semitism ,at work after all.Lets all rant about the big noses(see subsequent poster) over our Changs.

It's not only Tesco Lotus who screw up.

I know that this is Thailand and that the majority of customers are Thai but that doesn't excuse the practice of labelling everything in Thai.

I reeally get shitted when I buy something and the english language instructions (how to cook, what amoumnt of this or that etc) are concealed with a Thai language stick on.

The vast majority of these products have plenty of room for the Thai label without it covering up the english version.

But again this is TIT nuff said.

Boris

Ah so it's just that old favourite, anti semitism ,at work after all.Lets all rant about the big noses(see subsequent poster) over our Changs.

Boris....your self-righteous indignation would be more appropriate if more generic. I didn't see you up in arms when virtually every other minority, from gays to bar girls, from politicians to expatriates, from ngos to women, etc., etc. got slagged...... I, for one, find the comments you criticized, irrelevant to the thread topic. I also find your new-found sensitivity ludicrous, as well as irrelevant to the thread topic.

I have shopped at Tesco Lotus both in Bangkok and Pattaya and have been satisfied with their selections and quality, and as someone else had commented, their food courts have cheap, good food. :D

I do have one issue with two of the writers, however. The official language in Thailand is Thai. If you are going to live in the country there should be a reasonable expectation that you will learn to speak and read Thai. :o

Boris

Boris....your self-righteous indignation would be more appropriate if more generic. I didn't see you up in arms when virtually every other minority, from gays to bar girls, from politicians to expatriates, from ngos to women, etc., etc. got slagged...... I, for one, find the comments you criticized, irrelevant to the thread topic. I also find your new-found sensitivity ludicrous, as well as irrelevant to the thread topic.

I'm not particularly up at arms about anti-semitism, simply noting it when I see it.As for my alleged silence on other persecuted minorities,amongst which you absurdly include bar girls, I have been only been a member of this forum for less than a week so your point about new found sensitivity is gaga.

As to the accusation I was off topic, I plead guilty (and will try to avoid in future) but the temptation to post is difficult to resist when I see nonsense.

Boris

I'm not particularly up at arms about anti-semitism, simply noting it when I see it.As for my alleged silence on other persecuted minorities,amongst which you absurdly include bar girls, I have been only been a member of this forum for less than a week so your point about new found sensitivity is gaga.

As to the accusation I was off topic, I plead guilty (and will try to avoid in future) but the temptation to post is difficult to resist when I see nonsense.

B....You being a new guy is well-taken; it might even explain why you think that my including bar girls is absurd. Unless you think they are fundamentally less deserving of human rights than any of the other groups I mentioned..... although that might put you in a majority of posters on this site, but I too, digress.

The first thing Lotus needs to do is to organize the shelf re-stocking in such a way that does not leave many areas of the store inaccessible due products been left stacked on the floor

secondly they should - at least in Samui - fire 90% of the staff at the electronic department cause almost all of them just hang around, know nothing and are unfriendly. (Attention: client might want to buy something!)

and thirdly: due to the more and more increasing number of "falang" it could be wise to sign the goods besides thai in english language.

The cashier personal is the most friendliest (and prettiest) I have met in a long time.

secondly they should - at least in Samui - fire 90% of the staff at the electronic department cause almost all of them just hang around, know nothing and are unfriendly. (Attention: client might want to buy something!)
That's pretty much the case everywhere in Pattaya; Lotus, Big C, Carrefour. Btw, it also goes for the staff in the kitchen ware department.
and thirdly: due to the more and more increasing number of "falang" it could be wise to sign the goods besides thai in english language.

Big C Sukhumvit Pattaya is making the same mistake. It is obviously having an impact as you see very few farangs (not many Thais either).

The cashier personal is the most friendliest (and prettiest) I have met in a long time.

In Pattaya that price goes to Carrefour!

so....what does the C stand for in Big C, is it really Cocks? because right now thats the only reason I choose it over Tesco lotus, which is a bit of a wet name.

Yeah, Wal Mart Supercenters got it over any shopping places I've ever been for price, varity etc and the old lady is going to miss them bad when we shift back! :o

so....what does the C stand for in Big C
I have no idea but I do know that John Wayne died from it, might be time for a rethink.
Duke eventually died of "the big C" at 5:23pm, on June 11, 1979, at the UCLA Medical Centre. He was buried on June 15. The memorial service was held at Our Lady Queen of Angles parish, Newport Beach. Because of expected crowds, the Mass was conducted at 5:45am. Only family and close friends attended. The press was not invited. A second grave was dug and his funeral flowers placed on it. This was done so that Duke's last resting place would not be disturbed by souvenir hunters or vandals

Tesco Lotus in my town does not sell Baked Beans and does not sell cheese.

Many of us falangs got together and we all sent emails to HQ complaining.

No one ever received a reply, so we all shop elsewhere now.

Som nam na.