Missing Malaysia Airlines jet carrying 239 triggers Southeast Asia search

webfact

My company has a Diving Support Vessel within 1 to 1/1/2 days sailing distance that can send saturation divers down to 300 meters water depth and a Remote Operated Vehicle that can be deployed and search with video and sonar scanners down to 1,000 meters water depth. The Malaysian Navy website is down so no way to find a number to call there. Malaysia Airlines has no telephone numbers that answer or will connect, the Malaysian Embassy in Bangkok and the USA also do not connect when you dial their numbers.

Too bad there is no emergency response team number for those that can really offer some effective tools to maybe help save lives or at least see what is really happening subsea.

I think you need to be contacting the Vietnamese authorities, it is their airspace and so those are the people that can help you.

The Malaysian authorities are out of that jurisdiction.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without the benefit of looking at the flight path my first though was how close was this to North Korean airspace? Hopefully there are some survivors, but I fear the chances are slim.

North Korean airspace?

Most flights to China from Southeast Asia enter the PRC from Southwest China

Without the benefit of looking at the flight path my first though was how close was this to North Korean airspace? Hopefully there are some survivors, but I fear the chances are slim.

Shit Dan you not know your geography it lost contact before it reached Vietnam South believed to have gone down in the southern Gulf of Thailand and North China Sea long long way from North Vietnam. South Vietnam rescue say they have picked up signals.

Does not sound good, it was also reported to have dropped 200 metres. There are a lot of search vessels and air craft from many local countries including China, if it hit the sea I would have thought there would have been lot of debris around to see. God bless them all.

....prior mention by someone that this exact plane had a damaged tail repaired in 2012......

...has that now been suppressed...???

It actually had a damaged wing repaired but let's not let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory...

The longer they take to locate any floating debris, the less chance of ever knowing. In a single day, a current can literally carry any flotsam a good 20 miles from the impact site.

If the plane broke up in mid air at 35,000 feet, the debris can be spread across an area tens of miles wide.

Locating the flight data recorder could be very slim indeed.

A surreal and sinking feeling when one realizes something that big and full of people goes 'missing'.

Every time I fly, I wonder what the last moments are like during something like this... it is almost unimaginable.

This will obviously be headline news and we will eventually learn what happened... assuming the 'box' is located.

From all of the available information it would appear that whatever happened must have resulted in critical failure as no distress call or radio broadcast was noted and from this alone I would doubt that anyone survived, however I am surprised at the lack of specific information as to the location. All the data that has been released is in such broad generalization.

It would appear that the position was around the point where there is minimal VHF radio reception during the handover to Vietnam ATC. This would mean that the last reported position and the ultimate position might be some distance apart.

Flight MH370, operating a Boeing 777-200ER aircraft, last had contact with air traffic controllers 120 nautical miles off the east coast of the Malaysian town of Kota Bharu,

Flight tracking website flightaware.com showed the plane flew northeast over Malaysia after takeoff and climbed to an altitude of 35,000 feet. The flight vanished from the website's tracking records a minute later while it was still climbing.

doesnt that put in in Thai air space ( gulf of Thailand) not Vietnam?

8 hours ago

BREAKING: Malaysian flight MH370 aircraft found at Nanning, China. Emergency landing. Waiting comfirmation from airline

I am confused.

Even the latest news on the BBC does not make any sense.

The report from MAS ceo said that the last contact was almost 2 hours after take off, and is saying that the position was barely a few hundred miles from KL. How can this be when the plane would have been traveling at over 500 MPH within 15 minutes after take off?

That would have it at almost twice as far as the location being shown in the southern gulf of Thailand.

He specifically said that the last actual contact was at about 600 miles from KL.... how does an aircraft only cover that distance in that time? I would thought it would have covered at least 800 to 900 miles in that time and that would put it over Vietnam.

Wouldn't be a good idea to close this thread until we have more information....or at least remove the more inane and trite speculations?

As of 1810 local (about now) along with the dive barge offer (which is fantastic),

I reckon this is the best idea there is for everybody.

The longer they take to locate any floating debris, the less chance of ever knowing. In a single day, a current can literally carry any flotsam a good 20 miles from the impact site.

If the plane broke up in mid air at 35,000 feet, the debris can be spread across an area tens of miles wide.

Don't these recorders have a beacon / signal which relays positional information for a month or more ?

Reporting claims crashed in Ocean

http://www.inquisitr.com/1163413/malaysia-airlines-plane-crashed-into-the-ocean-vietnamese-media-reports/

Chinese and Vietnamese state media report that a Vietnamese Navy official says the plane crashed into the sea, according to CNN.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/world/2014/03/07/malaysian-airlines-loses-contact-with-plane-carrying/b5SX6ZDBIcza80NGBFDF6I/story.html

Don't these recorders have a beacon / signal which relays positional information for a month or more ?

That would be the ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter) and it does not operate all the time only by G-Force (impact) or it can be manually operated.

Please see:

http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/archive/2011/08/features/black-box-recorder

Indeed they do. Which makes the situation that much more bewildering as they have failed to pick up a signal.

This specific plane was 11.8 years old and had a clean safety record.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/549212-malaysia-airlines-missing-plane-found-did-plane-crash-in-china-rumors-denied-by-officials/

But the truth is:

http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/569/5691311.html

And their flight history. Please see the canceled flight a day before.

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/airplanes/9m-mro

Imagine there's no heaven

This is very odd. Very, very unusual for a plane of this age and type to 'go down'

If it is the case, of course, one's sympathies must be with those who are lost and their families.

I am not encouraged by what appears total confusion as to where the last contact with the plane was made.

The latitude/longitude figures released by various agencies are not the same. There is also the curious data on

Flightradar that the plane changed direction. In normal circumstances it is nearly impossible to 'lose' a plane

nowadays. Even if all on board electronics fail there are back-up battery systems. As far as I can see,

and I don't want to speculate there could have been instant, fatal decompression..have but only a few seconds at

35000 feet....but for what reason?...I travel on Malaysia Airlines!! Worrying!

Sorry, but you are speculating.

A rough guess, based on Google Maps, is about six thousand kilometers.

But this is a very odd incident -- safe plane, safe airline, good weather,in the middle of cruise, vanishes without trace. Something catastrophic has happened.

The only even vaguely notable fact is that it was right in the middle of the only sea crossing on the flight path. I hope we're not looking at another Silk Air/Palembang situation here.

Correct.

But some are never found especially when a plane crashes in a sea.

Also they have to be withing a certain distance from it to pick up the signal and the deeper the water the harder to pick up the signal. They need to dangle a receiver in th water and trawl around till they pick it up.

Like in an earlier post, a debris field can be huge, and in water with a current it will be moving away from the FDR.

For example. The Lockerbie disaster... The debris field was 81 miles long.

Aviation experts have expressed bewilderment at the aircraft's fate.

Online flight data suggested the aircraft may have experienced a very rapid loss of height and change of direction prior to slipping off the radar.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2014/03/08/14/31/missing-flight-had-7-australians-on-board

The reference to data appears in several comments, but there is still no attribution or source for that information..

Well , i feel a bit odd about this incident. First of all i could not login to my normal account and secondly.

yesterday night i woke up with a nightmare and i heard a high noice , most probl a coconut crashed to my toilet roof (outside toilet)

I was totally shaking and i was thinking right away that it most have happen a plane crash.

This happen to me also same time when Air France plane crashed outside Brazil. I woke up the same night and had a pulse high as hell.

Anyhow since Air France crash i have studdied airplanes and crashes for a few years ...I can with sertenly "no expert" but my idea is some big explosion happen in the air, + the decompression of the plane boddy and everything, So basicly you will not find a single thing after this.

Cos no one had a chance to send SOS even the automaticly system in place if something would happen in the cabin pressure and the pilots cant send it manually.

Well , i feel a bit odd about this incident. First of all i could not login to my normal account and secondly.

yesterday night i woke up with a nightmare and i heard a high noice , most probl a coconut crashed to my toilet roof (outside toilet)

I was totally shaking and i was thinking right away that it most have happen a plane crash.

This happen to me also same time when Air France plane crashed outside Brazil. I woke up the same night and had a pulse high as hell.

Anyhow since Air France crash i have studdied airplanes and crashes for a few years ...I can with sertenly "no expert" but my idea is some big explosion happen in the air, + the decompression of the plane boddy and everything, So basicly you will not find a single thing after this.

Cos no one had a chance to send SOS even the automaticly system in place if something would happen in the cabin pressure and the pilots cant send it manually.

well if you check out the other topic on here about this, and in particular the post about someone using a stolen passport to board.....who know's.

I dont think it is a terrorist job, if so it went totally wrong, cos no media exposure or message .They lose the point of a attack if they dont get there message out . Lets say if it was chinese muslims in north West .

I do are fancy into such things as bermuda triangle, which have factually some incidents that cant be explained naturally. Big ships and planes have been lost with no trace. Siencesfiction maybee, but Can be the plane entered a "hole" in the air and was destroyed .

well if you check out the other topic on here about this, and in particular the post about someone using a stolen passport to board.....who know's.

This is very odd. Very, very unusual for a plane of this age and type to 'go down'

If it is the case, of course, one's sympathies must be with those who are lost and their families.

I am not encouraged by what appears total confusion as to where the last contact with the plane was made.

The latitude/longitude figures released by various agencies are not the same. There is also the curious data on

Flightradar that the plane changed direction. In normal circumstances it is nearly impossible to 'lose' a plane

nowadays. Even if all on board electronics fail there are back-up battery systems. As far as I can see,

and I don't want to speculate there could have been instant, fatal decompression..have but only a few seconds at

35000 feet....but for what reason?...I travel on Malaysia Airlines!! Worrying!

While I may sound callous, I would imagine your worrying is unfounded as the chances of such an incident happening again to the same airline would be negligble.

It's not callous. It's an objective appraisal of the negligible risks of air travel. An event such as this is extremely remote, but we tend to sensationalize such rare events because we have a dread of collective vertical death as opposed to cumulative deaths by horizontal collision. Totally irrational: but that's the human condition.

Archived