2006 Soccer World Cup (english Commentary)

skippy

Dear Customerservice,

Can you please confirm if ENGLISH commentry will be available from my UBC remote control when the games are being played on Thai TV via UBCTV?

Thank you.

Rgds,

Skippy.

REPLY from UBCTV:

Dear Skippy,

Thank you very much for your e-mail below. Regarding to your inquiry about English commentary on World cup, after we checked with Sports Department we would like to inform you that no English commentary will be broadcasting concerning about the commentary license.

Should you have any further queries, please contact our customer service at tel: 0-2271-7171 or email; [email protected]

Best regards,

Customer Service Support

CRM: Customer Relationship Management

Customer Service Support

Service Correspondence: CSS/Operations

T: +66(0) 2271-7171

F: +66(0) 2271-7500

E: [email protected]

N: www.ubctv.com

UNITED BROADCASTING CORPORATION

Tipco Tower, 118/1 Rama VI Road, Samsen Nai, Phaya Thai, Bangkok, 10400

Surely you can change the language on your remote? Providing you have the decoder etc. Do you think that UBC wouldn't give their viewers that option? Ok. Firstly Thai will be their main concern. But since there is so many tourists and expats here. I'll be surprised if you cant get it in English.

Edited by Jockstar

If you ever watch the Dutch football on UBC, the dual languages are in Thai and Chinese with no commentary in either English or Dutch. Perhaps similar to the Dutch football, the Thai TV companies have bought their TV rights via China or some other country. You never know we could end up listening to Thai and Swahili during the World Cup. :o

WC broadcasting rights belong to Dhosapak. These rights do not include English commentary. WC games will be available on free Thai TV channels that are also broadcast through UBC, as usual.

If there's no English on original Thai TV channels, no buttons on UBC remote will add it.

The best idea so far is to find live Internet radio broadcast and turn TV sound off.

Hold your horses.

That BBC broadcast is meant for UK only. They'll probably block anyone connecting from outside, like Thailand.

The problem is far from solved. In fact it appears unsolvable at the moment.

We'll know for sure only tomorrow night.

For all my Swedish friends here in Thailand: I asked SR if they will send World Cup on Webradio. The answere:

Absolut! Så klart att du ska lyssna på fotbolls-VM i webbradion. Här

kommer länken till alla sändningstider. Glad sommar!

http://www.sr.se/cgi-bin/Radiosporten/nyhe...&Artikel=851179

In English: Of course you should listen to World Cup on webradio.

So the Swedes will have no problem with good commentators for World cup.

I hope all other countries will have the same service !

World Cup in English at The Londoner g get your livers and face paint ready, the World Cup starts tomorrow!!!

The Londoner will be airing the World Cup with English commentary on all 12 of our satellite TVs, our new flatscreens, and of course the pub's megascreen. Book now, to save yourself a seat and avoid disappointment.

Call 02-261-0238/9 or email [email protected]

YEAH!!!! WORLD CUP 2006!!!!

Hold your horses.

That BBC broadcast is meant for UK only. They'll probably block anyone connecting from outside, like Thailand.

The problem is far from solved. In fact it appears unsolvable at the moment.

We'll know for sure only tomorrow night.

What...? Where does it say on the BBC site that it streams in the UK only..?

I've listened to BBC radio via internet in Thailand many times.. it's never been blocked.. :o

totster :D

live football is not streamed. its for the uk only.

unless your computer (ip adress??) is in the uk, live feeds stop when the game starts.

talksport radio , another uk radio station will as far as i can make out, have live streaming of games not dependant on where you are logged on from.

http://www1.talksport.net/index.asp?a=1,

but we wont know for sure until england kick off.

Thanks for the various live radio links. All we need now is a [working] internet connection. My 1 mb/s True line is likely to sound like "This is David Beckham's wet dream, a free kick from a perfect position just outside the penalty area. Beck..............oooooo.........could the goalie.........illiant.........has been shown the yellow card..................insane tackle by..............sent off...............furious......he is definitely limpi.......ooks painf..................does this spell a disas..............." etc. etc.

I'll try to stream 16 kb/s broadcast, if I'm really lucky it might work...

Happy WC!

Somewhere on the inet will be streaming it, I can guaranteed it. :D

In English? Link please.

There ain't nowhere on the net that is streaming English. I've been looking for weeks.

My last hope was the BBC broadband, because I couldn't see how they could block it. But they have - I tried to connect and got a message that it has been blocked because I'm outside the UK.

I'm mega pissed off as I planned to go down the road and watch the S. African telecast, but the wif'es pissed off on the piss and I'm left looking after her son. (she was supposed to be home at 8.p.m!!)

Pissed off ain't f..cking word. :o:D

Somewhere on the inet will be streaming it, I can guaranteed it. :D

In English? Link please.

There ain't nowhere on the net that is streaming English. I've been looking for weeks.

My last hope was the BBC broadband, because I couldn't see how they could block it. But they have - I tried to connect and got a message that it has been blocked because I'm outside the UK.

I'm mega pissed off as I planned to go down the road and watch the S. African telecast, but the wif'es pissed off on the piss and I'm left looking after her son. (she was supposed to be home at 8.p.m!!)

Pissed off ain't f..cking word. :o:D

I've been looking all over and found nought - BBC is fking useless. :D

Thanks for the various live radio links. All we need now is a [working] internet connection. My 1 mb/s True line is likely to sound like "This is David Beckham's wet dream, a free kick from a perfect position just outside the penalty area. Beck..............oooooo.........could the goalie.........illiant.........has been shown the yellow card..................insane tackle by..............sent off...............furious......he is definitely limpi.......ooks painf..................does this spell a disas..............." etc. etc.

I'll try to stream 16 kb/s broadcast, if I'm really lucky it might work...

Happy WC!

It is far more likely to say, "Due to contractual restrictions the current program is not available in your territory".

Can't listen on the BBC or Talk Radio.

Are there any other English Speaking stations - I'm thinking there may be a US or Aussie one?

Eurosport.com and eurosport.com/uk are doing live streams of most matches in several languages, english included, England v Paraguay live.

Just trying to get on now with dail up, very slow even at this time so will probly be useless for myself, hope it helps you BB users.

Edited by mcfester

For those who live in Pattaya and have Sophon Cable TV, DD National, the Indian National Braodcaster, (Sophon Channel 39), will be telecasting the semi final and final games live, with, presumably, English commentary. Last night they covered the opening game live in English, hopefully it will be the same for the semi's and final. The bad news is they aren't covering any other games in between. Not a great deal of consolation, but better than nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly –

Yes, BBC five live was blocked – I’ve been streaming the BBC for while now and was relying on 5live tomorrow evening, I just checked it out for the Swiss game with no success other than‘due to contractual issues……’ spiel….

Thank you for the talksport link (http://www1.talksport.net/index.asp?a=1)

I can’t check it until tonight’s (Mondays) Spain Vs Tunisia Game.

Has anyone had any success streaming talksport with any games over the weekend ?

And as backup – has anyone heard of any alternatives for streaming internet radio while watching the domestic TV for the football ?

Cheers……..

Firstly –

Yes, BBC five live was blocked – I’ve been streaming the BBC for while now and was relying on 5live tomorrow evening, I just checked it out for the Swiss game with no success other than‘due to contractual issues……’ spiel….

Thank you for the talksport link (http://www1.talksport.net/index.asp?a=1)

I can’t check it until tonight’s (Mondays) Spain Vs Tunisia Game.

Has anyone had any success streaming talksport with any games over the weekend ?

And as backup – has anyone heard of any alternatives for streaming internet radio while watching the domestic TV for the football ?

Cheers……..

The only one that works is the Sun internet radio transmission. The link is on one of these world cup threads. The Sun sound about 25 seconds behind the picture, so pretty frustrating, unless like me you have a dvd recorder with a"chase the programme" facility, which effectively enables me to delay the picture by the same time length.

However it is still good for background info. I have found the commentators on the top matches quite good, but on the lesser games, its not up to much - but still better than Thai :o