Tesco Lotus

seatimes

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I avoid the lotus on srimahkarin in favor of the srinakarin foodland. Better variety of expat food at foodland.

I dont like the hordes of salesman in the electronics section in these supercenters. They spot a falong browsing and start swarming--ask them a question about the products and they really dont know anything.

Aisles and aisles filled with junk garbage food. Thais have gone crazy for sweets and junk food--they will regret it later. :o

so....what does the C stand for in Big C

I have no idea but I do know that John Wayne died from it, might be time for a rethink.

Duke eventually died of "the big C" at 5:23pm, on June 11, 1979, at the UCLA Medical Centre. He was buried on June 15. The memorial service was held at Our Lady Queen of Angles parish, Newport Beach. Because of expected crowds, the Mass was conducted at 5:45am. Only family and close friends attended. The press was not invited. A second grave was dug and his funeral flowers placed on it. This was done so that Duke's last resting place would not be disturbed by souvenir hunters or vandals

It was those unfiltered Lucky Strikes that got him. Yul Brenner too of King & I fame?

I dont like the hordes of salesman in the electronics section in these supercenters. They spot a falang browsing and start swarming--ask them a question about the products and they really dont know anything.

Soooo true, not just Tesco but BigC also. I feel like a deer lined up in the crosshairs as every eye :o seems to be on me as l wander past. Few seem to have any idea about the product specs if you ask them, some better staff training needed.

I know wages are cheap but l cannot work out why they have so many staff.:D The liquor aisle also has an overabundance of staff. Even on a busy weekend there are lots more staff than customers. I suppose we shouldn't complain as in a western country you can struggle to find even one sales clerk.

For everyone complaining about the lack of western products then it must be different in Bangkok where the range offered isn't too bad imo. People, we are living in Thailand :D so you shouldn't expect Tesco UK. If you can't find something suitable to eat in Thailand then perhaps it's time to go home.

Plenty of English signage and shelf labels where l shop. Go to your average western supermarket and see how many Asian products they have available, not a lot in many. Overall the local supermarkets around my way are quite good though with the amount of staff you would think some of them have no excuse to leave stock lying around on the floor.

For everyone complaining about the lack of western products then it must be different in Bangkok where the range offered isn't too bad imo. People, we are living in Thailand :o so you shouldn't expect Tesco UK. If you can't find something suitable to eat in Thailand then perhaps it's time to go home.

:D Yes - try living just over the border in Myanmar. I seriously make trips to Thailand just to go for the 4 hour drive from Ranong down to Phuket and spend a day shopping at Lotus and Big C.

Compared to what choices and variety of goods I get over here - visiting Tesco is like going to heaven!

Plenty of English signage and shelf labels where l shop. Go to your average western supermarket and see how many Asian products they have available, not a lot in many.

Comparing apples and oranges again. I bet you there are not much buying power in Thai's in Europe but I think at least in a tourist area like Pattaya the farang buying power is considerable. Money talks - particularly in Thailand.

With regard to staff standing around, stock littering the floor, lack of cashiers at the tills - as I posted weeks ago - lack of sophisticated MANAGEMENT!!

P1ss-ups and breweries spring to mind.

I have had good service from Tesco in Udornthani.

I recently bought a TV and a VCD player, both were turned on in the store by the salesman to show that they worked properly.

You dont get this in the UK.

The price for both units (21inch TV & VCD player with speakers) was just £ 75.

The young girls at the chechouts always smile, this is so different from the UK.

ok. ok. So I am hooked on Thailand but i do appreciate being back when i return from the UK. :o

Edd.

Tescos (Phuket) was a splendid development but so badly managed. They definately need a bit of guidance from their Tescos counterparts in the UK.

I have at one time purchased Schweppes Tonic, Granador Orange Juice, Tesco Breakfast Tea, Walkers Crisps, Cadburys Chocolate, lovely big sausages, Back bacon, Becks Beer and other products at Tescos Phuket. They are stocked for about a month and you start to think...."Weerhay...This is progress....quality products."

You tell your friends, everyone starts buying them. The Phuket gazette even comments that "Tescos is now selling xxxx". Expats in their droves start adding the items to their shopping lists.

The next week there is no sign of them. Nothing on the shelves. I have even written to the manager saying "What happened to the Tesco Breakfast teabags? They were lovely." His standard reply. There's no demand!

:o You can only laugh.

I think it is Big Calamity. It is more expensive than Lotus/Tesco and the vegetables are seldom fresh and oftimes rotting in the store. Stock control at both outlets in Phuket is pathetic but I found to be worse at Big C. At Big C there always seems to be crowds of local teenagers wandering around whilst at Tesco there are always crowds of farangs with loaded trolleys wandering around. I think that the Tesco site is a more upmarket affair then the big C site. At Big C they have even allowed local market traders to take over whole sections of the car park, so there is now even more conjestion for those who still try to shop there.

I agree with others here, about time we had Carrefours or any other competition here in Phuket. The markets are great for vegetables, fish etc. But I like many locals have to provide for a young family and therefore need somewhere like Tescos. Service needs to improve but I do like Tesco.

Looks like the "grocer"is on the move again :o

J :D uly 15, 2004

Tesco deal opens door to Chinese market

TESCO became the first British supermarket group to enter China yesterday, in a £140 million deal that could transform the company into the world’s biggest grocer.

Tesco has agreed to buy a 50 per cent stake in the 25-strong Hymall hypermarket chain from Ting Hsing, the biggest food producer in China.

The move would allow Tesco to take on the likes of Wal-Mart and Carrefour, the world’s two biggest retailers, which already have a presence in the communist state.

A small deal,”one analyst said. “But China is a market of such size and potential that if Tesco gets things right over there, you could see them overtaking their bigger rivals.”

Tesco, which already operates in five Asian countries, said that the Hymall chain potentially gave it access to 76 million consumers through 25 stores.

Sir Terry Leahy, chief executive of Tesco, has made no secret of his desire to enter China, as competition heats up in the British grocery market. Tesco leads in Britain, ahead of Asda, which is owned by Wal-Mart.

Sir Terry told journalists recently: “To be a significant world player, you have to be present in places like China.”

Yesterday’s long-awaited move into China follows a rapid expansion into other markets in Asia saw its profits increase by 25 per cent last year to £1.7 billion.

Tesco presently has 179 stores and 34,000 employees across its Asian businesses in Thailand, South Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia and Japan.

Last year the retailer’s Asian businesses had sales growth of 31 per cent, while underlying operating profits in the five countries across South East Asia grew by almost 72 per cent.

Sir Terry said yesterday: “China is one of the largest economies in the world with tremendous forecast growth and a market we have researched extensively over the last three years.”

Today's top business stories from The Times: July 15, 2004