webfact

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Latest news 10:50am ..

Malaysia Airlines says it has not yet confirmed missing flight has crashed; Vietnam search and rescue official says no signal received from plane.

The pilot was Capt. Zaharie Ahmad Shah, 53; he joined airlines in 1981 .

Latest news 10:55am ...

News just coming in from the Malaysian Prime Minister :

Malaysia Prime Minister Najib Razak: My thoughts and prayers are with the family members of [Malaysia Airlines] flight MH370. I've asked all measures possible to be taken.

Malaysia Airlines says last contact with missing plane over South China Sea

A missing Malaysia Airlines flight carrying 227 passengers and 12 crew last had contact with air traffic controllers 120 nautical miles off the east coast of the Malaysian town of Kota Bharu, the airline said on Saturday.

Malaysian and Vietnamese authorities were working jointly on search operations in the area and the airline could not yet confirm the plane had crashed, Malaysia Airlines chief executive Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said in a statement read to a news conference.

Source: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_03_08/Malaysia-Airlines-says-last-contact-with-missing-plane-over-South-China-Sea-1457/

-- THE VOICE OF RUSSIA 2014-03-08

One has to assume it was over the sea otherwise it would have been found by now.

Thoughts to all passengers and their families.

I'm not so sure about that, the flight route for this flight two hours into the flight is over land. Perhaps mountains over Laos or Vietnam.

Other flight tracking data service has the plane losing altitude and suddenly changing direction at the same time data stopped.

What's your source for that?

An Australian Newspaper had a photo of a flightscanner page with its last reported position about 100k east of Kuantan which does seem pretty slow for 2 hours.

Perhaps not good timing, but I am impressed by MAS handling of the situation so far. Clear statements on its website including phone numbers to call. Deployment of key executives to provide whatever information they can. And now a release of a pax manifest. Finally, an airline gets it and is responding properly.

Agreed. No nice way to break this kind of news but they seem to have stuck to a tight process that must have been put in place for this kind of situation. Doesn't look like they are making it up as they go along.

Just trying to control my tears. I have a 2.5 year old and I saw 2 infants on the manifest. My heart is torn.

So speculation will start. From what I have read so far, it appears that something happened very suddenly to cause an immediate descent and change of heading with no time for the crew to make an emergency call. Maybe that alleged prior wingtip damage to the same aircraft was a factor; explosive decompression and airframe breakup possible; mid-air collision or explosive device unlikely. Hopefully, eventually some evidence will be found.

AVIATION
Malaysia Airlines verifying report that missing plane lands in Nanming

Malaysia Airlines are working to verify the authenticity that its flight MH370 that had lost contact with traffic control has reportedly landed in Nanming, Group CEO Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said Saturday.

In his statement, he confirmed that the flight had lost contact with Subang Air Traffic Control at 2.40am, today. It It departed Kuala Lumpur at 12.41 am earlier this morning bound for Beijing. The aircraft was scheduled to land at Beijing International Airport at 6.30am local Beijing time.

"We are deeply saddened this morning with the news on MH370. There has been speculation that the aircraft has landed at Nanming. We are working to verify the authenticity of the report and others," he said. He apparently referred to Nanming in China.

The flight was carrying a total number of 239 passengers and crew - comprising 227 passengers (including 2 infants), 12 crew members. The passengers were of 14 different nationalities from; China - 152 plus 1 infant, Malaysia - 38, Indonesia - 12, Australia - 7, France - 3, United States of America - 3 pax plus 1 infant, New Zealand - 2, Ukraine - 2, Canada - 2, and one each from Russia, Italy, Taiwan, Netherlands and Austria.

The flight was piloted by Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah, 53, a Malaysian. He has a total flying hours of 18,365 hours and joined Malaysia Airlines in 1981. First officer, Fariq Ab.Hamid, a Malaysian, 27 and has a total flying hours of 2,763 hours. He joined Malaysia Airlines in 2007.

Our focus now is to work with the emergency responders and authorities and mobilize its full support. Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected passengers and crew and their family members, Ahmad said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-08

Just found this. http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0

This states

Aviation sources in China report that radar data suggest a steep and sudden descent of the aircraft, during which the track of the aircraft changed from 024 degrees to 333 degrees. The aircraft was estimated to contact Ho Chi Minh Control Center (Vietnam) at 01:20L, but contact was never established.

I have no idea to the validity of this site.

Not good and my thoughts are with the crew, passengers and their families.

It's a Boeing 777-200 series and it could be potentially the first hull loss with fatalities for this series of aircraft. There are currently over 1000, 777-200 series in service, worldwide.

Let's hope it's located with survivors as it can't possibly be still airborne as it is now hours overdue.

Not strictly true mate, the Asiana crash in the USA sadly claimed 3 lives.

I echo your sentiments re the crew, passengers & families.

Perhaps not good timing, but I am impressed by MAS handling of the situation so far. Clear statements on its website including phone numbers to call. Deployment of key executives to provide whatever information they can. And now a release of a pax manifest. Finally, an airline gets it and is responding properly.

My thoughts exactly.

Malaysia Airlines flight went missing in Vietnamese airspace: govt

HANOI, March 8, 2014 (AFP) - A Malaysia Airlines flight carrying 239 people from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing that went missing early Saturday disappeared in Vietnamese airspace, the government said.

"The plane lost contact in Ca Mau province airspace before it had entered contact with Ho Chi Minh City air traffic control," a statement posted on the official Vietnamese government website said.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-03-08

MAS hunts for missing plane carrying 239

KUALA LUMPUR (AFP) - Malaysia Airlines said a flight carrying 239 people from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing went missing early Saturday, and the airline was notifying next of kin in a sign it expected the worst.

The airline said flight MH370 disappeared at 2:40 am local time (1840 GMT Friday), about two hours after leaving Kuala Lumpur International Airport. It had been due to arrive in Beijing at 6:30 am local time (2230 GMT Friday).

It was carrying 227 passengers, including two infants, from 13 different nationalities, and 12 crew members.

China's state television said 158 of the passengers were Chinese.

"We deeply regret that we have lost all contacts with flight MH370 which departed Kuala Lumpur at 12.41 am earlier this morning bound for Beijing," Malaysia Airlines Group Chief Executive Officer Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said in a statement.

The statement said the Malaysian flag carrier was working with authorities, who had launched an effort to locate the aircraft.

"Our team is currently calling the next-of-kin of passengers and crew," Ahmad Jauhari said.

The plane was a Boeing 777-200. The airline's Kuala Lumpur-Beijing route passes roughly over the Indochinese peninsula.

A Malaysian Airlines spokeswoman said she could not immediately provide further details.

"This news has made us all very worried," Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said in a statement.

"We hope every one of the passengers is safe. We are doing all we can to get more details."

'Contact lost over Vietnam airspace'

A report by China's Xinhua news agency said contact was lost with the plane while it was over Vietnamese airspace.

A Beijing airport spokeswoman said the facility had activated an emergency response system. Screens at the airport indicated the flight was "delayed".

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-03-08

MAS denies report its missing flight landed in China

Malaysia Airlines has denied online reports that the Beijing-bound flight MH370 was forced to make an emergency landing in Xian or Nanning, China.

An MAS spokesman confirmed that the claims, made mostly on micro-blogging site Twitter, were untrue.

In a statement earlier this morning, MAS said that that flight MH370 lost contact with Subang Air Traffic Control at 2.40am.

The Boeing B777-200 aircraft took off from the Kuala Lumpur International Airport at 12.41am this morning and was due to land in Beijing at 6.30am local time. It was carrying 227 passengers including two infants and a total of 12 crew members.

The Malay Mail Online reported that MAS has sent out an email to its staff members, asking for 150 volunteers, preferably Mandarin-speaking, to go to China this afternoon as caregivers.

MAS group chief executive officer Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said in a statement at 9.05am this morning that the plane is still being located by a search and rescue team.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-08

An Australian Newspaper had a photo of a flightscanner page with its last reported position about 100k east of Kuantan which does seem pretty slow for 2 hours.

I'm not so sure about that, the flight route for this flight two hours into the flight is over land. Perhaps mountains over Laos or Vietnam.

Other flight tracking data service has the plane losing altitude and suddenly changing direction at the same time data stopped.

Edited by jpinx

http://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1/1958414_638915666157678_1741710137_n.png

I guess I moved kuantan a bit south but it still has only gone about an hour on this map.

Not good and my thoughts are with the crew, passengers and their families.

It's a Boeing 777-200 series and it could be potentially the first hull loss with fatalities for this series of aircraft. There are currently over 1000, 777-200 series in service, worldwide.

Let's hope it's located with survivors as it can't possibly be still airborne as it is now hours overdue.

Not strictly true mate, the Asiana crash in the USA sadly claimed 3 lives.

I echo your sentiments re the crew, passengers & families.

Indeed you are right, I was thinking Asiana 214 was a 777-300 (longer version), but I am wrong. Naturally that plane was in the process of landing and we now know what happened with that crew and of course that plane was in one of the two critical phases of a flight (ie: take off and landing).

Sadly it would appear these poor souls were in the cruise phase of the flight and as previously mentioned here, perhaps something very catastrophic and sudden has occurred.

Despite all of that one and now this one, there's billions of air miles covered in 777 every year and they've got a very respectable air safety record to say the least and are basically the backbone of international long haul these days.

I hope for the sakes of the relatives that the crash site is located quickly, as is a speedy result to the investigation. Not knowing is nothing short of torturous for them.. RIP.

• Like 1

Flight tracker puts the last known position here 4.7073 102.5278 http://goo.gl/maps/kZn5Y

FlightRadar puts it here 6.93 103.59 http://goo.gl/maps/OGjhE -- which looks more likely, but still appears very slow - not even one hours flight time from KL.

Projecting the plot at 470 Knots on that track for 2 hours puts it about here -- http://goo.gl/maps/nUqG7

This states

Aviation sources in China report that radar data suggest a steep and sudden descent of the aircraft, during which the track of the aircraft changed from 024 degrees to 333 degrees. The aircraft was estimated to contact Ho Chi Minh Control Center (Vietnam) at 01:20L, but contact was never established.

One of the most reliable info sources. The site operator is a legend and well regared. He doesn't speculate and only provides factual info released from the airlines and regulatory bodies.

• Like 2

Vietnam denies locating missing Malaysia plane
News Desk
China Daily

Vietnam authorities denied report that its rescue team had detected the signal of the missing Malaysia Airlines plane, China’s state television reported on Saturday.

Earlier report said a Vietnamese official told local VNExpress that the signal has been detected from the missing flight about 220km southwest of Vietnam's southernmost coastal province of Ca Mau.

Malaysian and Vietnamese authorities were working jointly on search operations in the area and the airline could not yet confirm the plane had crashed, Malaysia Airlines chief executive Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said in a statement read to a news conference.

Flight MH 370 operating a Boeing B777-200 aircraft departed Kuala Lumpur at 12:21 am and had been expected to land in Beijing at 6:30 am the same day.

The Malaysia Airlines said there were 154 Chinese nationals aboard, including one infant. The aircraft left Kuala Lumpur International Airport at 12:41am on Saturday and was expected to land in Beijing at 0:30 am on Saturday.

"We deeply regret that we have lost all contacts with flight MH370 which departed Kuala Lumpur at 12:41am earlier this morning bound for Beijing," said Ahmad Jauhari Yahya, Malaysia Arlines group chief executive officer.

"The flight was carrying 227 passengers, including two infants,, 12 crew members," the airline said in a statement posted on its website.

"Our team is currently calling the next-of-kin of passengers and crew. Focus of the airline is to work with the emergency responders and authorities and mobilise its full support."

"Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected passengers and crew and their family members. The airline will provide regular updates on the situation," it said in a second statement.

The flight lost radar contact in airspace controlled by Vietnam in the early hours of Saturday morning.

ann.jpg
-- ANN 2014-03-08

This states

One of the most reliable info sources. The site operator is a legend and well regared. He doesn't speculate and only provides factual info released from the airlines and regulatory bodies.

I have friends in the industry. ATC, ground crew, and pilots. They all say it's an excellent source of info. They are reporting a signal has been picked up by Vietnamese authorities.

• Like 1