Khon Kean new bus station sucks!

losworld

Okay I am not from KK but I have to comment when I see something built stupidly or by courrption or both. I recenlty travelled to KK and have used the downtown "air conditioned" station many times before. Hey it's not the best but it beats the hell out of the new bus station.

So Kk builds a bus station as far out of town as they possibly can and the taxi drivers all want 150 baht non metered fare. So for instance if you went to Bkok via Nakhonchai air the bus would cost you around 900 return and the taxi 300.

Additonally there is not indoor seating with the exception of maybe 20 seats and even these are not airconditioned. At the old station you could wait in Nakhonchai Air station in relative comfort and same for Chan Tours. Now they have a huge concrete block more resembling the train station with no air conditioning and no fans and no entertainment. There was only one vendor selling a couple soft drinks and virtually no choice of food or refreshment. To top things off the new "restrooms" inside the building were chained shut and you had to pay to use the one outside.

Oh another point the taxis are required to park roughly 100 meteres from the station so you get to drag your luggage across a field with no sidewalk to the cars. This should be a real treat in the rainy season.

Corruption? Stupidity?

Edited by losworld
  • Like 1

I hear you. Try Sakhon Nakhon's 'new' bus station if you want real stupidity though.

It is built so far out of town it is nearly in the next province. But guess who the land

belongs to? wink.png Probably the same story in Khon Kaen.

• Like 1

yeah maybe the VIP now stands for "very idiotic placement"... I am sure some upstanding politician was happy to surrender his swamp for the creation of this 7th Wonder of Isaan... maybe time for the redshirts to start protesting in their own backyard then worry about Bangkok...

The photos of the new KK station look a lot like the existing main station in downtown Udon Thani... indoor offices/building in the front with an elongated roof-only area in the rear containing some passenger-waiting seating, with buses parking diagonally along both sides of the elongated rear area.

Udon also has no air con areas in the waiting area for buses, but at least they have a lot/enough seating under the roof-covered waiting section. Likewise, I don't remember any fans there either, though they did have a single TV hung from the ceiling in one area of the terminal.

What's happened to the (old) NCA station in downtown KK with its indoor and somewhat air-con waiting area? It was located in the corner of the U-shaped street containing the old air con bus terminal there.

The description of the new KK air con terminal doesn't sound so good. But admittedly, it was a real time killer when air con buses arriving to KK and the old terminal had to navigate through the busy streets of downtown KK to get in and then out of the old air con terminal and back on the highway.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

The description of the new KK air con terminal doesn't sound so good. But admittedly, it was a real time killer when air con buses arriving to KK and the old terminal had to navigate through the busy streets of downtown KK to get in and then out of the old air con terminal and back on the highway.

Exactly my thought too.

The location is not selected by some conspiracy theory but simply by the fact, that it is situated at the bypass and saving travellers time who pass through KK. Sure, for busses terminating in KK it would be a bad choice.

Its so funny to watch threads like this that give opportunity to simple minds to throw their prejudice in the ring.

Exactly my thought too.

The location is not selected by some conspiracy theory but simply by the fact, that it is situated at the bypass and saving travellers time who pass through KK. Sure, for busses terminating in KK it would be a bad choice.

Its so funny to watch threads like this that give opportunity to simple minds to throw their prejudice in the ring.

I understand that after dropping off 'through' or ;'transit' passengers at the new terminal (and it is very convenient for them) the buses, at least from BKK, then continue to the old terminal in the centre of KK. Disregarding the relatively poor facilities at present, it does seem to make a lot of sense.

Certainly saves me a lot of time at least.

Exactly my thought too.

Duh... don't you think that since the people of KK are paying for the new station it should benefit them? And if you think that building a bus station three times as far out as the airport is a good idea then I have some ice for sale in Anchorage. Duh...

Exactly my thought too.

I understand that after dropping off 'through' or ;'transit' passengers at the new terminal (and it is very convenient for them) the buses, at least from BKK, then continue to the old terminal in the centre of KK. Disregarding the relatively poor facilities at present, it does seem to make a lot of sense.

only problem with your points is that the buses do not continue to the old terminal you will need a non metered taxi 100 meters across the grass field lol

Are there any scheduled (as opposed to charted) songthaews which ply the route from the new bus station to the central part of the city and vice versa ? At the risk of stating the obvious, buses are mostly for people who do not have cars. It is hard to believe that there isn't at least one songthaew route which has been extended to the new bus station, to serve those who don't want to pay as much to go into town, as they did to come from Khorat, for example.

Exactly my thought too.

only problem with your points is that the buses do not continue to the old terminal you will need a non metered taxi 100 meters across the grass field lol

The bus from Mo Chit that stopped at the new terminal gave me the option of staying onboard to go into the old KK terminal..

The new Khon Kaen Song Taew map available at the new bus station shows 8 different routes that terminate at the bus station including 8 & 10 but they show alternate destinations as well so I guess you have the make sure the driver will take you there before hopping on.

• Like 1

What's happened to the (old) NCA station in downtown KK with its indoor and somewhat air-con waiting area? It was located in the corner of the U-shaped street containing the old air con bus terminal there.

It's still there but is now a minibus terminal, mostly for the minibus service to UdonThani.

Exactly my thought too.

We exactly, and the massive huge city streets of khon kaen just loved all these buses trying to get in and out of the centre of town. When are they moving the non ac. That is the absolute worst place in the world in terms of traffic.

Give it 5 years, out in the ring road it will be buzzing.

Exactly my thought too.

Duh... don't you think that since the people of KK are paying for the new station it should benefit them? And if you think that building a bus station three times as far out as the airport is a good idea then I have some ice for sale in Anchorage. Duh...

Hardly...if its the one I'm thinking of, its just on the edge of the ring road. You know.that huge ring road where it is all of 5km from Central. I know people with driveways longer than that.

When are they moving the non ac. That is the absolute worst place in the world in terms of traffic.

You have not seen all of the world biggrin.png

And if you think that building a bus station three times as far out as the airport is a good idea

Nonsense.

You have no clue where it is, have you?

Airport and this bus terminal are about the same distance from Central World e.g., as seen in this map:

https://www.google.de/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201476835443906067029.0004f4b59f194c2e5c6b0

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

When are they moving the non ac. That is the absolute worst place in the world in terms of traffic.

And if you think that building a bus station three times as far out as the airport is a good idea

Nonsense.

Airport and this bus terminal are about the same distance from Central World e.g., as seen in this map:

https://www.google.de/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201476835443906067029.0004f4b59f194c2e5c6b0

Great map, now I know why it seemed so far from central KK. We drove out past Global and turned left last Wed. It's still not as convenient and comfortable as the old place but it looks like it will have to do now. There will be more vendors soon. My guess is the tour companies will rent space when shophouses are built on the adjacent lots.

Now that I think about it I got off at the maintenance lot right across from the exit to the old station on a previous trip.

Why didn't I get off there the second time? DOH! Let's just say I was sleeping deeply and my memory of that first trip is a little fuzzy. On the second trip BIL picked us up at the new station in my brandy new (old) pickup so it was no big deal. There was a long line of meter taxis waiting but no takers.

Edited by riceyummm

Nonsense.

Who in their right minds build a bus station as far out as an airport? The reason airports are generally so far out is they require large tracts of land and due to noise. No one but an idiot would agree to the location or construction of this terminal. Go spend a lovely day at the new bus station this April but don't forget a comfortable chair, bug repellant and your own fan.

Edited by losworld

I was just at the new bus terminal. NCA has an air con waiting room just as big if not bigger as at the old one. For other bus lines (for now) there is no air con same as at the old station -- but there is a big upstairs area that may go air con some day.

Nonsense.

I've seen that bus station and tried to drive past and around it 1000 times though. 100m from the biggest intersection and a train line with gates on it. They try to get 100s of buses per day into the busiest part of of town surrounded by all the government buildings. It is in a truly shocking place.

Nonsense.

Who in their right minds build a bus station as far out as an airport? The reason airports are generally so far out is they require large tracts of land and due to noise. No one but an idiot would agree to the location or construction of this terminal. Go spend a lovely day at the new bus station this April but don't forget a comfortable chair, bug repellant and your own fan.

Maybe more to the point. How many towns have the local airport 4 or 5 km from the main highway inside the ring road.

They are trying to move these facilities out of town, the tessaban are supposed to move out to the bus station. Why are u so worried, if u don't like it, buy a car. I don't know why you think thai bus services are some kind of luxury travel concept.

So according to Thai at Heartless the struggling Thais can just "buy a car" if they do not like the new bus station. I am surprised you did not just tell them to walk. Are you related to Marie Antoinette or do you just wish you were?

OK so I'll agree that while the new bus station solves problems of buses maneuvering through central Khon Kaen city it does create logistical problems and maybe additional expense for those who must rely on public transportation to get there.

So now what?

So according to Thai at Heartless the struggling Thais can just "buy a car" if they do not like the new bus station. I am surprised you did not just tell them to walk. Are you related to Marie Antoinette or do you just wish you were?

Its if I remember 2 sets of lights on the mitrapaap to get to central. All of about 4 or 5 km as the crow flies. In most countries it would be considered very close to the city.

It had to move . it caused hugr traffic jams in town, before u get onto the pollution on srichant. Embrace it. Its called progress.

OK so I'll agree that while the new bus station solves problems of buses maneuvering through central Khon Kaen city it does create logistical problems and maybe additional expense for those who must rely on public transportation to get there.

So now what?

Well its hardly 100 miles away. Its walking distance to Tesco from there. Land and house is only 1km away.

So now what?

Well its hardly 100 miles away. Its walking distance to Tesco from there. Land and house is only 1km away.

The L&H folks have their driver drop them off -- there is a songtaew from Tesco to the station so why would anyone walk?

I used the station RT to BKK last week -- if there are Thai folk complaining about the new station I did not notice it. Me -- I just rode my motorbike there and left it for a couple of nights.

Its if I remember 2 sets of lights on the mitrapaap to get to central. All of about 4 or 5 km as the crow flies. In most countries it would be considered very close to the city.

It had to move . it caused hugr traffic jams in town, before u get onto the pollution on srichant. Embrace it. Its called progress.

Well if that is progress I am glad you are not designing the next space shuttle. biggrin.png Lets look at pros and cons:

OLD STATION:

Pros - Nakhonchai Air, Chan Tours, 417 all have air con seating areas. Centrally located and easy to access. Plenty of food vendors in the area. Bugs not a problem. Taxis and tuk tuks nearby.

Cons - creates some increased traffic in the downtown area. So does the non air con bus station and they aren't moving that one.

NEW STATION:

Cons: No aircon area for 417 or Chan Tours. No fans in the terminal outdoor seating area comprising 90 percent of the seats. Pay toilets (yes that is right the new toilets inside chained shut). Only one food vendor with a few bags of chips and a few soft drinks. Not centrally located a 150 baht non metered taxi trip. Taxis parked across a field. Bugs galore.

Pros: Saves time if you are on the south end of KK. Remeber the farther north you are such as University students using the bus the farther you must travel. Reduces some traffic inside the city.

And I would venture to say the greatest contributor to KK traffic was the ridiculous tax free car buying program not to mention the rebate plan.

Need I say more? This is progress?

Edited by losworld