'Contact lost' with Malaysia Airlines plane with 239 people on board

webfact

One has to assume it was over the sea otherwise it would have been found by now.

Thoughts to all passengers and their families.

I'm not so sure about that, the flight route for this flight two hours into the flight is over land. Perhaps mountains over Laos or Vietnam.

Other flight tracking data service has the plane losing altitude and suddenly changing direction at the same time data stopped.

What's your source for that?

I have checked about 10 this morning, they are somewhat un reliable, some of them better than others. I just checked another one which shows the plane as landed. I will try to get you a link.

Here's a SMH report stating exactly what I saw on the other flight tracker.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/malaysia-airlines-plane-missing-with-more-than-200-passengers-on-board-20140308-hvgnx.html

I have a friend at Malaysian and I just tried to call his phone but it's turned off. I mean he won't know anything, but I'm worried not knowing his schedule. :(

Edited by neverdie
  • Like 1

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to this article http://malaysiandigest.com/frontpage/282-main-tile/492200-mas-kl-beijing-flight-missing.html the plane has been found.

However, Nanming, China mentioned is over 2,500km from KL some report say it didn't enter China airspace.

Lets hope they made it there.... However I have my doubts unfortunately.

Many conflicting report coming out.

Edit-: It would appear that there is a high chance that the news article I linked above has arisen from some fake twitter feeds.... - thats what I've read elsewhere at least.

Edited by Pomthai

AVIATION
Malaysian flight with 227 on board lost in airspace

Malaysia Airlines says it has lost contact with a plane travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, with 239 people on board.

The airline said in a statement that flight MH370 disappeared at 02:40 local time on Saturday (18:40 GMT on Friday), BBC reported.

It was expected to land in Beijing at 06:30 (22:30 GMT). "Malaysia Airlines is currently working with the authorities who have activated their search and rescue team to locate the aircraft," the carrier said. "Our team is currently calling the next-of-kin of passengers and crew."

The Boeing B777-200 aircraft was carrying 227 passengers, including two children, and 12 crew members.

"We deeply regret that we have lost all contacts with flight MH370 which departed Kuala Lumpur at 12.41 am earlier this morning bound for Beijing," said the airline.

The flight went missing two hours after taking off from Kuala Lumpur.China’s Xinhua state news agency said it was lost in airspace controlled by Vietnam.

The aircraft did not enter airspace controlled by China and did not make contact with Chinese controllers, the agency added.

Malaysia Airlines has told the BBC it will be holding a press conference later on Saturday."Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected passengers and crew and their family members," said its statement.

The airline is the national carrier of Malaysia and one of Asia’s largest, flying nearly 37,000 passengers daily to some 80 destinations worldwide.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-08

According to this article http://malaysiandigest.com/frontpage/282-main-tile/492200-mas-kl-beijing-flight-missing.html the plane has been found.

However, Nanming, China mentioned is over 2,500km from KL some report say it didn't enter China airspace.

Lets hope they made it there.... However I have my doubts unfortunately.

Many conflicting report coming out.

IF this was true someone would have made a simple phone call by now to let everybody know ......

Too much time has passed already for a miracle imho

One has to assume it was over the sea otherwise it would have been found by now.

Thoughts to all passengers and their families.

I'm not so sure about that, the flight route for this flight two hours into the flight is over land. Perhaps mountains over Laos or Vietnam.

Other flight tracking data service has the plane losing altitude and suddenly changing direction at the same time data stopped.

No, I've just been told this flight should have been over water and my friend is ok.

Apparent the airline is just about to make a media conference or briefing shortly.

For those who are interested in the details

The plane was at 35,000 feet and climbing at 960 feet since its last status report. It then went quiet.

Unfortunately at 35,000 feet, not likely we will be hearing of survivors.

This is everyone's worst nightmare. A 5* airline, of excellent reputation, on a busy route. Almost everyone has good things to say about MAS. I know I did and I thought they were a professional crew during the years I was a regular pax. My hopes are for a different result. Sadness may be the order of the day.

I have edited my post because it is contrary to the statement of one of the aviation industry's better respected source of information, the Aviation Herald. Aviation Herald has an excellent reputation and acknowledged reliable contacts within the airline industry and aviation regulatory agencies. It does not speculate, but reports only established fact.

According to The Aviation Herald's radar data the aircraft was last regularly seen at 17:22Z (01:22L) about half way between Kuala Lumpur and Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam) at FL350 over the Gulf of Thailand about 260nm north northeast of Kuala Lumpur 40 minutes into the flight, followed by anomalies in the radar data of the aircraft over the next minute (the anomalies may be related to the aircraft but could also be caused by the aircraft leaving the range of the receiver).Aviation sources in China report that radar data suggest a steep and sudden descent of the aircraft, during which the track of the aircraft changed from 024 degrees to 333 degrees. The aircraft was estimated to contact Ho Chi Minh Control Center (Vietnam) at 01:20L, but contact was never established.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

RT @mpoppel: Sky News: Authorities at Nanning Airport in China deny internet rumors that missing jet made emergency landing there

and hence lies the problem with relying on the internet and also some of those flight tracking sites, I've read a couple that conflict with each other.

The plane was at 35,000 feet and climbing at 960 feet since its last status report. It then went quiet.

The plane will have most likely gone down over Malaysia. as the data stopped while the plane was still in Malaysian airspace. (And yes, I am aware that China says it was in Vietnam airspace. Unfortunately, the data trail indicates otherwise, so there will have to be an explanation given.)

This is everyone's worst nightmare. A 5* airline, of excellent reputation, on a busy route. Almost everyone has good things to say about MAS. I know I did and I thought they were a professional crew during the years I was a regular pax.

My hopes are for a different result. Sadness may be the order of the day.

Those flight tracking sites often have incomplete data. That data you refer to ended just 20 minutes into the flight but media report suggest that Air Traffic control contact was lost around the two hour mark.

Obviously the pilots don't speak continuously to air traffic control but rather call in at certain points along the route. Obviously they did not call and the. failed to answer air traffic calls. There is a window of time from last contact to when they have failed to contact.

Do t get too hooked up on flight aware ( flight tracking sites ).

• Like 2

The plane will have most likely gone down over Malaysia. as the data stopped while the plane was still in Malaysian airspace. (And yes, I am aware that China says it was in Vietnam airspace. Unfortunately, the data trail indicates otherwise, so there will have to be an explanation given.)

This is everyone's worst nightmare. A 5* airline, of excellent reputation, on a busy route. Almost everyone has good things to say about MAS. I know I did and I thought they were a professional crew during the years I was a regular pax.

After 2 hours in flight and at FL35 and still above Malaysia? Doesn't really add up.

• Like 1

Those flight tracking sites often have incomplete data. That data you refer to ended just 20 minutes into the flight but media report suggest that Air Traffic control contact was lost around the two hour mark.

Obviously the pilots don't speak continuously to air traffic control but rather call in at certain points along the route. Obviously they did not call and the. failed to answer air traffic calls. There is a window of time from last contact to when they have failed to contact.

Yep. To my knowledge, the data is based on a network of amateur peers who intercept the beacon (?) signals of the airplanes and stream them to a central server. Its not a "professional" source and its accuracy depends on the amount of peers on the ground.

Just have a look over Central Asia (Turkmenistan, Uzbekhistan) and you would assume no planes on route to and from Asia to Europe..

Also flights to Thai provincial airports like Khon Kaen: no trace on Flightradar.

Same for ship tracking. The vessel with our load bound to Singapore/Bangkok got "lost" for more than a week.

From what I read the plane got lost over the sea between ML and Vietnam which makes sense.

Sad, RIP.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Yes, I also read 160 Chineese, 1 Russian, 13 Nationalities in total including some Australian.

The media briefing is going right Now.

They are saying 7 Australian, 2 New Zealanders.

Edited by neverdie

Yep. To my knowledge, the data is based on a network of amateur peers who intercept the beacon (?) signals of the airplanes and stream them to a central server. Its not a "professional" source and its accuracy depends on the amount of peers on the ground.

Just have a look over Central Asia (Turkmenistan, Uzbekhistan) and you would assume no planes on route to and from Asia to Europe..

Same for ship tracking. The vessel with our load bound to Singapore/Bangkok got "lost" for more than a week.

From what I read the plane got lost over the sea between ML and Vietnam which makes sense.

Sad, RIP.

How flightradar24.com works

http://www.flightradar24.com/how-it-works

Latest news 10:25am Sat 08 Mar14... FLIGHT MH370 on route from KL to Beijing failed to check in whilst in flight over Vietnam air space. A full emergency rescue operation is in full swing at present in an effort to locate the missing aircraft.

After 2 hours in flight and at FL35 and still above Malaysia? Doesn't really add up.

Two hours. That's about the time in flight to Bangkok from KL.

1 hour into flight @ cruising altitude.

Your criticism is valid. I have edited my post because a reliable source of information says, I was not correct. I apologize.

• Like 1

Latest news 10:25am Sat 08 Mar14... FLIGHT MH370 on route from KL to Beijing failed to check in whilst in flight over Vietnam air space. A full emergency rescue operation is in full swing at present in an effort to locate the missing aircraft.

Latest news 10:40am Sat 08 Mar14 ...

As reported ... the plane was in flight somewhere between Ho Chi Min and Malaysia when contact could not established. Malaysian Airlines has just reported there is no confirmation on a crash.

The B777, is a state of the art A/C, MH Maintenance Control would know where the A/C is at any time from info constantly downlinked, including current position from the Flt.Management Computers.

Also, the A/C position, when flying in controlled airspace, would be evident to ATC, via the onboard transponders.

When flying in areas of conflicting traffic using "airways", not only must the crew strictly follow their assigned airway, but they must report via radio when they are to cross an airway. Airways are the highways in the sky that all A/C follow from point to point & crossing an airway is similar to a car at an intersection. This reporting occurs even though the crossing A/C WILL be at different altitudes.

Lastly, the fuel on board expired hours ago and with no reported contact, we must assume the A/C has gone down enroute, lets all hope all on board survived.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Experienced Captain with 18,000 hours, First Officer with 2700 hours.

Also 2 Canadians, 1 from Austria, 12 Indonesians, 3 from USA.

Very sad indeed.

It's far too early to speculate on what went wrong, sadly the media will start speculating soon, untidy business that.

• Like 1

1 hour into flight @ cruising altitude.

Your criticism is valid. I have edited my post because a reliable source of information says, I was not correct. I apologize.

No need to apologize, nobody has actual info, airline states they lost contact after about 2 hours.

" We deeply regret that we have lost all contacts with flight MH370 which departed Kuala Lumpur at 12.41 am earlier this morning bound for Beijing. The aircraft was scheduled to land at Beijing International Airport at 6.30am local Beijing time. Subang Air Traffic Control reported that it lost contact at 2.40am (local Malaysia time) today."

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/site/dark-site.html